Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2020, 18:29   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector

The 2022 Chevrolet Captiva for the Mexican market is actually a re-badged MG Hector. It will debut in the first half of 2021.

Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector-emeq75vweaa8qts.jpg

The exterior styling of the Mexico-spec Captiva is based on the 2020 Baojun 530, which is essentially the same car that is sold in India under the MG badge. The only visible changes made to the Captiva include a different grille mesh and the bowtie logo. Even the dual-tone alloy wheels are similar to those offered on the Baojun 530.

Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector-emeq75cw8aqpedj.jpg

Note that the Captiva has 3-rows of seats with a bench seat in the second row. MG offers the Hector Plus with 3-row seating in India but instead of a bench seat, it gets two separate captain seats in the second row.

Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector-emeq8rlxyaegcp.jpg

At one time, Chevrolet used to sell the Captiva in India. In 2015, the SUV received a mild update that included a new split grille. It was powered by a 2.2-litre diesel engine that produced 184 BHP and 400 Nm and came with either a 6-speed manual or a 6-speed automatic with all-wheel drive.

Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector-emeq7_zxmaezuo4.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th November 2020 at 18:31.
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 18:38   #2
BHPian

Re: Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector

You usually see Chinese carmakers copy other car companies. Looks like Chevrolet has played their Uno reverse card here

Want to see how MG (which is a Chinese company hiding behind British legacy xD) reacts to this.

Last edited by Sreesh1009 : 15th November 2020 at 18:52.
Sreesh1009 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:34   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Want to see how MG (which is a Chinese company hiding behind British legacy xD) reacts to this.
The MG Hector had been developed under the joint venture between General Motors and SAIC. It's based on Baojun 530 and already sold as Chevrolet Captiva in Thailand & Columbia and as Wuling Almaz in Indonesia.
Abhi5868 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreesh1009 View Post
Baojun is a subsidiary of a JV between SAIC and GM. SAIC owns MG as well. So not an issue for anyone, just rebranding product according to the market.
Vijin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:52   #5
Senior - BHPian

Chevrolet Captiva = MG Hector = Baojun 530 = Wuling Almaz.
I remember seeing this topic already being discussed in some other threads in team-bhp.
clevermax is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 19:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Yup it is selling as the Chevrolet Captiva in the Gulf markets as well. They unveiled it at the 2019 Dubai Motor Show along side the Crovette Sting Ray. I made a short video that time. Here it is:

Dippy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 22:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Chevrolet Captiva = MG Hector = Baojun 530 = Wuling Almaz.
I remember seeing this topic already being discussed in some other threads in team-bhp.
Rebadging as a strategy for globalization. Highly profitable for the GM-SAIC venture. Unfortunately, call it what you may, it is ill-proportioned and ugly as hell.
14000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 15:21   #8
BHPian

It's the same everywhere. They have both 5 and 7 seater version on sale here in Saudi Arabia. Quoting myself from an old thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilharis View Post
They have launched Captiva in Saudi at an equivalent price of 12 Lakh INR for the 1.5L turbo. The entry level variant here is pretty loaded too.
5 seater variant starts at 56900 Riyal ( appx. ₹ 11.00 Lakh ) and 7 seater variant starts at 65,600 Riyal ( appx. ₹ 12.7 lakh )

Mexico's Chevrolet Captiva is a re-badged MG Hector-ezgif33591259df8e1.jpg

Last edited by kamilharis : 16th November 2020 at 15:34.
Old 16th November 2020, 19:57   #9
BHPian

Next is what? MG Gloster rebadged as the Trailblazer?
Old 16th November 2020, 22:28   #10
BHPian

The MG badge itself is a front

I don't see it as a problem though. At least not in those segments.

Badge engineering happens due to business reasons. It's not as if Chevrolet did it without MG being aware of it.

We had a Chevrolet Optra for 12 years. At some point I realized it's actually a rebadged Daewoo Lacetti. I thought I bought a Chevrolet, but it was really a Daewoo, which was underwhelming. Furthermore I spotted it in the USA with a Suzuki badge

Nonetheless, the car turned out to have bulletproof reliability. No mechanical or electrical failures, no breakdowns or anything in the 12 years we had it. Can't say the same about our Benz. (Perhaps it was because it was a Korean car that it was reliable? Chevrolet isn't the last word in reliability).

Whilst on the point, I doubt if the majority of Chevrolets sold in India were "true" Chevrolets.
voldemort is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2020, 20:08   #11
BHPian

The design of the old Chevrolet Captiva sold in India had a much better design.It looked butch and had a great stance and with an all wheel drive function it felt like a proper SUV.The same can't be said about the new captiva as it looks more of an MPV than an SUV.
Looks like the target audience for the captiva has changed and GM must be positioning the product a level/class lower than before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks