Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2007, 21:39   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP View Post
But i am not sure that M5 can accomodate 20 inches.....
must have done some body work on it......
Stock wheel size is 19" so accomodating 20" is no problem.
Old 26th March 2007, 21:41   #17
BHPian

don't like the rims or the seat's poor crocodile like animals after cars that is snakes and crocs. compression 12.0:1 why so much for a tced car
Old 27th March 2007, 07:18   #18
BHPian

The brake rotors are bigger than standard rim sizes in India. WOW
Old 30th March 2007, 00:54   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6
The place where the turbo is installed in quite unique... its near the tail pipe.. Someone care to share some light on this..
That actually IS quite unique. I'm seeing such a design for the first time as well..

Although technically it doesn't make much sense, since the turbo's impellers have to be, ideally, placed as close to the manifold as possile to utilise maximum exhaust gas velocity.

The type of design shown in the pics actually make inefficient flow patterns...and the 800 horses mean an increase in output of over 60%...which is quite above the normal turbo efficiency stats, especially considering the compression....

I'm quite curious...

P.S- The interiors aren't upto my tastes as well...
Old 30th March 2007, 00:57   #20
Senior - BHPian

This turbo setup is a puzzle. I got a few mail forwards with it too. And can you IMAGINE the sort of intake manifold you have to make for 10 throttle bodies?!

Waiting for Psycho and Sideways to share their views on this setup.
Old 30th March 2007, 01:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

LOLzzzzzzzzz... If you see closely you will see that the TC is attached to a few appendages jetting out like clamps out of the chassis, 4 screws and voila TC mounting complete!!!!!

I dont think this is the first car that I have seen with the TC in the rear end... I dont quite know the advantages of doing so however I hope atleast the engineers at BMW do.

p.s: I was told by my tuner that the sting of turbo boost kick in is extremely linear/progressive if the turbines are kept far away...and a couple of other things which I dont remember offhand...Will get it from my tuner tomorrow and update it here.
Old 30th March 2007, 01:40   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
p.s: I was told by my tuner that the sting of turbo boost kick in is extremely linear/progressive if the turbines are kept far away...and a couple of other things which I dont remember offhand...Will get it from my tuner tomorrow and update it here.
That's because boost will be lower and the pressure waves will disperse to some extent. This can be done with regular installs too. Keshav's car has this.
Old 30th March 2007, 03:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVO6 View Post
I checked the site... The place where the turbo is installed in quite unique... its near the tail pipe.. Someone care to share some light on this..
Useless system. Causes tremendous lag and loss of thermal energy by the time gases travel from exhaust to turbo.

V1per, they probably junked the ITBs and built a manifold to hold the boost pressures.
Old 31st March 2007, 23:57   #24
BHPian

Full discussion here:

Twin Turbo M5 [Currency Motors] - The Unofficial BMW M5 Messageboard (m5board.com)
Old 1st April 2007, 14:16   #25
Senior - BHPian

Interesting. The whole idea of such a setup is to cut expenses and leave the manifolds alone...and yet they're asking for 350 G's?? Err...do Americans have "suckers" written on their foreheads?

Although the TT setup is unique, it is still inefficient. Maybe for low-boost applications (midrange) on high CC blocks. Else, useless.
Old 4th January 2008, 14:11   #26
Senior - BHPian

They now have a Super charged M5!! from G-Power.
Revealed: 730bhp G-Power M5Â*-Â*Car News | MSN Cars UK
Old 4th January 2008, 20:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Ok, I have a few questions I'm hoping some more knowledgeable people could please clarify

1. Remote placing of the turbocharger:
- Wont there be reduced exhaust gas velocity, because of the larger distance they have to traverse before entering the turbo, and reduced intake pressure due to, again, longer distance to intake manifold? Are they really as efficient as under-hood turbos?
- How durable will this system be anyway? Wont it be a little fragile on bumpy roads?

2. Compression ratio: How are they still using such a high CR even after turbocharging?

Anyway, Looks like this car never really lived up to its huge claims.
Old 3rd March 2008, 07:35   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawan View Post
don't like the rims or the seat's poor crocodile like animals after cars that is snakes and crocs. compression 12.0:1 why so much for a tced car

you snatched that right out my mouth, since this car is a symbol of luxury just wonder if the reptile HIDE is that expensive?

Most Viewed