Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2019, 12:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Germany: Mercedes could face Euro 1B fine over emissions

According to a media report, Mercedes-Benz could face a fine of between 800 million Euros and 1 billion Euros due to violations related to diesel emissions.

Germany: Mercedes could face Euro 1B fine over emissions-18c0130_03.jpg

It is reported that the diesel variants of the Mercedes C-Class and the E-Class were fitted with a software that would reduce NO2 and CO2 emissions under certain controlled conditions such as a rolling road. The company has reportedly been asked to recall up to 2,80,000 vehicles. A fine of 5,000 Euros per vehicle is being considered.

The report suggests that in June 2019, Mercedes recalled 60,000 GLK diesel cars, bringing the total number of recalled Mercedes cars due to software irregularities to 7,60,000.

The carmaker is under investigation in the US as well due to high emission levels in its diesel cars.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source: Autocar

Last edited by ChiragM : 13th August 2019 at 12:45.
ChiragM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Germany: Mercedes could face Euro 1B fine over emissions

Swear by god !

If its so very difficult for almost every car maker to comply to emission norms for diesel mills, why in this world they have not made a hue & cry when the norms were getting enforced.

How come all industry leaders / office bearers were thinking alike and decided to have cheat devises to control emissions ! If Euro VI is beyond diesel, let there be a global representation by manufacturers to get a resolution. Penalty cannot result in compliance when the emissions cannot be brought down beyond certain limits.
i74js is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

If they cant meet diesel emissions, they should make petrol, hybrid or anything else that can meet them. Consumers will then decide what to buy. There is a grave situation regarding climate for which decisions need to be made NOW.

You cant cheat just because you cant meet the regulations. Its also cheating the customers who thing they are doing their bit in driving better vehicles by paying more.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

The question is, are they in profit even after paying the fines? I mean what if these manufacturers are already considering the fines under their cost of doing business? May be they have considered and found that diesel cars are profitable even after paying the fines. If that is the case,then from a purely business standpoint, there is no point in stopping the diesel engine business. Of course if you consider the environment, this does not hold up. I can not explain so many manufactures resorting to this in any other way.

Lets consider another case. Lets say one manufacturer decides he is not going to cheat and will simply stop making diesel engines and let the customers decide. I am pretty sure, the outcome would be lose of business for that particular manufacturer. As long as atleast one of your competitor is making diesel engines, or even cheating, it makes sense to follow the suit and get whathever possible profits. So pulling out of the diesel game is not an option for most of these guys even if they are not able to comply.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 13th August 2019 at 13:48.
padmrajravi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 13:45   #5
BHPian

I don't understand. If their software is capable of reducing emissions during certain conditions, why can't it do so at all times?
zhopudey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 14:15   #6
BHPian

Looks like there is a big Cartel out there involving OPEC, Manufacturers, Office bearers ! There is no other explanation for all the big names in the Auto industry to smear their name with this scandal.
Also, I definitely think they already have a back up plan for situations like this.
Worst guess, they would have billed the fines as part of the vehicle cost !
Sk8r is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 14:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
I don't understand. If their software is capable of reducing emissions during certain conditions, why can't it do so at all times?
I am sure in controlled environment with cheat software the diesel motor will not offer advertised bhp & torque figures, which is the USP for any manufacturer.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 14:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhopudey View Post
It does reduce the emission by manipulating the power output whenever it recognizes that the car is being Tested for emissions; thereby reducing the performance of the car by a considerable amount
Sk8r is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 15:30   #9
BHPian

If this has happened in germany, they are probably going to get away with it. Volkswagen was caught in US. No way zee germans are going to let this be a media trial and let one of their most sacred brands getting soiled.

Cheat software: still a bit confused about how this works. So when a car is tested for emissions , there is a option in the control panel ( that which controls all aspects like drive mode , AC etc) named "emission test" and when this is selected the ECU just simulates a lower bhp?.

All i know is that we blow smoke into a tube here

--------------------
EDIT : I just read the other replies.

How does the software recognize that the car is being tested?.

Last edited by srini1785 : 13th August 2019 at 15:38.
Old 13th August 2019, 16:08   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post

Apparently emission testers use a pattern of accelerator and brake inputs. The ECU is trained based on past data captured on emission test driver/operator behaviour to detect an emission test. Current gen ECUs are anyway sophisticated enough to learn the driver behaviour and adjust accordingly for specific driving patterns to derive optimum performance. For such ECU's it is not a big deal to detect a specific driving pattern.
padmrajravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 16:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srini1785 View Post
If this has happened in germany, they are probably going to get away with it. Volkswagen was caught in US. No way zee germans are going to let this be a media trial and let one of their most sacred brands getting soiled.

Cheat software: still a bit confused about how this works. So when a car is tested for emissions , there is a option in the control panel ( that which controls all aspects like drive mode , AC etc) named "emission test" and when this is selected the ECU just simulates a lower bhp?.

All i know is that we blow smoke into a tube here

--------------------
EDIT : I just read the other replies.

As mentioned above, the speed, distance (to mimic different real world conditions of start/stop) and wheel position are used.

There were about 10 different profiles used which all map to activating the cheat code.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 08:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
The question is, are they in profit even after paying the fines? I mean what if these manufacturers are already considering the fines under their cost of doing business? May be they have considered and found that diesel cars are profitable even after paying the fines.
Nice point.!
If so is the case, then mere penalty will not be solving the issue.
Banning the vehicles should be the solution as our first priority should be the protection of environment.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks