Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2019, 12:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes-AMG cars to get quieter

According to a media report, future Mercedes-AMG cars will be significantly quieter than the outgoing cars due to changes in noise regulations in the European Union.

Mercedes-AMG cars to get quieter-dsc_2219.jpg

The first AMG cars to be affected are said to be the A 45 and the CLA 45. It is reported that the new regulations measure sound in the loudest exhaust settings, which means it is impossible to make the exhaust loud in certain driving conditions. Although the regulations pertain to European cars, it is reported that a separate exhaust system for other markets may be too expensive to build. AMG cars for all markets are expected to be affected by this regulation.

It is also reported that the new AMG cars will use a sound enhancement system inside the cabin that plays exhaust sounds synced with the car’s actual exhaust system.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source: motoring

Last edited by ChiragM : 31st July 2019 at 12:06.
ChiragM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 12:43   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes-AMG cars to get quieter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
due to changes in noise regulations in the European Union.
Call it Artificial Intelligence or Natural Stupidity, I do not understand what regulatory bodies intend to do.
On one hand they want the IC engine cars to be as silent as possible. On the other hand when the electric cars are silent, the regulation says they must make noise to alert the general public. EV passenger cars cannot be sold in EU anymore if they do not make an alerting sound (Thread can be found on tbhp forum).
Audi eTron in fact plays 2 different humming sound, one for forward drive and other in reverse
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 16:55   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
Call it Artificial Intelligence or Natural Stupidity, I do not understand what regulatory bodies intend to do.
On one hand they want the IC engine cars to be as silent as possible. On the other hand when the electric cars are silent, the regulation says they must make noise to alert the general public. EV passenger cars cannot be sold in EU anymore if they do not make an alerting sound (Thread can be found on tbhp forum).
Audi eTron in fact plays 2 different humming sound, one for forward drive and other in reverse
Please note that it is only AMG, and not regular Mercedes-Benz cars that this statement is for, so it's not true that they want all IC engine cars to be as silent as possible. It is true that they want to cap the limits on noise pollution by vehicles however. And yes, I am fully aware that it is blasphemy to label the sound of a beautifully tuned engine as noise pollution on this forum - there is no better music than that to my own ears! But, governments don't consist of automotive enthusiasts unfortunately.

I am not for this move, as I personally enjoy the sounds of the super/sports cars and bikes that go by my house every day, but there's no denying that some of them are quite loud, and a lot people don't like that.
Electric cars on the other hand are so silent, that they can take you entirely by surprise, even on quiet streets here in Europe (personal experience), so it's a good idea that they make some kind of noise.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2019, 22:18   #4
Senior - BHPian

Probably something like a switch to control the sound would have been a good compromise? You could trigger it on the highways and turn it off in the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB_007 View Post
On one hand they want the IC engine cars to be as silent as possible. On the other hand when the electric cars are silent, the regulation says they must make noise to alert the general public.
Noise causes increase in stress levels. More studies on that=more regulation. For EVs, blind people and cyclists rely on sound to sense their surroundings. (Blind people more than cyclists)
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 15:39   #5
BHPian

Not only AMGs, even the new /facelifted R8 V10 performance. sounds muted.Heck it's filtered down to the M135i.Below is a comparison between the old A45 AMG Vs the A45S AMG

Comparo of the M140i and the M135i

R8 V10 performance

The R8 sounds as if someone has restricted it to sing.
Old 1st August 2019, 16:41   #6
Team-BHP Support

Damn, these over-moderation of rules is making the world a sterile place!
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks