Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2020, 17:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time

According to a media report, in the US market, pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the first time in April 2020. More than 186,400 pickups were retailed last month against 169,200 cars.

Until 5 years back, passenger cars outsold pickups by 500,000 units in some months. The report claims that schemes like 0% interest and 7-year loan terms also helped in increasing sales of pickup trucks.

Full-size pickups accounted for over 40% of total sales of carmakers like General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and Ford in the month of April.

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-fordchevroletfcapickupsausdenusa1200x800bae12e1bdc3b89ca.jpg

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-screenshot-20200508-3.25.48-pm.png

Source

Link to the Team-BHP news

Last edited by blackwasp : 8th May 2020 at 17:23.
blackwasp is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 8th May 2020, 17:50   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time

It is an interesting trend. You got to love the Americans and their pickups. I never saw the attraction, because when all is said and done, they are not particularly practical vehicle, unless you are a builder or a farmer. You can’t put the weekly shopping in the back either. It will all fall over!

When we lived in Kansas City we did love our truck though, our 1998 Jeep Cherokee. The real one, designed on an “Edge-a-Skedge. Never quite understood when a car qualifies to be called and registered as a truck?

America is probably one of the few cultures in the world where well to do people go to extraordinary lengths to look like blue collar working folks in their free time. (no offence to these folks)

They will be wearing jeans, boots, T-shirts with the sleeves cut off, baseball cap and drive a pick up. Makes you look like Bruce Springsteen. Shows you have got it made!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 9th May 2020, 23:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
America is probably one of the few cultures in the world where well to do people go to extraordinary lengths to look like blue collar working folks in their free time. (no offence to these folks)

They will be wearing jeans, boots, T-shirts with the sleeves cut off, baseball cap and drive a pick up. Makes you look like Bruce Springsteen. Shows you have got it made!

Jeroen
Tell me about that. At the end of the day, American loves everything big. Specially currently, when gas prices are dirt cheap, I am not surprised that Trucks have outsold sedans.

My uncle also bought Top of the line Ford F150 - Limited Edition that costs about 80 grand and has become his daily ride. Btw, his garage includes S class, Rover and Rolls.
Nitrous Power is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 08:37   #4
BHPian

While growing up in the North West of America , I noticed that pickup trucks are more famous among the people living in small towns . I can tell you that in every 5 people you meet over there , one would have owned a pickup once in there life. I mean , the son of my pre-school teacher used to drive a Ram 3500(I always used to travel in that during field trips).My best friend's father used to drive a Silverado. Some people over there still call SUVs trucks.

The reason is the state of rural America, which is not like your typical american city. It is different.You have to see it yourself to understand.In the case of pickup trucks you either love them or you hate them.

Last edited by Eshan Joshi : 10th May 2020 at 09:00.
Eshan Joshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 08:44   #5

I hope a day like this comes in India also soon. I meant with proper pickups with 4x4 transfer cases rather than Indians obsession with Cars looking like SUVs

Last edited by GTO : 11th May 2020 at 12:32. Reason: typo
sumodhkrishna is offline   (2) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th May 2020, 13:10   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

I'm a huge fan of these myself. Drove one with wife and son 1500 miles from Los Angeles to Grand Canyon and back through Vegas and took some more diversions along the route delving into those desolate small towns of USA. It was an Enterprise-rented Ford F150, brand new with just 7,000 miles on the clock. Huuuge car with old Premier Padmini-like column-shift AT lever. Pity these don't sell much in India. Our Tata Xenon and even Isuzu can't hold candle to the ones we see on US roads. Some higher variants have truck-like double rear wheels on either side.

I always wonder why our rich folks don't look past the same old traditional European brands and try out these pick-up trucks, like Dodge Ram, GMC, F150 etc., for a change. They can afford to import one on full duty payment. We love big cars and nothing can measure up in size and stance to these behemoths. Unlike supercars, you don't have to worry at all about potholes and bumps. And, you sit mile high, towering over everything else on road. Isn't that what our fatcats like?
pgsagar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th May 2020, 15:38   #7
BHPian

"Emerging Trend: Tiny EVs for Europe and giant electric pickups for the US"

And we have this - Things we tell ourselves to support our choices!

Name:  Picture1.png
Views: 4357
Size:  256.8 KB
Miyata is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 12:36   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Pickup trucks have a certain charm & are packed with style, there is no doubt. I've enjoyed the "feel" of each pickup I've driven, including the Indian Isuzus. For Americans, it sure helps that today's pickup trucks have improved comfort, better mileage, small turbo engines and lots of luxury amenities. Just like SUVs have improved for daily-usage, so have pickup trucks.

What's more, the segment is literally dominated by Ford + GM + Chrysler. The profits are thick, and there is really no solid Japanese or European competition.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 13:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

I think with more house ownerships, there are myriad chores where you need a pickup truck. That certainly is the case with many of my colleagues in US. With easier DIY that can be done, a truck is uselful. More single people also own trucks.

We get help here with goods autos etc for similar chores. We dont mind using 2 wheelers and autos to overload.

Also, most of other times are spent driving alone. Add to this the feeling of high seating, interiors as good as any SUV, they dont have any disadvantage. Since most are domestic manufacturers, the interest rates are also very low.

Last edited by srishiva : 11th May 2020 at 13:34.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 11:57   #10
BHPian

Not surprised though. Americans have vast barren land, wide roads, huge people (no offence) because the average height of a American individual is 5’9” to 6’0”. The parking
And Americans tow more than any other country.
But when it comes to India or Europe, we have limited land. Narrow roads, shorter people, overpopulation, hence Picktrucks are oversized for our country.
Old 12th May 2020, 16:23   #11
BHPian

As an Isuzu owner, I can attest to the fact that the fun in owning a truck is quite unparalleled.

It's a vehicle that will bring a smile everytime you look at it. After almost two years of owning one, I still smile when I see it. It's a toy!

With a little bit of tasty aftermarket mods, it can easily keep up with most SUVs in the price range when it comes to comfort. On the highways, it literally feels like you're in a vault. You feel safe.

And when it comes to utility, it beats them all. Incredible amounts of storage in the back. Ridiculously capable off-road and on-road with the right suspension. Oodles of power when you need it. And boy, is it fun!

You don't need a farm or have to carry loads etc to need a truck. Nobody *needs* a truck. You want one!
  • When you own a truck, every trip is special. Even sitting on ORR waiting behind traffic.
  • When you own a truck, nobody asks you "Kitna deti hai?"
  • When you own a truck, malls let you into secret parking areas reserved for huge vehicles.

When you own a truck, you can look dirty on the outside, but like this on the inside:

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-20190930_175556.jpg

• When you own a truck, you don't have to honk.
  • When you own a truck you don't have to decide what to take. You can take everything! Do I take the cycle or the kart for my son? Wait, I can take both.

This is the smile of a boy, who has all his toys riding with him in the back:

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-img_20190712_161456_075.jpg

• Honey, can I bring two bags? Honey, you can bring all your bags.
  • When you own a truck, your in-laws won't be scared to throw in a few sacks of fresh veggies in the back to take back home.
  • When you own a truck, you can park where nobody else wants to or can
  • When you own a truck, you can buy a tent, throw it in the back and dream about adventure, even when sitting in traffic on the way to office.

When you own a truck, you hang out with mates like this:

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-20190915_17515201.jpeg

• When you own a truck, bad roads, off-road, no-roads, nothing matters.
  • When you own a truck, you can help people who're stuck.
  • When you own a truck, you try to get stuck, fail, laugh, repeat!
  • When you own a truck, you know you can go a lot further than regular vehicles can in times of a calamity (I experienced this)

When you own a truck, this is what you see:

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-screenshot-20200512-4.07.09-pm.jpg

This is what the guy in front of you sees:

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-screenshot-20200512-4.06.54-pm.jpg

And this is what everybody else sees:

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-screenshot-20200512-4.07.22-pm.jpg

It makes traffic fun for everyone! It's public service!

A lot of people blame the narrow roads etc. for poor sales. I'm yet to encounter a road where it hasn't fit yet. I daily drive it whenever possible and love the feeling. Best thing is the sheer presence. People don't cut into your lane, they maintain distance etc. I do have trouble with underground parking in some malls, but that is only because my vehicle is over 7 feet tall due to the lifted suspension and roof rack. The stock vehicle has none of these issues.

The only con however, is that you will be everybody's favorite airport run. However in bangalore, that's fine cause nobody in their right mind will ask you for that favour! Bro, can you drop me 85km away? Said nobody ever.

The only reason why trucks haven't caught on is because of our attitude towards it. "Dil mein jagah honi chahiye baaki apne aap ban jate hai."

Do the right thing! Buy a truck.

Last edited by Tassem : 12th May 2020 at 16:36. Reason: Formatting
Tassem is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 17:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Can't help wondering, if Musk knew this in 2016 or he just wanted to expand the portfolio or did the pickup truck market expand because of his venture into this segment. I'm unable to predict - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...-unveiled.html (Tesla pick-up truck plans confirmed EDIT: 'Cybertruck' unveiled!)
Old 13th May 2020, 02:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

What's more, the segment is literally dominated by Ford + GM + Chrysler. The profits are thick, and there is really no solid Japanese or European competition.
Highest sold mid size truck in US for 2019 is a Toyota – Tacoma (I guess for last few years) and one of the fastest growing model in terms of year-by-year sales is a Honda – Honda Ridgeline (Even though Honda Ridgeline is a Monocoque Pickup truck without a low range based on Honda Pilot).

Half ton and above, it’s American Brands.
Old 13th May 2020, 10:02   #14
BHPian

I'm not surprised with the success of American pickups - they have a great choice of beasts to choose from!

I always hoped that pickups would strike a chord with Indian masses. There was a glimmer of hope when the 206 was launched here. And later, the Mahindra pickups. Unfortunately, all of them are utilitarian and not lifestyle choices.

The Isuzu pickups like the one shared by Tassem are scene-stealers whenever they appear on our road. People don't just give way but also spare 2 to 3 seconds to admire their beauty and presence.

My love for American pickups is on another tangent. I'm not sure if they can be classified as pickups but I've a special liking for cars such as Chevrolet El Camino and Ford Ranchero. If I was still in the US, I would probably have searched the length of the country and opted for either of them.

Ranchero (top) and El Camino (bottom):
Attached Thumbnails
USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-4895e76278a5ecf3a8a3b0c0bab7bfc0.jpg  

USA: Pickup trucks outsold passenger cars for the 1st time-64665_000lh205_qhx9dqw_800600.jpg  

JojyKerala is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2020, 10:27   #15
BHPian

In the last 4-5 years, American pickup truck manufacturers have basically loaded their trucks with the most premium features in every aspect be it safety, drive trains, infotainment and what not, plus the customer gets the king of the road feeling and the utility which is unmatched by any other vehicle type.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks