Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Which country makes the most fun-to-drive cars?

It really pains to see where India lies in the world map of fun to drive automobiles. True, Tatas and Mahindras are making progress but the catch up they need to make is HUGE.

That aside, I am a great admirer of German engineering for driving pleasure and Japanese for reliability with koreans somewhere in between.

Last edited by DonHyd : 2nd February 2021 at 18:18.
DonHyd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 22:06   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
What's the first ?
Unless the OP had something else in mind, there's no other answer except Belgium. Whether it is variety or the quality or the quirks associated with drinking beer, nothing beats Belgium. There's a pub here in Brussels called Delirium Village, yes that's right its called a village because it is an entire small lane which is essentially the pub. And it held the world record at some point in time for serving the maximum variety of liquor under 1 roof - some 2000 odd. Then there is another one in Ghent where you have to deposit 1 shoe (yes only 1) to be able to get inside and drink. And these are just some of the fun facts.
zadoom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 12:33   #18
BHPian

Awesome thread! I think fun, like all product attributes is subjective to various price points. By that, I mean you can have fun in a little Reliant Robin skipping across English b-roads, or you can power a 1000 BHP Ferrari FXX down the flowing Mugello circuit for a million a pop.

For affordable fun, don't think anyone comes close to the Brits. Those little Caterhams, Lotus Exiges and the early Ariel Atoms (the ones coming out now are close to a 100k sterling, not exactly cheap!). The Brits also cater to high-end customers with their Mclarens, Astons and supercharged Jags (that new Project 8, drool!), so that's a big tick in their box as well.

For supercar fun though, can we really look past Italy? Ferrari, Lamborghini, Pagani, DeTomaso- this is the birthplace of the super/hypercar.

Germany- when you're buying a German car, somehow the word fun doesn't seem to fit in. We think engineering excellence, quality, brand value etc, but fun? Maybe on some AMG Blacks, but the rest are meant for motorways. Save for Porsches of course, but that's only at the higher end.

America can come close only with their muscle cars, and now at the other end of the environmental scale with their Ludicrous Teslas, but not much in-between.

France has Alpine, and maybe a sporty Renault Clio. Japan is another great contender with offerings across the value spectrum- NSX, Supra, GT86 etc.
Sudarshan42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 14:00   #19
BHPian

For me it depends on what kind of fun one is looking for.

For the fun of ripping up small capacity(comparatively) high revving petrols: It's Japan (City Vtec, S2000, MX5, 86, EVO, Type-R, Supra, WRX, Godzilla list goes on....)
For the fun of driving perfection, finesse and well built: It's Germany (Big 3, Various VWs, Porshe)
For rumbling around and straight line fun in Big Burly V8s. And also SUVs and Trucks: US (GM, Dodge, RAM, Ford etc).
For Romantic pleasure, emotions and beauty: Italy (Most beautiful car designs of this planet-Fiat, Alfa, Ferrari, Lambo etc etc)

Regards,
DevOnWheels
DevOnWheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 18:00   #20

I'm a strong advocate for Japan being the country to go to when it comes to most fun-to-drive cars since when you're looking at particular Japanese vehicles you have the price per smile aspect that can be applied. At the same time I've owned a variety of German cars and from experiences with E36s + E46s those are also some extremely accessible German cars that are insanely fun to drive as well.

To me it's really a mix of German and Japanese cars but in the end it's different for everyone. I won't disregard the UK though since they are the home of lightweight, small, garage built sports cars, but they are just so inaccessible for different people and their owner's clubs gatekeep to the extreme.
MrVIPMan250 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 08:08   #21
BHPian

This seems like that TopGear idea during a News segment, put forward by Clarkson if I remember correctly

I'd have to go with Germany for this one. From the small car all the way to the supercar and everything in between, they've got it covered.
SaiSW is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2021, 00:28   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
This seems like that TopGear idea during a News segment, put forward by Clarkson if I remember correctly
Is it? I'd love to know which episode it was! Must have been quite a hilarious discussion (as usual)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks