Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2019, 07:22   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Volkswagen launches the next-generation manual gearbox, the MQ281

Volkswagen has developed a new state-of-the-art manual gearbox: the MQ281, as it is known, works efficiently and saves up to five grammes of CO2 per kilometre depending on the engine-gearbox combination.

The new Passat is the first vehicle to be equipped with the MQ281, followed by almost all vehicle classes of the Volkswagen Group.

Volkswagen launches the next-generation manual gearbox, the MQ281-db2019al01563_full.jpg

Quote:
The trend towards vehicles from the SUV segment with large-diameter wheels places high demands on the gearbox. “With the MQ281, we have developed a highly efficient manual gearbox that reliably meets these demands – and is soon to be introduced into a number of vehicle classes in the volume segment,
The MQ281 has a torque spectrum of 200 to 340 newton metres, which means it completely or partially supersedes the current Volkswagen gearbox designs with the internal designations MQ250 and MQ350 respectively.

-The new gearbox focussed primarily on improving efficiency
Quote:
This enabled us to design a completely new oil conduction system. Using a variety of oil conduction measures, we are able to achieve a uniform and optimum lubrication of gear wheels and bearings, reducing the amount of lifetime oil required to just 1.5 litres.” To further reduce friction, a bearing concept adapted to the gearbox was developed. The design used friction-minimised bearings with low-contact seals
The MQ281 is produced in-house. Ramp-up is currently underway in the factories in Barcelona (Spain) and Córdoba (Argentina).

Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 16th July 2019 at 07:27.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 14:31   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen launches the next-generation manual gearbox, the MQ281

A question that comes to my mind is that why a new MT especially given that 200-340Nm essentially means a mid sized to large sedan and engine capacity of 1.6 - 2.4L ( Petrol / Diesel irrespective). And cars in this range are now mostly driven by automatics.

So why develop a new MT?
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 14:37   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
A question that comes to my mind is that why a new MT especially given that 200-340Nm essentially means a mid sized to large sedan and engine capacity of 1.6 - 2.4L ( Petrol / Diesel irrespective). And cars in this range are now mostly driven by automatics.

So why develop a new MT?
There is still a very sizeable market for manual gearboxes out there. Europe and Japan alone still sport a give or take 80% manual gear box market!

Have a look at this data, a bit dated, but on a global level the manual gear box can not be discounted.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ion-worldwide/

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2019, 14:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Statista says I should pay them $49 to read the article .

So I'm taking your word for it. 80% is a huge number. But can that be divided into segment wise. My understanding is even entry level German luxury marquees come with AT. I know Superb Sportline and Passat ( Both 2.0L IIRC) have MT options. But again how many unit get sold with MT?
Old 24th March 2020, 15:01   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

VW To Keep The Manual Gearbox Alive For As Long As There's Demand.

Quote:
Some people enjoy going back to their roots and changing gear manually, and so long as there is a demand, we will continue to offer them.
Link
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks