Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:08   #1
BHPian

BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone

I came across this article on Topgear.

Quote:
We have, I think, fans rather than customers,” says Adrian van Hooydonk, BMW Group design chief. “That is certainly something we realise. We want to take them with us on this trip towards the future.”

Perhaps a bleak future, if you’ve read below the Internet’s fold. Comment sections rife with ‘they’ve lost it!’, ‘garish!’ and even ‘bring back Chris Bangle!’. Those are just the nicer bits of the web.

BMW’s design boss Domagoj Dukec is acutely aware of the noise surrounding the company’s creations. “I’m reading social media and press, and I can see that some people are wondering where BMW is heading, but I can assure you that we have a clear vision about where we’re going. We all love the brand.”

Was he surprised by the sheer volume of criticism the company received?

“Not really,” he tells Top Gear. “I’ve been in this business for over 20 years. You know how it is in design - everybody has an opinion. That’s normal. If you want to create something that stands out, it must be distinguished and it has to be different.”

OK. But is he absolutely adamant that they’re plotting the right course? “You can create something beautiful, and we also have cars which are just pretty. But there are some customers that, if you want to reach them, you have to stand out. You have to create something that is not in-line; maybe not like an everyday car or an everyday product, but that’s exactly the reason.”

He points to BMW’s heritage – recent heritage – and the Bangle-era BMWs which were “so criticised” at the time, now being looked back on with fondness, like the E60 5 Series. “That was breaking with everything so far [up to that point],” Dukec tells us.

“Now, this is a special time. It is different and distinguished [the new cars], I think this is something we are used to. It is not our goal to please everyone in the world. You can’t make a design which pleases everyone. But you have to please your customers,” he adds.

“Not all our products get the same critics,” Dukec said. “You can see that on something as polarising like the kidneys on the 4 Series, 20 per cent of people are liking it. That fits to the type of customers we are targeting.

“Not all customers are going for the 4 Series,” he added. Which means if you’re unhappy with the grille and the 4 Series it comes attached to, you’re unlikely – at least according to BMW – to be a prospective purchaser of said grille. And said 4 Series.

“It’s impossible to create something where everybody will cheer and say ‘this is the most beautiful car in the world’,” Dukec said. (To which we say ‘E38 7 Series’. Wonder where the group called ‘nostalgic curmudgeons with no money’ fits into BMW’s fan base?)

Van Hooydonk had more to say. “It’s really fantastic [if you have fans]. It means you have people that not just buy your products, but love what you do. Of course, if they love what you do, the minute you change it, they might have an issue with it.

“It comes with the territory,” he added.

He stressed that the team’s job ‘was not easy’. “In 2021, we are making design decisions for products that will come into the market in 2024. And those will then remain in the market for seven or eight years, so beyond 2030. How will customers react in so many years from now?

“We don’t know. What we do know is that if we don’t move, we become a sitting duck. I guess the name of the game is to move enough so that the company thrives in the future, but not so much you lose contact with your fan base altogether,” he added.
For more:
https://www.topgear.com/car-news/bmw...lease-everyone

Judging by his interview , they are not gonna change their design language any soon. Brace yourselves BMW fans. This is the future:

BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone-download.jpg

BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone-download-1.jpg
Eshan Joshi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:57   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone

What he is saying: There are lot of people out their on the internet with opinions, but we don’t care as long as our customers like it.

It is very true, there are far more people out there venting opinions on BMW, than actual BMW owners! What is also very true is that what people say they like and what they will actually buy are two entirely different things. (Jaguar once found out to their dismay)

There is a huge difference between people being interested in BMW and those actually doing the buying of new BMWs. Obviously there is some overlap, but you need to get the balance right and concentrate on what matters; actual customers and actual innovation. The latter will always be controversial. He gives some good examples. But I can think of many more in the automotive world.

I recall how appalled people responded to the new Ford Sierra at the time, it was replacing the Taunus. Very few people appreciated the new looks at the time.

If it was not for guys like Adrian, pushing the envelop we would still be riding horse and carriage. Because in those days, nobody thought putting an engine in a cart made any sense.

So anybody being a bit ballsy and sticking to their guns is a good sign on the whole I think. Listening to the masses only gets your average at best. Designers need to have their own flair and insights.

Of course, if he fails miserable, which is entirely possible with innovations, and nobody buys BMW anymore I will be very happy. I have not much use for BMWs irrespective of their looks.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 3rd February 2021 at 21:00.
Jeroen is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 21:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone

This guy will surely feel the pinch when numbers come. There is something like evolution and another to spoil an existing lineup. Even if there are 1% of people buying the cars from that 99% who don’t like, it will be utterly foolishness on his part to not listen to what people want. Had they gone with a different grill on that M4 or an M3, am sure, these would have been on a wait list by now.

As an owner of multiple BMWs, I can safely say, am not going to even consider this car just because of the way it looks. If the manufacturer think that they don’t bother about the feedback, good luck.

To me, they just missed an opportunity with an otherwise competent vehicle.

Some relevant comments by this guy- thebmw

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4#post27190244

Last edited by Turbanator : 3rd February 2021 at 21:27.
Turbanator is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 09:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone

Admirable that the designer has dug his heels into the ground and defending his design all the way.

However, it's the Emperor's Clothes in reverse this time, EVERYONE can see that the Emperor is naked, except the man who "designed" his clothes. BMW and Lexus can stick their cars where the sun don't shine (in their warehouse) and admire their creations within.

I loved what BMW did earlier, even the most controversial of Bangle designs were nice compared to today, the E series was their last good design, the F became boring so they did a U-turn with the G and now it's an abomination.

Audi is the best looking today by miles, Merc and BMW look horrible, personally.
Old 5th February 2021, 10:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW design boss: It’s not our goal to please everyone

Its interesting because most of the people who comment dont buy them In India, even people who admire a brand dont buy them.

Bangle's design sold more over the previous year ! But since the cars are mostly seen by the people who dont drive them, they should make them good looking
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks