Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2021, 22:57   #1
BHPian

Consumer Reports: Jeep Compass & Ford EcoSport are among the 10 least reliable 2021 models

10 least reliable 2021 models, according to Consumer Reports:

1. Chevrolet Silverado/GMC Sierra 1500
2. Subaru Ascent
3. Volkswagen Atlas
4. Jeep Compass
5. Volvo XC90
6. Chevrolet Colorado/GMC Canyon
7. Tesla Model S
8. Jeep Wrangler
9. Ford EcoSport
10. Volvo XC60

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...vs/6337648002/

From an Indian perspective, only 5 of the vehicles in this list are sold in India. I was not surprised about Jeep Compass & Wrangler as they have always featured at the bottom of the reliability charts forever however what was surprising was the two Volvo products & Tesla Model S. Initial lot of Tesla model S was plagued by some issues however for it to be featured in this list is a bit surprising.

Just as an FYI, the Jeep Compass featured in this list gets assembled at the FCA’s Toluca plant in Mexico for the North American markets.

The Ford EcoSport though featured in this list is assembled in India for export to the North American markets. Ford has been exporting EcoSport to North American markets since November 2016.

What is surprising is the inclusion of both Volvo XC 60 & XC 90 in this list. I have never owned a Volvo product but had a perception about these being relatively superior offerings as compared to their North American counterparts in the respective segments.

Some food for thought for the prospective buyers of Ford EcoSport, Jeep Compass/Wrangler & Volvo XC 60/90.

Last edited by Vikram Arya : 10th January 2021 at 22:58. Reason: spelling correction
Vikram Arya is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 00:23   #2
BHPian

re: Consumer Reports: Jeep Compass & Ford EcoSport are among the 10 least reliable 2021 models

Now if only they sold Skodas in the US...
karanddd is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 06:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Consumer Reports: Jeep Compass & Ford EcoSport are among the 10 least reliable 2021 models

I think we have enough variance in the design and transmission/ fuel to warrant our own list. The Compass sold in India is predominantly MJD 2.0 , which does not get sold in the US. And by all accounts the MJD engines are one of the most reliable ones in the Indian market.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 08:43   #4
BHPian

There is a YouTube video around that which takes consumer reports into consideration. Surprised to see Jeep Compass 2021 in that list.
askicode is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 09:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikram Arya View Post
10 least reliable 2021
8. Jeep Wrangler
not surprised about Jeep Compass & Wrangler as they have always featured at the bottom of the reliability charts forever
Don't know, maybe we were lucky. My son had a wrangler for 3 Years and did over 30,000 Km. Zero issues. Just the Yearly oil change and all in Calgary weather. Not sure about the Volvos too as some of the members have reported zero niggles.

Surprising not to find anything from JLR On 4 of the 5 test drives of RR vehicles, brand new, I have seen one or the other error (mostly software), so how these escape the list is a mystery for me.

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th January 2021 at 09:53.
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:21   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Consumer Reports: Jeep Compass & Ford EcoSport are among the 10 least reliable 2021 models

Jeep has a bad rep for reliability worldwide. Even in India, many Compass owners have suffered niggles, some breakdowns too. IIRC, there are pictures on the Official Review thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Don't know, maybe we were lucky. My son had a wrangler for 3 Years and did over 30,000 Km. Zero issues.
True. But also:

- 30000 km is too low. Most devils start showing their true colours after 30000 to 50000 km. My Indigo & C220 were quite reliable for the first 30000 km or so, and devils afterward.

- That said, every car will have some owners who have enjoyed 100% reliability, even VW / Skoda DQ200 DSG owners. But an unreliable car will have a higher percentage of problematic cars. Like, for the Innova, that is probably 1% of all new Innovas sold every month, but for a Mercedes, it may be more like 10% of cars that have niggles.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 09:52   #7
Team-BHP Support

Re: Consumer Reports: Jeep Compass & Ford EcoSport are among the 10 least reliable 2021 models

The Tesla Model S, at least the early iterations, had a lot of issues, most significantly with the door handles that stayed flush with the door, even when the driver intended to use them to get in.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 00:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- That said, every car will have some owners who have enjoyed 100% reliability, even VW / Skoda DQ200 DSG owners. But an unreliable car will have a higher percentage of problematic cars. Like, for the Innova, that is probably 1% of all new Innovas sold every month, but for a Mercedes, it may be more like 10% of cars that have niggles.
Couldn't agree more. Rarely have I seen an Innova owner complain about problems with the car however the same cant be said about Jeep.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:01   #9
BHPian

Surprised to see Chevy pickups on the list. Chevy sells a lot of those pickup trucks in the US. I have a perception of them being strong and reliable. The silverado has been in the American market since 2 decades. They usually carry heavy loads of cargo. These type of vehicles are usually engineered to be durable and reliable. But looks like they are being the exact opposite of what they are supposed to be.
Old 4th February 2021, 10:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Musk owns up QC issues on Tesla cars.

Quote:
Musk said Tesla continued to make progress even as recently as December of last year, noting that the company is finding issues more quickly as the pace of production continues to speed up.

"When you go faster, you just discover these things," he said. "If we knew them in advance, we'd fix them in advance."

Musk also discussed some other challenges that the company has previously experienced. After Munro praised the seats in the Model 3 as the most comfortable he has ever experienced in a car, Musk volunteered that he used to refer to the seat in the early Model S, one of the company's first vehicles, as a "stone toadstool."

"The early Model S's probably had the worst seat of any car I ever sat in," Musk said.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/03/b...ems/index.html
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 11:14   #11
Senior - BHPian

Talking mass-market cars in the US:
1. The Ecosport is too small (both car & engine) to comfortably handle the demands of the average American roads. Small cars never do well in the US (just ask Suzuki) and the Ecosport is no surprise.
2. The Jeeps have horrendous build quality. Combine that with the harsh conditions of the US roads, no surprise that it is on this list. I think the Jeep Compass diesel should be okay in India as Fiat makes good small Diesel engines. Also, not too many Indian keep their car for more than 10 years/100k km, so the compass should be okay barring the occasional niggle. It won’t be a comparable to an Innova though.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks