Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th August 2021, 12:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Mercedes-Benz to suspend sales of nearly every V8 model in 2022

Mercedes-Benz USA is said to be suspending the sales of almost every V8-powered model in its line-up for 2022.

According to a media report, sales of as many as 17 models powered by the brand's 4.0-litre twin-turbo V8 engine will be suspended. These include 13 AMG 63 models, 3 regular Benz 550 and 580 trims and one Maybach trim as well.

USA: Mercedes-Benz to suspend sales of nearly every V8 model in 2022-mercedesbenzgclass.jpg

Reports suggest that the reason for the suspension in sales is said to be because of a number of factors, including but not limited to supply chain issues in the US market.

It further mentions that customers who have already ordered the MY2022 versions of the affected models will also most likely face cancellation of their vehicle booking.

Mercedes-Benz dealers in the USA are said to have confirmed the update, although the carmaker is yet to make an official announcement regarding the same.

Source: Jalopnik

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 17th August 2021 at 12:58.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 13:37   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: USA: Mercedes-Benz to suspend sales of nearly every V8 model in 2022

Wow, G- wagon is what will be hit most. With crazy delivery times and premium over MSRP, I think existing owners are going to make most.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 16:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the weirdest development I've heard of in the automotive industry, so much so that it almost feels like an April fools joke. The reasons they gave are so vague and the best-selling Mercedes G class will no longer be sold in the US since I believe it only comes with V8 engines (except the in-line 6 diesel in Europe). The AMG 63 line which are sold with huge margins will be annihilated giving a free reign to BMW M and Audi RS.

I strongly believe this has something to do with the emission norms in the US but strange none-the-less.
Old 17th August 2021, 16:30   #4
BHPian

They might be replacing the normal V8's with the hybrid V8's.
Old 17th August 2021, 18:29   #5
BHPian

I would like to wait for an official confirmation from Mercedes USA. This news would be a major blow if it turns out to be true. Mercedes without the G 63 AMG is basically losing an entirely unique identity built carefully over the years, which undoubtedly has one of the largest cult following in the world at the moment. Even the other AMG V8 models carry with them an identity which can't be easily done away with. And to add to all of that, Mercedes is the first carmaker to cite "supply chain" issues specifically for the V8 engines. So let's wait for other manufacturers as well to cite the same reason.
Old 17th August 2021, 19:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Smoke View Post
I would like to wait for an official confirmation from Mercedes USA. This news would be a major blow if it turns out to be true. Mercedes without the G 63 AMG is basically losing an entirely unique identity built carefully over the years, which undoubtedly has one of the largest cult following in the world at the moment.
I think, this news has emissions control written all over it.

My hunch is that, they might replace the v8s with equivalent Electric Propulsion.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2021, 19:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I think, this news has emissions control written all over it.

My hunch is that, they might replace the v8s with equivalent Electric Propulsion.
Exactly my thoughts. That's why I'm waiting for an official confirmation from Mercedes USA. At the very least, I don't expect Mercedes to lie. The theory of "supply chain issues" specifically for V8 engines is unpalatable.
Old 23rd September 2021, 19:42   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Mercedes canceling V8s due to Quality Issues, Not Supply - AMG Boss Says

Mercedes killing off nearly all of its V8 models in the US came as a shock when news broke about the decision last month.

USA: Mercedes-Benz to suspend sales of nearly every V8 model in 2022-smartselect_20210923194453_chrome.jpg

Quote:
AMG boss Philipp Scheimer says “I cannot provide you with more details. It’s a quality issue. We are updating our vehicles every year, and we are not satisfied with the quality. And for us it’s quality first. So we have to do some retesting and this is the process we are in at the moment. So it depends from model to model," Schiemer said, noting that the V-8 S580 was still being offered in the U.S. “So it’s from vehicle to vehicle, from country to country a different kind of situation.”
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 23rd September 2021 at 19:45.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks