Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2021, 10:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries

Tiger Woods in hospital after 'major' car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple leg injuries.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES: Golfing champion Tiger Woods
was hospitalized in Los Angeles on Tuesday with severe leg injuries suffered when his car swerved off a road and rolled down a steep hillside, requiring rescue crews to pry him from the wreckage, authorities said. The injuries were not believed to be life-threatening, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva told a news conference hours later, adding that Woods was conscious and "able to communicate" when rescue personnel arrived.

The sheriff said there was no evidence of impairment when Woods was assessed by emergency workers at the scene, and that no blood samples were drawn by investigators after he was rushed by ambulance to the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center.

Sheriff's deputy Carlos Gonzales, who was the first to reach the wreck, described Woods, who was wearing his seatbelt, as "calm and lucid," and said he recognized the golfing great after Woods told the officer his name was "Tiger."

The full nature and extent of Woods' injuries remained unknown, and it was not immediately clear what effect the accident might have on the future of his career.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/81181012.cms

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 24th February 2021 at 10:54.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 11:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries

Not sure whats wrong with the guy. Looks like he was going at high speed and the vehicle rolled down from highway after getting into the oncoming lane.

The Genesis seems to have taken it well in spite of such rollover. Guess he is out of competition for some time now.
Old 24th February 2021, 14:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries

Here is a video of the news coverage of the crash.

An official update on his Twitter account:
Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries-tigerwoods-update.jpg
blackwasp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:52   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries

Hope he gets well soon .

Man has had more than his share of incidents with cars. Everyone knows about the famous Escalade accident. Then, there was the time he was completely disoriented, high on medicines / drugs and by the roadside in his Mercedes S65 AMG.

Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries-21022317001003tigerwoodsaccidentexlarge169.jpg

Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries-21022401410605tigerwoodsaccidentexlarge169.jpg
Source
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 16:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries-tiger.png

It seems he was driving that vehicle as a part of promoting the brand or something. Hope he recovers soon It seems his luck with cars is not very good. I recall the incident in which he hit a tree or something with his Escalade. There was another DUI too sometime back.
https://nypost.com/2021/02/23/tiger-...nts-explained/

Genesis is a little known brand in India and I had commented the same on a thread on Team-Bhp regarding spotting of a 2021 Genesis G 80. The timing is a bit unfortunate too.
Source: https://indianexpress.com/article/ex...s-car-7202656/

Last edited by TrackDay : 24th February 2021 at 17:18.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 17:01   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
It seems he was driving that vehicle as a part of promoting the brand or something. Hope he recovers soon It seems his luck with cars is not very good. I recall the incident in which he hit a tree or something with his Escalade. There was another DUI too sometime back.
Tiger was hosting his annual tournament the Genesis Invitational. That's why he had the loaner Genesis with him.

That hit in the Escalade was what led to his downfall a years ago.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 17:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

The Genesis SUV was a loaner as part of a promotion deal. The cops mentioned that the particular stretch of road had an history of accidents. I suspect he was exploiting the car, just like many drivers do with Zoom cars in India.

Anyways, wishing him a speed recovery!
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 21:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

This guy has the aim of a sniper and the arm precision of a surgeon but when he drives he forgets those abilities fully it would appear.

This is one hole in one he'd wish he'd never done.

It's going to be doubtful if he can return this year, but the man has not much left to prove either. Lets just hope he retires from driving first.
dark.knight is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 11:05   #9
BHPian

All I can say is, he's lucky he was in a Genesis. Had it been like one of those Indian Bollywood stars promoting a Maruti, it could have been alot worse! Speaking of which, Maruti seeing this will probably now never give its cars for such events cause we all know how much they care about the life of a celebrity with their rock solid build quality

Jokes aside, The GV80 took it like a champ according to me. The crumple zones did its job and all airbags seem to have deployed, and most of all, the Tiger is alive! Phew*

Starfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 19:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
This guy has the aim of a sniper and the arm precision of a surgeon but when he drives he forgets those abilities fully it would appear.

This is one hole in one he'd wish he'd never done.

It's going to be doubtful if he can return this year, but the man has not much left to prove either. Lets just hope he retires from driving first.
May be he forgets his car is much wider and heavier than the golf ball. Jokes apart, sad to hear this and wish a very speedy recovery.
d2krish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 23:15   #11
BHPian

As soon as I heard about this I immediately thought back to a fantastic piece on ESPN from a decade or so ago

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...rl-woods-death

I highly recommend it, if not only for adding more context to how this former sporting titan's life collapsed around him. We're all familiar with his extra marital offences but turns out he was just going down the same path as his late father in terms of those frequent missteps. The craziest bit is Tiger's obsession with trying to emulate his dad's military special forces background - culminating in him trying to pretend to be a Navy SEAL! He would regularly fly to their base and do the sky diving training and mock combat drills. His agent was shocked to find out that Tiger was doing 10k runs in combat boots! Hardly what his coaching staff would like him to be doing but all this has as much to do with the total deterioration of his back to the point his golfing career is but a shadow of its former self.

Given his self destructive tendencies, while I wish him well of course, I'm curious to find out the cause of this most recent crash in the coming months.
Old 28th February 2021, 12:52   #12
BHPian

I was living in Torrance and have driven on this road many a time (Palos Verdes section of Hawthorne Blvd). Everything about this accident that is attributed to the road is bogus. He just doesnt know how to drive a car.
bsdbsd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 14:35   #13
Senior - BHPian

Tiger Woods in hospital after major car crash, undergoes surgery for multiple injuries-tiger.jpg
Quote:
My course is coming along faster than I am 😃. But it’s nice to have a faithful rehab partner, man’s best friend.

Seems like Tiger is back on the course again, though with crutches and his right leg in a brace. He is also happy to have a dog by his side. Meanwhile the cause of his crash has been found out as per the investigation, but cant be released citing his privacy concerns and would need his permission to release the same.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/s...stigation.html
https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSt...eveal-76796020
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks