Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2007, 14:29   #16
BHPian

Hey pawan thank you dude for sharing that information, i have always been a fan of the mustangs and even the camaro. great pics the car looks cooooooooooool. wonder how the it would be sounding when revving
Old 2nd April 2007, 15:46   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SohailPistawala View Post
Hey pawan thank you dude for sharing that information, i have always been a fan of the mustangs and even the camaro. great pics the car looks cooooooooooool. wonder how the it would be sounding when revving
same here th camaro's older ones and the shelby stangs are some of my favorite cars.
Old 2nd April 2007, 17:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
ananthkamath, are you serious dude? i cant imagine i am hearing stuff like this from someone who lives in the automobile capital of the world, oh well, your comments make no sense and then making that silliest ever comment about hp/lt and throwing honda in this mix just makes me laugh. <i want to type more, but i just cant stop smiling while i nod my head> plz do some hw and stop using the dumbest non functional excuse of hp/lt..thats just plain knowledgeable...........................NAAT!!

Just cause i live in detroit doesnt mean i have to blindly like the corvette or anything else that the American auto industry produces.

Half the stuff YOU are saying doesnt make sense actually. hp/lt is a NON-functional excuse? How else do you gauge how good an engine is? Please enlighten me.

Honda may make you laugh cause you see most desis in a Honda Civic or Accord, but the fact is that they make the best engines in God's wide world.

Laugh all you want. Smile all you want. Facts are facts.
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:23   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
This is a joke. They got 100 hp/liter from a supercharged engine? Honda got much more than that from normally a aspirated 4-cylinder. Plus it wont even break down at 100,000 miles.
The key difference here is driveablility. Honda has to rev their engines to 8000 rpm to get that kind of power where as the supercharged engine or a big displacement engine will have a lot of poke from low down. Although I also personally prefer high revving engines, it may not be everyone's cuppa tea.

GM already has a quad cam 32v V8 used in Caddys. They have almost taken it as a challenge (Chrysler too) to prove that the small block pushrod can hold up against the best in the world. Another advantage is that it makes it a very comact engine which = low hoodline. Another non related advantage is that it is very easy to do a cylinder de activation feature.

Last edited by Mpower : 2nd April 2007 at 21:29.
Old 2nd April 2007, 19:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just cause i live in detroit doesnt mean i have to blindly like the corvette or anything else that the American auto industry produces.

Half the stuff YOU are saying doesnt make sense actually. hp/lt is a NON-functional excuse? How else do you gauge how good an engine is? Please enlighten me.

Honda may make you laugh cause you see most desis in a Honda Civic or Accord, but the fact is that they make the best engines in God's wide world.

Laugh all you want. Smile all you want. Facts are facts.
I presume, Honda's engine is the one winning(dominating) races in their category, or its honda's engine that is as light as it is @ the rated HP, or there is a honda with 500+ hp which doesnt get a gas guzzler tax, or it must be a honda that does nearly 200mph in 1 mile stock or i am sure it must be a honda engine that gives the wide power band like the LS7, i am sure it must be the honda engine which doesnt need to be rebuild to make nearly that much power or it must be the engine which propels one of the stock cars to 11.2 127mph in 1/4m and do 7.42 on the ring..

i am sure..HONDA enigine are super great..(which i dont doubt they are for what they do)

see there is no basis of using hp/lt to crown an engine as "the best", if it is for you, go ahead and keep using it...and no one asked you to blindly follow a corvette, i guess you havent had a ride in one thats why you speak like that but for me, i pick the best in the segment, i test drove many cars before picking mine, which included porsche, so plz dont tell me i am blindly following or asking you to follow blindly, its lack of knowledge and "desi baised attitude towards anything jap/german" that reeks from your thoughts..i am not being personal at all, i am telling you what is fact..yesterday i had a LP640 as my desktop, before that a 2008 Nissan GTR, before that F430 before that M5, S8, TVR, a GT500, F599, Ford GT, SLR, Audi R8, 997Turbo, 997 GT3, Carrera GT, Enzo, upcoming camero, Lexus LF-A, Dodge Viper, DB9, Vanquish S, Phantom, Jag XK-R, F40, and now a 08' CL65, i appreciate cars for what they are and not who makes then..the obvious comment that its american it must be bad is quite lame and this whole thing about hp/lt comment that people come up with is saaadd...if you dont get it now, i guess you will get it when you drive the 2 cars..if you ever want to see what american muscle is all about sure go ahead and come down to chicago and i will take you for a ride and then come next may and i will take you for a ride in a high revving engine too as it might be my next ride, you know a 3.7l turbo charged putting out 500, just like you like...so dont tell me i pick blindly.

and to come back to the topic, i have always been a fan of mustangs myself and would definitely want to own a 67 GT500 or this bad @$$ machine but not as the only "go fast car"

Last edited by 1Day : 2nd April 2007 at 19:55.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:01   #21
Senior - BHPian

i personally have nothing against corvettes or mustangs or 1Day, but i do have something against the american auto industry. They have been building cars for 100 years now, & god-dammit they still don't know how to make a decent one.

Quote:
I presume, Honda's engine is the one winning(dominating) races in their category, or its honda's engine that is as light as it is @ the rated HP, or there is a honda with 500+ hp which doesnt get a gas guzzler tax, or it must be a honda that does nearly 200mph in 1 mile stock or i am sure it must be a honda engine that gives the wide power band like the LS7, i am sure it must be the honda engine which doesnt need to be rebuild to make nearly that much power or it must be the engine which propels one of the stock cars to 11.2 127mph in 1/4m and do 7.42 on the ring..
You're measuring engines as the only ingredient in a competitive race car? What about chassis, suspension & all the thousand other factors that contribute to winning races? Oh no, they dont matter at all, cause only HORSEPOWER does.

I only mentioned Honda as an example for contrast, but since you are bent on taking it head to head:

Who won ALL but one Grands prix in the 1988 F1 championship? It was a Honda powered car.

Who is the SOLE supplier of engines for the IRL (which by the way is an American series). Its Honda.

Who supplied engines that won six F1 constructors championships and five drivers championships between 1988 and 1992? Thats right, it was Honda.

Who debuted variable valve timing and lift in road engines? It definitely wasnt GM or Chrysler or Ford. It was Honda.

There is no road-going Honda with 500 hp but the closest I can think of is the NSX. Being knowledgable about all varieties of cars, you might be knowing that when the NSX debuted in 1990, it already had most of the things that are in your 2007 Corvette: All-aluminum chassis, All-aluminum suspension, and four wheel double wishbones (which even the civic has, by the way). The engine was a "small" 3.0 V6 that put out "only" 270 hp. How much did the 1990 corvette put out? A road-burning 250 hp from its small block V8 that displaced "only" 5.7 litres.

So I think its safe to say that when Honda debuts its V10 NSX in 2008, it will kick Corvette @ss from here to LA.

You wanna talk about Nurburgring times? The fastest production car to lap the Nurburgring is the Radical SR8 (6:55) which is, again, powered by a Japanese engine, a V8 based on the Suzuki Hayabusa. So you might be inclined to say "but thats a track car". There are more, namely the Porsche Carrera GT, the Pagani Zonda, the Koenigsegg. The Corvette may have one record though: its the only sub-$100,000 car (except for the radical) to go this fast. But the Nissan Skyline and the Subaru WRX Sti, which even poor sods like me can one day dream to afford, went only 15 seconds slower.

Quote:
see there is no basis of using hp/lt to crown an engine as "the best", if it is for you, go ahead and keep using it...
of course i will. i will use hp/lt, reliability, fuel economy AND torque at low rpm like the REST OF THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY to gauge how good an engine is.

Quote:
its lack of knowledge and "desi baised attitude towards anything jap/german" that reeks from your thoughts
yeah. i agree. I even know why you are grouping the jap/german together. You looked up my profile fully expecting me to drive a Corolla or Civic like all the cookie-cutter desis, but horror of horrors, you found a Jetta VR6 in there.

A masters student in automotive systems engineering, who is also a hardcore enthusiast, from Detroit, Michigan, suffering from lack of knowledge about the American auto industry. Yeah, that's VERY likely.

Quote:
..i am not being personal at all, i am telling you what is fact..yesterday i had a LP640 as my desktop, before that a 2008 Nissan GTR, before that F430 before that M5, S8, TVR, a GT500, F599, Ford GT, SLR, Audi R8, 997Turbo, 997 GT3, Carrera GT, Enzo, upcoming camero, Lexus LF-A, Dodge Viper, DB9, Vanquish S, Phantom, Jag XK-R, F40, and now a 08' CL65,
I have a corvette coffee mug and a "Chevy Drives America" cap; that doesnt prove anything.

Quote:
if you dont get it now, i guess you will get it when you drive the 2 cars..if you ever want to see what american muscle is all about sure go ahead and come down to chicago and i will take you for a ride and then come next may and i will take you for a ride in a high revving engine too as it might be my next ride, you know a 3.7l turbo charged putting out 500, just like you like...so dont tell me i pick blindly.
Thanks for the offer man. Glad to accept it. Sometimes I too wish I had the money to buy a Corvette AND a G35. But then if I did, I would rather buy a 2006 Honda Civic hybrid for everyday use, and an Ariel Atom to take to Waterford for a trackday, AND a Kawasaki ZX-14 to kick Ferrari, Lamborghini, Corvette, Viper, etc @ss till kingdom come.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Ok fine, i give up, being an automotive student and still talking like that makes me wonder if being an automotive student makes any diff, I have been talking to enthusiasts who build and race cars for a hobby and the knowledge i have gained from there only tell me otherwise..I dont want to make this thread into another corvette vs X, I know what I know, while you know what you know.

As for 2010 NSX, i am still laughing my @$$ off on that..have fun with the thought..i know what NSX is capable off, and what 1990 NSX was capable off, so please lets leave it @ that. You have no idea as to which direction i was going into but you took it as if i am against a country or certain manufacturer when i am not, my next car purchase might as well be the next godzilla(even though i know it wouldnt be a speck on the Z06 but still i am not biased as some or loyal for that matter, i like variety and spice in life).

and only 15 secs slower, wow, i am sure you didnt use the same math to say oh then the vette was only 10 secs slower than the CCX or the CGT which is a feat you seem to over look..anyhow until you experience it i cant help you with your thought process..The world is bowing down the Z06 and what GM/Corvette team has done, its time you accept it, i am as against as the american automotive industry as you, but when someone makes world beating, you have to give respect and like it

and my offer still stands..

I hope you are able to get the mentioned automobiles for you to have fun in soon..cheers

Last edited by 1Day : 3rd April 2007 at 01:26.
Old 3rd April 2007, 01:41   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
and my offer still stands..

I hope you are able to get the mentioned automobiles for you to have fun in soon..cheers

I hope so too. But I dont hope that changes my viewpoint about American made cars in general.

Being an automotive student makes a difference on a level incomprehensible to people from other disciplines (no offence meant to anyone here). Glad you are open enough to understand that.
Old 3rd April 2007, 02:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope so too. But I dont hope that changes my viewpoint about American made cars in general.

Being an automotive student makes a difference on a level incomprehensible to people from other disciplines (no offence meant to anyone here). Glad you are open enough to understand that.
I am sure you will..

As for knowledge, all my life i have put more emphasis on touch, feel and try philosophy more than anything else and I am sure you agree there, I am a comp engg, but what i got to know because of pure experience i couldnt expect even a phd student in the same field to have..experiencing something and reading about it is totally different. While i accept that you have a different point of view about engines and american cars in general, i still stand by what experience has taught me and what "pro" experience has taught people who race cars all day long and have owned all the high $$ cars we only talk about here..

Last edited by 1Day : 3rd April 2007 at 02:05.
Old 3rd April 2007, 03:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

I'd like a ride in an American musclecar and a high revver, so I hope your offer is open to us all, 1Day!
Old 3rd April 2007, 04:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
I'd like a ride in an American musclecar and a high revver, so I hope your offer is open to us all, 1Day!
if you are close by come on down this summer for an american muscle punch and most likely by next summer i should replace this muscle with some jap muscle..(i hope i can keep both but doesnt seem like it for now, thats the order from the boss)
Old 3rd April 2007, 06:30   #27
BHPian

I was just waiting for 1Day. And suddenly I see 15 posts between the two of them.
Just to add to it,
Fifth gear rated Z06 as the best supercar beating cars like The Scaglietti, Carrera, Gallardo.
Top gear (Clarkson) gave the Z06 some very good reviews. It is in the top 5 lap timings of Top Gear, beating cars like the M5, 911 turbo, Gallardo etc etc.
And that's coming from Brits, who hate American cars more than anything else.

The C6R which is the GT/Le Mans version of the Z06 has been winning the the 24 hour Le Mans in its category for the last 2 years, beating cars like the Aston Martin DBR9.

Car and Driver magazine ranked the Z06 ahead of cars like the Gallardo, DB9, F430, Scaglietti, 911 Turbo.

Need I say more?
The only thing which the Z06 suffers from is bad reputation. Since the Corvettes of yesteryears were muscle cars, people automatically assume the same for this one too. But when GM wanted to make the 50th century Corvette in 2003, they went for a track car instead of a muscle car. And the tradition has followed since.
If you actually see the LS7 in detail, it's not that bad. Titanium connecting rods, dry sump oil system, aluminum block etc etc.
If you compare the weight to horsepower ratio for many supercars, the Z06 isn't that bad at all.
Old 3rd April 2007, 07:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hp/lt is a NON-functional excuse? How else do you gauge how good an engine is? Please enlighten me.
Quote:
The (NSX) engine was a "small" 3.0 V6 that put out "only" 270 hp. How much did the 1990 corvette put out? A road-burning 250 hp from its small block V8 that displaced "only" 5.7 litres.
And all the while I thought someone was going to answer this question. Interesting how no one takes me up on any of the questions I throw up, and instead chooses to go off on a tangent.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 3rd April 2007 at 08:05.
Old 3rd April 2007, 08:20   #29
BHPian

agreed the 90 zr1 vette isn't the cup holder of american cars but it did set some records in that time:
Quote:
n 1990, with ZR-1 and L-98 Corvettes and the United States Auto Club (USAC) and the overall governing body of Federation Internationale De automobile (FIA), in Ft. Stockton, Texas, set three world records (averaging 175.885 MPH including pit stops for 24 hours.); twelve International Class Records, and a 5,000 mile record (173.791 MPH). The 50 year old legendary Ab Jenkins' record was finally broken by the Morrison Corvette ZR1's. Here is the summary of the records broken.
1990-1995 ZR-1 Corvette Specifications - Corvette Action Center
and its pretty interesting to see how from 91 till now the nsx is in the range of 250-290 bhp also if you would see the price range the nsx costs 89g usd where as the vette costs 69 usd a totally better performer and also did you know that chevy makes a loss on every vette made only on the vette saw about this on history channel from the day it started and still does.

Quote:
hp/lt is a NON-functional excuse? How else do you gauge how good an engine is? Please enlighten me.
so if i take it this way more cylinders and displacement doesnt matter so if i have a 700 bhp I4 it would better than a 700 bhp v8 because it would have a higer hp/lt rating.-please clarify my doubt.

also sujay the z06 isnt the start of th wins before that there was the c5 check out this page:
Corvette Racing
Old 3rd April 2007, 09:00   #30
Senior - BHPian

EDIT: ok this has gone far enough. dont wanna be part of this anymore.

Last edited by ananthkamath : 3rd April 2007 at 09:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks