Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th November 2019, 16:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

GM Design boss: 26-inch wheels could become standard

According to a media report, General Motors design boss Michael Simcoe has said that large 26-inch wheels could soon become standard.

GM Design boss: 26-inch wheels could become standard-urus-wheels.jpg

As cars become bigger and bigger, the design boss says that cars could soon come with 24-inch and 26-inch wheels as standard. At present, the Cadillac Escalade and the Audi A7 come with 22-inch wheels, while the Lamborghini Urus comes with 23-inch wheels as an option.

However, increasing the tyre size could compromise ride quality as the wheels will have low-profile tyres. The car's braking system may also have to be redesigned as small brakes will not look good with large wheels. Mainstream carmakers could also start offering painted brake calipers. The report also suggests that for electric cars, the range could decrease as wheel size increases.

Link to Team-BHP News

Source
ChiragM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 17:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: GM Design boss: 26-inch wheels could become standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiragM View Post
According to a media report, General Motors design boss Michael Simcoe has said that large 26-inch wheels could soon become standard.
I think with the increase in wheel size the following things will also change

1. Rolling resistance will increase resulting in proportionate drop in fuel economy.

2. The disc size will need to be made bigger along with calipers.

3. What about the size of spare wheel? Even the space saver for a 26 incher will have to be as big as current tyres that most SUV's come fitted with.

4. What about the cost of replacement? Even the 19 inchers of my Hexa cost a bomb to replace.

5. If god forbid that you get a puncture then you will need arms the size of Arnie to change the tyres.

And as the days of big and bulky SUVs are numbered, I dont think we will see the day when mainstream cars are shod with 20 plus inch tyres let alone 26 inchers.
ram87pune is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 22:29   #3
Team-BHP Support

What about road quality? I'd bet there aren't many passenger-car carrying roads in the world that won't damage these monster wheels running paper-thin-profile tires at the smallest bump taken at decent speeds.

There's only so much you can bend physics before it bends your rims.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2019, 14:08   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Crazy trend. There are places in the USA too which have poor roads (e.g. Boston).

Not a fan of big wheels & low profile tyres at all, especially for India. Other than looks, there is no advantage to them. It's too high a price to pay for aesthetics. Stiff ride, more unsprung weight (rims), tyres & wheels becoming more prone to damage and stiff tyre replacement costs.

One industry trend I don't agree with! As stupid as that other trend of sticking screens onto dashboards like an after-market fitment.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks