Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2007, 20:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumoured 500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010

There is a possibility that Infiniti will produce an all-wheel drive, twin-turbocharged version of the G37 in 2010 that will produce 500 horsepower. Such a car sounds a lot like the Nissan GT-R, the first production Skyline ever to be sold in the U.S. Even though this news come from a forum post written by a guy who talked to some dealer, and its validity can in no way be confirmed at this time, we have to admit that it makes sense to us.

We're well aware that Infiniti dealers were not happy when one Carlos Ghosn announced the GT-R would be badged a Nissan, so an ultra high-performance version of the G37 is one relatively easy way to appease those dealers. We also presume that the G37 Coupe and GT-R will share a good deal of hardware, which makes us wonder if the GT-R's powerplant will turn out to be a twin-turbo version of the G37's 3.7L VQ V6, rather than the 3.5L version. That would certainly explain the blistering lap times a prototype was turning at Laguna Seca last month.

Source:
Enter the rumormill: 500HP Infiniti G37 twin-turbo on tap for 2010 - Autoblog
Old 15th March 2007, 23:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

i saw the news yesterday and i cant wait to see how it spans out and see what will it be worth..
Old 16th March 2007, 10:20   #3
BHPian

wonder why they are releasing this which is most likely be re bagged r35 which might be street legal in the us so why are they launching this they are dampening there own sales of the skyline.
Old 18th March 2007, 23:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
wonder why they are releasing this which is most likely be re bagged r35 which might be street legal in the us so why are they launching this they are dampening there own sales of the skyline.
I think you are not following how the Skyline GTRs are going to be named now.

Before:

There was a Skyline(G35) 4Dr and 2Dr and then a GTR version called the Skyline GTR

but

Now:

There is a Skyline 4Dr, 2Dr which would be the G35/37 and a GTR not Skyline GTR, there will no longer be a Skyline GTR so the G37 might share a motor(which is also not likely) but thats about it, they will be different cars with similar platform thats all.. so not really a rebadge.
Old 19th March 2007, 00:26   #5
BHPian

the basic reason why the infinity name was introduced was to try to compete with japanese honda and toyota luxury names acura and lexus respectively.
but when the newer generation of nissan's were launched they were generally associated with street racing thats were nissan bit the dust.

that was when infinity decided to sell the engines of the nissan cars which were highly appreciated with a bit of luxury touch which changed the line up of infinity from the q 45 and the qx4 to the g series which were nothing merely but nissan with a european touch to give competition not to japanese luxury but to the luxury heavy weights bmw and mercedes benz.

what i meant to say is see the similarities between r35 and g37 both launch around the same time maybe a year's difference both pack 500 horses.

the reason why i feel in my opinion is that it might not have lot of buyers the main reason being is again the skyline is family associated with street racing and may be the flagship car of jap street racing cars.

so wouldn't find much buyers but what if they redefined the shape and better interiors this would again be a blow to euro cars like the m series in powerful 4 door coupe where as the r35 are basically to take out porsche series like the 997 turbo.

the skyline's are amazing cars the main reason why i dont like them is because of the over hyped f&f series.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks