Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 21:17   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: End of an icon : Holden to retire the Commodore

Alas the SUV slowly killed it off progressively as Holden merely rebadged Opels into Holdens. Renaming the Insignia as Commodore was the final nail in the coffin. Now with Peugeot taking over Opel, PSA have no interest in a low volume market so there is very little future for a supply of rebadged Opel cars. Perhaps SAIC might offer a Hector or two for rebadging!

Last edited by ajmat : 16th December 2019 at 21:21.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 14:19   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

One of the remaining specimens in India - Been parked for a couple of weeks now, not sure of the status.

End of an icon : Holden to retire the Commodore-fullsizerender1.jpg

End of an icon : Holden to retire the Commodore-fullsizerender2.jpg
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2020, 17:29   #18
BHPian

GM Holden did themselves a big disservice by calling the imported Opel a Commodore.
Holden Commodore & Ford Falcon were iconic Aussie cars, full-size rear wheel drive cars with massive engines with diehard fans and families (generations) loyal to one or the other. The V8 Supercar racing reinforced the rivalry.

Ford did the right thing and retired the Falcon badge. Holden was plain stupid to bring in a import - that too a midsize front wheel drive and call it a Commodore. That was adding insult to injury and even the most diehard Commodore fans laugh at the new "Commodore".

It was like Royal Enfield stopping manufacture of the Bullet and then importing a 200cc lightweight bike form China and branding it as Bullet. Yes, adding insult to injury for the millions of Bullet fans!

I have had a series of Falcons & Commodores (as company cars & personal cars) as I have had long commutes and do 40-50,000 kms / year - these solid workhorses get me 200-250,000 kms over 4-5 years before I buy the next one. I currently have a red 2016 Commodore SV6 (looks like the middle car in the very first photo (though that is a V8 SS) that has already clocked 150,000 without any issues. But, in a year or two, when I have to replace it, I have nothing to replace it with! By size & power comparison, only options are BMW 530d or Merc E350d, but they cost three times as much in Australia!

Yes, for someone who loves big, powerful cars that can munch kilometres effortlessly in a big country, that handle superbly and can be driven safely in a spirited manner, there are hardly any options left.

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 5th February 2020 at 17:36.
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks