Team-BHP - TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/214066-toi-news-article-president-xis-limo-clocks-0-100-kmph-1-9-seconds-top-speed-400-kmph.html)

President Xi on his visit to Chennai yesterday bought his own high security car built by Hongqi.

This high security car can do 0-100 in 1.9 seconds and achieve a top speed of 400 kmph and that's with all the weight of the steel armour plates and more.

Where are you Bugatti? Take a leaf out of this for your next car at least..

Read more on this car here

In comparison Trump's Beast with all its weight can only do 0-100 in 15 seconds which reportedly is also close to it's top speed.

So if you had to choose between a Hongqi and a Chiron what would it be?

Hilarious, perhaps TOI can sponsor this car in the LeMans series.

Jokes apart, we lag very far behind. Our closest to this is a bulletproof Scorpio or Safari.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMG Power (Post 4673789)
President Xi on his visit to Chennai yesterday bought his own high security car built by Hongqi.

This high security car can do 0-100 in 1.9 seconds and achieve a top speed of 400 kmph and that's with all the weight of the steel armour plates and more.

In comparison Trump's Beast with all its weight can only do 0-100 in 15 seconds which reportedly is also close to it's top speed.

I read these numbers in the ‘news’ today morning, and let’s just say they should be taken with more than a pinch of salt. We are talking about a full sized fully armoured presidential limousine here. For a vehicle like that which carries hundreds if not thousands of kgs of armour, a sub 2sec 100kmph and 400kmph top speed is impossible. I refuse to believe it.

The actual acceleration times of such vehicles must be a closely guarded state secret. They are never designed for speed in the first place. Nonetheless, the 15sec sprint of the Beast is much more reasonable, and this Hongqi should be similar. Ferrari beating performance is a ludicrous claim.

Quote:

Read more on this car here

I think it's another case of our media exaggerating things.

From what I can find online I can see that it's named the Honggi N501.Interestingly, a Chinese site claims it's based on the Audi A6 platform.
Chinese site:
https://carnewschina.com/2018/05/04/...is-it-exactly/

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-him-to-africa

Adding a few photos of the car. Please note, the last image (taken from The Hindu) mentions the 0-100 time to be 8 seconds. That definitely sounds more believable.

TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?-images.jpeg

TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?-images-1.jpeg

TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?-images-2.jpeg

TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?-images-3.jpeg

Photos from Google Images and The Hindu.

Quote:

Sounds like a figment of some journalist's fertile imagination, or a typo.

I think this is more of a marketing material being fed in the garb of news. 400 HP V8 pulling this 18 feet long armored car with weight in excess of 3000 kg in 1.9 seconds to 100 looks really doubtful. Plus the claim of 400 kmph as the top speed seem significantly overstated.

This car is specifically made for head of the state and he is for sure not going to travel at 400 kmph. The car maker would have focused more of safety than speed. Alternate reports from multiple websites suggest that this car achieves 0-100 in about 8.2 seconds.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/55455598.cms

This is more believable and achievable. :)

I think, with the trade war going on, Chinese president is trying to promote the local brands and this is part of the same exercise.

Quote:

Tesla Roadster development team should resign ASAP.

I remember once how a leading Tamil newspaper reported superbike owners speeding in excess of 400km/hr on Chennai's ECR! Ironically president's car went through the same route.

What secret does our ECR hold?:uncontrol

It is a handsome looking car for a Chinese car.

I see a lots or resemblance with 2nd Gen Flying Spur Silhouette from the side profile.

1.9 sec is the time it takes to move that vehicle from 0. Somehow I'm not surprised that it came from TOI. To think that it was shipped all the way from China for a 200km run.....

Mystery solved. I have figured out how TOI journo arrived at these numbers. Journo went to Google.com and typed in "Hongqi top speed". The top search result is this:

TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?-hongqi.jpg

Genius patted himself on the back "OK, research done". He then quickly typed out the article without even clicking on the link or reading Google preview.
http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/201..._138461400.htm

Only when you click on the above link, you find out that the Xinhua article is talking about Hongqi S9 concept supercar, not the presidential limo.

TOI news article: President Xi's limo clocks 0-100 kmph in 1.9 seconds with a top speed of 400 kmph?-s9.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartCat (Post 4673831)
Genius patted himself on the back "OK, research done". He then quickly typed out the article without even clicking on the link or reading Google preview.

Hahaha. Good spot. The search highlight content itself reads S9, & 115! Imaginative journalism at best.

The Beast weighs at about 8 tonnes. So let us assume that Xi's limo also weighs the same. A 2016 F1 car had a power to weight ratio of more than 1400 bhp per tonne so it should theoretically do the 0-100 run in under 1 second but because of limitations of traction it does the same in around 2.5 seconds.

Now for that armored limo to do 0-100 kmph in less than 2 seconds, it has to have a power to weight ratio of more than 1400 bhp per tonne. Which means it has to produce a power output of around 7000 bhp which is just ridiculous. And this figure is just to achieve that claimed 0-100 time. Let's not get into the power required to haul that behemoth to a top speed of 400 kmph.

But hey why am I wasting my time doing these calculations? TOI journo wouldn't do that because if he had that much brain, he would be working in the automobile industry. And maybe designing the new armored limo for our beloved PM.:D

It was concidentally on the "The Grand Tour" China episode this year that they had made some observations on the Hongqi! Like 3.2 tons without the Armour plating, steering adjuster doesn't work, no cup holders and that the company doesn't specify a 0-60 time!!

By the way, I am failing to remember, what does Hongqi rhyme with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartCat (Post 4673831)
the Xinhua article is talking about Hongqi S9 concept supercar

There's no way that even this supercar would do 0-100 in 1.9 seconds. If it did it would have made headlines a long time ago. The performance figures like the car are Made in China. :)