Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2021, 14:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Canada: Increasing dimensions of pickup truck creating a hazard for others

Pickup trucks are extremely popular in countries like Canada and the USA. Pickup trucks serve multiple purposes from transporting cargo to towing trailers across long distances. However, over the years, their size and overall dimensions have increased significantly. According to a media report, over the past two decades, the size of pickup trucks has increased by 11 per cent. They have also become 24 per cent heavier on average.

Canada: Increasing dimensions of pickup truck creating a hazard for others-fordf150pickup.jpeg

Now, reports are suggesting that the increase in sizes of these vehicles are creating a hazard for other vehicles on the road, as well as pedestrians. According to gathered data, these large pickup trucks have front and rear blind spots compared to earlier models. These blind spots can easily hide a pedestrian from the view of the driver and create a safety concern.

Data also shows that the tall front-end of a pickup truck is more likely to cause serious injuries to a pedestrian, compared to the bumpers from a lower vehicle. Trucks are also more likely to push a pedestrian and run them over.

Source: CTVnews

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 28th July 2021 at 14:05.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2021, 14:45   #2

Re: Canada: Increasing dimensions of pickup truck creating a hazard for others

I used to drive a Dodge Ram 1500.

It was a base model - I, for sure, would have loved a blind spot monitor and rear cross traffic alert system on it!

It did help blend in when you lived in the country side though!

But I never felt I would have inconvenienced another car just by the sheer size of my truck, nor did I ever felt inconvenienced by any of the even larger trucks on road when i was driving a humble Nissan Sentra!

Pedestrian injury from various vehicle type is an interesting topic. Any links to the study you quoted?

Regards,
MASK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2021, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Canada: Increasing dimensions of pickup truck creating a hazard for others

Here's the study by Consumer Reports, which show how the increasing dimensions of the pickup trucks are causing a hazard to pedestrians and drivers of smaller vehicles.

Link: https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...of-big-trucks/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks