Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2007, 14:51   #31
Senior - BHPian

personal opinion is
- the manual gear box is tooo complicated for them.
- they are very lazy.

cheers.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:09   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbasak View Post
I don't understand why a whole nation only drives automatic cars!
What was the choice before you when you went to buy a car ? say, you love the swift & go to buy it, what are your options ? you take the manual since that is the only option you have. Try searching for an auto transmission in India. It is the same there, people have gotten used to something & they cannot change just like we cannot change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
personal opinion is
- they are very lazy.
cheers.
That is the most hypocritical statement ever said. If they were lazy, there would not have been a computer revolution which we are benefitting from. I think we should search ourselves before passing any comments like that.
Old 17th April 2007, 15:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
personal opinion is
- they are very lazy.
cheers.
Indians drive MT. Does that mean,
- Indians work well with complicated m/c?
- Indians are not lazy?

IMO, driving MT itself is a trivial activity and AT simplifies that too.

PS: I find the automatic sliding doors for entry & exit in most of the malls and few shops. Does that mean people who visit these places are lazy to open the door?
Old 17th April 2007, 16:47   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Indians drive MT. Does that mean,
- Indians work well with complicated m/c?
- Indians are not lazy?

IMO, driving MT itself is a trivial activity and AT simplifies that too.

PS: I find the automatic sliding doors for entry & exit in most of the malls and few shops. Does that mean people who visit these places are lazy to open the door?
TOTALLY OFF TOPIC : hmm looks like 'sense of humour is missing'. and if the same has been taken in a serious context, let me explain something.
- max. people dead because of obesity : AMERICA. AMERICANS are obese because they are TOOO Lazy to cook food and mostly LIVE on FAST FOOD. I guess this explains the 'lazy' bit.

- Complicated : Well the americans were never known for their high level of intellect. . .werent they

hope that clears my stand. (if taken seriously).

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
That is the most hypocritical statement ever said. If they were lazy, there would not have been a computer revolution which we are benefitting from. I think we should search ourselves before passing any comments like that.
as said earlier. . . 'sense of humour'

Last edited by Dippy : 7th July 2010 at 22:10. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 17th April 2007, 18:25   #35
Senior - BHPian

Pros and Cons

Auto Transmission
  • In my opinion, driving should always be a pleasurable experience. Having an auto transmission vehicle, calls for less effort from the drivers side leaving the driver to enjoy the trip rather than concentrate on making sure to be in the right gear all the time and keep using the clutch.
  • Most modern day auto-transmission vehicles offer fuel economy close to or in some cases even better than manual transmission vehicles. In manual transmission vehicles, driving skills play a very important role in deciding the fuel economy. This uncertainty is eliminated to a great extent in auto-transmissions.
  • Technically, probably cruise control works better on auto-transmission vehicles (Do they work in manaul transmission vehicles?)
  • Cruise control is used very frequently in the US on high way drives. This helps to maintain a constant speed and you will not overspeed.
Manual Transmission
  • Needed for controlling your torque and speed while overtaking, racing etc.
  • A pain in most of India's city driving - keep shifting between 2nd and 3rd and leading to early wear and tear of the clutch and brakes.
  • Needed if you are crazy to overtake every vehicle on the road, while driving in cities in India.
Old 17th April 2007, 21:11   #36
Senior - BHPian

American cars are mostly softly sprung, humongous beasts with large capacity engines. Likewise, they mostly prefer Auto trannies. Europeans prefer hatches with sporty suspension and manual gear boxes.

We Indians are in love with manuals. Ironic, as even city trotters dont mind shifting gears a zillion times in snail pace traffic.

It is simply termed 'car culture'...
Old 17th April 2007, 21:41   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
Auto Transmission
  • Technically, probably cruise control works better on auto-transmission vehicles (Do they work in manaul transmission vehicles?)
yes cruise control works in MT too, just in SOME cars you have to be in 3rd gear or higher for it to work.
Old 17th April 2007, 23:58   #38
BHPian

Good Topic.MT in USA have low resale value and hard to sell unless it's a sports car.Some of the our guys though love to drive MT cars here just becoz of the resale value/hard to sell factor go for AT .
Old 13th July 2009, 22:47   #39
BANNED

GUYS u missed china

hi
well in china also most car sold are automatics
also most rich people buy either bmw or audi
or toyoto or nissan
same very few manuel transmission cars
also middle class or highter level class people buy only big car
smale car like suzuki swift are are un safe because there highways are big
and most car speed in high speed
so is not safte to drive a samle car in china
also price for smale car and big car not much diffrence so people prefer big cars
narry
Old 13th July 2009, 23:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Well forget India vs. America. Its a pointless discussion because MTs are cheaper and since we aren't as rich as them, it makes economic sense. But look at it from the America vs. Europe angle. My only guess is that the Europeans enjoy driving more while Americans look at it as an necessity to get from one place to another.

Edit: Looks like sajo posted something along these lines already!

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 13th July 2009 at 23:30.
Old 13th July 2009, 23:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

My experience of the US is that they like all things to be as dumbed down as possible and the AT is just an example. And the cost of energy till now was not a big deal to them, so that did not come in the way.
Old 14th July 2009, 00:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
TOTALLY OFF TOPIC : hmm looks like 'sense of humour is missing'. and if the same has been taken in a serious context, let me explain something.

- max. people dead because of obesity : AMERICA. AMERICANS are obese because they are TOOO Lazy to cook food and mostly LIVE on FAST FOOD. I guess this explains the 'lazy' bit.

- Complicated : Well the americans were never known for their high level of intellect. . .werent they
hope that clears my stand. (if taken seriously).
How do you explain the fact that Japan is also 90% + automatics? Surely they are at the other end of the lazy meter.
Old 14th July 2009, 07:08   #43
Senior - BHPian

Good question that, about the Japanese. Maybe because since the end of WW2, they tend to copy the Americans. As they do in things like their love for baseball. Just a guess, will ask a Japanese the next time I get a chance.
Old 14th July 2009, 08:02   #44
BHPian

Firstly the thread title is a bit of a misnomer. There are not 'only' auto cars in the US. But yes, most of them are autos. And while convenience and instant gratification is a big reason, autos are not that bad to drive. Many a good driver can lick a manual with an auto.
And while we are proud of our manual driving skills, why then do most Indians in the US leave this skill behind and get autos? In fact with the vast open highways there is all the more reason to get a manual right?
Old 15th July 2009, 00:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

UAE is full of automatic vehicles, even the Dubai transport buses are automatic!

its a boon to city drivers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks