Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2007, 09:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Oltre Fiat

With the world moving towards more fuel efficient cars, there are some companies moving to gas guzzling fuel behemoths!
Fiats response to the Hummer and IVECO's LMV has it jostling for space in the military space with its "Oltre"

"Oltre Fiat" press release
The "Oltre Fiat" show car was presented today at the Bologna Motor Show in a spectacular display; this unique model confirms the Fiat Group's technological excellence even in the large four-wheel drive and off-road segment.
It is derived from the Iveco LMV (Light Multirole Vehicle), the new military off-road vehicle that embodies cutting edge technical features and has won the FCLV (Future Command and Liaison Vehicle) contract for the British Army, also being chosen by the Italian Army.
The show car has very generous external dimensions: it is 4,870 mm long, 2,050 mm tall, 2,200 mm wide and has a wheelbase of 3,230 mm. It has "exuberant" styling, developed around a silhouette with straight wheelarches that cut across the uncluttered sides. The door handles have been recessed deliberately, so that they do not constitute an obstacle when driving off-road. In other words, the design concept underlines the car's practical personality, which is taken to an extreme by the vehicle's real performance.
The Crew-Cab version (long cab with an open platform) achieves a perfect balance between the feeling of dominating the terrain from inside the comfortable cab, and the Spartan personality of a pure expedition Pick-up. The tubular structure above the cab enhances the solidity of the whole vehicle, focusing attention on the presence of a complete rollover bar inside the cab. And finally, the adjustable sunshade at the top of the windscreen increases the dynamism of the roof, and recreates the typical structure of vehicles used for desert crossings. The Oltre-Fiat clearly embodies power and solidity, having inherited all the features peculiar to the military model, starting from the permanent 4x4 transmission that allows it to tackle any situation or route. The merit also goes to the generous 50 cm ground clearance, and the highly efficient independent suspension system with coil springs and coaxial dampers.
The vehicle's extraordinary capacity as an "explorer" is also enhanced by the fact that all-wheel drive is engaged automatically when it is needed. All three differentials lock, a system that guarantees optimal wheel grip in all conditions. Thanks to these solutions, the Oltre Fiat can negotiate a lateral gradient of up to 40%, and longitudinal gradients of 80%; it can also tackle fords of up to 85 cm, and this can be increased to 1.5 metres by mounting special inlet and exhaust pipe extensions. And finally, the show car is fitted with high performance, ultra sporty (V speed code), low profile Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 315/40R26 XL (Extra load) tyres.
The vehicle on show in Bologna can therefore perform a wide range of functions; it is equipped with an Iveco F1C Common rail diesel engine, with a variable geometry turbo and intercooler. The 3-litre engine has 4 cylinders in line and delivers a maximum power output of 136 kW (185 bhp) at 3700 rpm, and peak torque of 456 Nm at 1800 rpm. Combined with a six-speed automatic transmission, the engine gives this extraordinary vehicle a top speed of over 130 km/h.
And finally, the Oltre-Fiat show car weighs about seven tonnes, ready for the road and exploiting all its load capacity. It can seat four or five people, depending on the interior outfit, with an overall payload of about three tonnes.
Fiat thanks the following organisations for their collaboration in the development of the Oltre Fiat show car: RRS (vehicle outfit), Pirelli (tyres), Sabelt (seats) and Alpine (audiovisual systems).

source
Old 12th April 2007, 10:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ugly .... and looks like a toy.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:23   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
I second you typeO. Looks too loud for my taste.
Old 12th April 2007, 10:50   #4
BHPian

Its very wanna be from FIAT
Old 12th April 2007, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

It probably is a photograph of a scale model they built. Looks quite plasticky. It doesn't look thaaaad bad for a military-use vehicle.
Old 12th April 2007, 11:00   #6
Team-BHP Support

Did someone observe that it carries the old Fiat logo. How old is this news? It should carry the new Fiat logo in 'Red / Maroon' if it is a new design.
Old 12th April 2007, 11:41   #7
BHPian

After the HMMWV, everything else looks so passe. And what IS with those bling rims? They planning to show off to the enemy across the border?
Old 12th April 2007, 11:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Me thinks it is a toy photographed close. It is fiat's fantasy vehicle. The militaries of the world have far better vehicles than this, maybe Indian cities might need them in the future.
Old 12th April 2007, 11:43   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Did someone observe that it carries the old Fiat logo. How old is this news? It should carry the new Fiat logo in 'Red / Maroon' if it is a new design.
Now that's what I call powers of observation

It must be old news/old proto.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:21   #10
BHPian

yuk!!! Not my kinds at all
Old 12th April 2007, 14:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

guys, this is a 'concept car' so the 'outrageousness' can be pardoned. and yes i think this will be for military purpose as I dont see that car on the streets and i dont see anyone BUYING it atleast
Old 12th April 2007, 14:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madan80 View Post
The vehicle on show in Bologna can therefore perform a wide range of functions; it is equipped with an Iveco F1C Common rail diesel engine, with a variable geometry turbo and intercooler. The 3-litre engine has 4 cylinders in line and delivers a maximum power output of 136 kW (185 bhp) at 3700 rpm, and peak torque of 456 Nm at 1800 rpm. Combined with a six-speed automatic transmission, the engine gives this extraordinary vehicle a top speed of over 130 km/h.
And finally, the Oltre-Fiat show car weighs about seven tonnes, ready for the road and exploiting all its load capacity. It can seat four or five people, depending on the interior outfit, with an overall payload of about three tonnes.
Such a puny engine for a seven-tonne monster - seriously doubt if it will be able to pull itself out of a small puddle.
Old 12th April 2007, 14:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post
Such a puny engine for a seven-tonne monster - seriously doubt if it will be able to pull itself out of a small puddle.
I think that torque is good enough.
Below given are the figure for 14 tonne(add another 4 tonne load) Volvo B7R bus.
(290 hp) @ 2100 rpm
1200 nm @ 1050 - 1650 rpm
Old 12th April 2007, 15:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
I think that torque is good enough.
Below given are the figure for 14 tonne(add another 4 tonne load) Volvo B7R bus.
(290 hp) @ 2100 rpm
1200 nm @ 1050 - 1650 rpm
Figures are comparable - but I would expect a mean off-roading monster to have more grunt than a bus.

C'mon - the power to weight ratio of the much-maligned current-gen Endy and older TCIC Safari are way better than this behemoth, leave alone its true counterpart - the Hummer.

Last edited by goldie_malhotra : 12th April 2007 at 15:35.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks