Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 13:28   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Ford's new warning alert system so you don't forget your kids / pets / valuables on the back seat

This new "Rear Occupant Alert" technology being ushered in by Ford Motors will send visual alerts on the central display for ten seconds followed by a voice alert to sensitise the driver about a either a kid or a pet who could face discomfort or some valuables left on the back seat, that could be theft prone. The alert signal is visible as soon as the car stops and its ignition key is turned off.

A video demonstrating about the device :-

Such a technology has already been introduced by a few car makers. However there are limitations as under:-

Quote:

REAR OCCUPANT ALERT SYSTEM LIMITATIONS

The system does not detect the presence of objects or passengers in the rear seat. It monitors when rear doors are opened and closed.

Note: It is possible to receive an alert when there is no rear seat occupant, but alert conditions are met.

Note: It is possible to receive no alert when there is an occupant in the rear seat, if alert conditions are not met. For example, if a rear seat occupant does not enter the vehicle through a rear door.

Note: The audible warning does not sound when the front door is opened before you switch the ignition off.
The new technology now currently available in Europe, links the alert signal with the opening of the rear door at the start of the journey. At the Ford weather facility in Cologne, Germany, an "Ice Baby" and an "Ice Dog" were sculpted and when artificial simulation raised the outside temperature to 35 deg, the car's interior touched 50 deg Celsius.

Introduced during the summer season in Europe, the technology would be beneficial for car owners. As an upgrade, this technology needs to also be linked with the mobile phone of the driver, for cautions and alerts. The report however doesn't mention about activation of the device during traffic jams, when many switch off the ignition to soon recommence the onward journey.

Also we hope Ford India will soon usher in this technology in India, where its summer like weather for at least 8 months a year, in many locations.

Full news on the link:-

https://auto.hindustantimes.com/auto...506923814.html

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th June 2021 at 13:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 07:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ford's new warning alert system so you don't forget your kids / pets / valuables on the back sea

Good feature, especially since it is probably using existing hardware already in the car (i.e. rear seat sensors for seatbelt and warning chimes). It is quite sad but the fact is, there are lots of careless people out there who leave behind their children in the car (Safety Video: Don't leave children behind in a parked car!) (some even forgetting about them!!). Also apt for valuables - leaving a bag fully visible on the backseat is just asking for a theft + resultant broken window (best place for that bag is the boot).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
This new "Rear Occupant Alert" technology being ushered in by Ford Motors will send visual alerts on the central display for ten seconds followed by a voice alert
10 seconds is too much. Many drivers will be out of the car by then. Should make it immediate, upon switching off the ignition.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 08:29   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford's new warning alert system so you don't forget your kids / pets / valuables on the back sea

Very interesting technology. If implemented well this will be quite useful.

I don't forget people in the backseat () but I have forgotten shopping bags in the backseat on more than one occasion. This technology could be useful for such things too.

However, my biggest concern in any such "Detection" technologies is the accuracy. Even with the state-of-the-art, such technologies are not 100% accurate. They will give some false positives (false alarms), and those become very annoying. The way human nature is, even if the false positive rate is only 5%, (in other words, it gives me 5 false alarms in 100 occasions), I may still get annoyed by that and don't remember the other 95 times it got it right. Most such systems usually become bothersome due to these false alarms.

I hope Ford has figured out the way to make it accurate enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The new technology now currently available in Europe, links the alert signal with the opening of the rear door at the start of the journey.
This is what makes me a bit suspicious about false alarms. I may not open the read door to keep some valuables in the rear seat (may just drop it there form the driver's seat), or may open it multiple times to check something at the beginning. Opening of a rear door is only a very vague indicator of what is present on the back seat.

Anyways, I am sure Ford has though this through. Very interesting thing and let us see how this works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
10 seconds is too much. Many drivers will be out of the car by then. Should make it immediate, upon switching off the ignition.
I do not think the alert starts after 10 second. I think what is meant is that the alert starts immediately after you switch off the ignition, but stays ON for 10 seconds further.

Last edited by Dr.AD : 29th June 2021 at 08:46.
Dr.AD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 08:44   #4
BHPian

One way to detect things on the backside is to have cameras on B Pillar or Front Seat Headrest facing the back seat. As soon as the car is switched off, the front display should show images from the cameras for a few seconds before going blank. This will help the driver to check the back before leaving.
CarNerd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 09:02   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

My 2011 VW Vento has an alert (Sounds Horn) when the doors are closed and locked and movement is detected inside, after 30 seconds. You can manually disable it, while stepping outside if you want.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, humans have come to a stage where a car has to warn them about a kid in the rear seat. I understand technology for all other reasons, but for this? You can't leave a kid in the car, even if it for a few minutes. If a person forgets about a kid in the backseat, what is he/she even doing? Sure can't be driving with such carelessness.
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2021, 10:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

C'mon did anybody forget their kids or pets in the backseat? This feature is a solution looking for a problem. If you open the rear door once, make sure you open it again to trick the alarm into believing something went in & then out.

Last edited by msdivy : 29th June 2021 at 10:17.
Old 29th June 2021, 11:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Much appreciated feature , but we must not rely completely on such options to be reminded about a life. Sadly this is happening more than ever and I see why such features are coming into existence. Also in the rarest of rarest cases, we human are capable of errors and such life saving features are welcome. On a similar line I appreciate the dog/pet mode in Tesla where one has to go places where pets are not allowed.

Last edited by TrackDay : 29th June 2021 at 11:33.
TrackDay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:38   #9
Senior - BHPian

TBH, nothing groundbreaking. Saw this on a video review of a Toyota Highlander.

People (in America) have become extremely forgetful. :thumbs-down

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
C'mon did anybody forget their kids or pets in the backseat?
You won't believe how forgetful Americans are.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 4th July 2021 at 11:39.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 20:51   #10
BHPian

Though a good feature by Ford Europe, why do people need a reminder to remember to take their child(ren) or pet out of the car. That's something which needs to be done as an involuntary action. It's another living thing, period!
jithin23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 17:04   #11
BHPian

How much technology does a dumb person require? Are you driving a large bus that you couldn't know if you left your child or a pet or bags on the rear seat? If you are habitually that careless, you possibly shouldn't have a child or a pet anyways.
How many things should your car take care for you? You need a fatigue alert, a lane keep assist, all sorts of sensors a 360 degree camera, a seatbelt reminder, door open reminder etc? Should the cars now do some kind of rapid scan of the driver's IQ as soon as he/she occupies the driver seat and flash a moron alert?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks