Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 10:36   #1
BHPian

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed

Quote:
Every 2022 WRX is equipped with a 2.4-liter turbocharged horizontally opposed four-cylinder engine that develops a peak 271 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. That's 3 more horsepower and no more torque than the model's outgoing 2.0-liter boxer engine. But with bigger pistons and an improved turbo system outfitted with an electronically controlled wastegate and air bypass valves, Subaru says the WRX's new engine is more responsive and produces a broader torque curve. (We expect slightly better acceleration numbers than those we recorded during our most recent test of a WRX, which yielded a 0-60-mph time of 5.6 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 14.0 seconds at 98.7 mph.)

A six-speed manual gearbox is standard and is by far the larger seller, according to Subaru (that goes for the BRZ, too). Buyers can also opt for what the automaker is calling the Subaru Performance Transmission (SPT), a heavily revised gearbox that nevertheless is still a CVT like the Lineartronic it replaces. The SPT is standard on the WRX's new GT trim and comes with its own oil cooler, and is said to deliver significantly quicker up- and downshifts through its software-enabled, automatic-transmission-aping stepped ratios. All-wheel drive and active torque vectoring are also standard, like always, and base models come outfitted in 235-width summer performance tires; higher trims get meatier 245s.

The sedan's track-tuned suspension features a longer stroke that reportedly gives the new WRX greater stability and lateral grip. It also increases ground clearance by 0.5 inch over the outgoing WRX. Body roll is allegedly negated by a new rear anti-roll setup that mounts directly to the car's body instead of its subframe. Ventilated disc brakes now occupy all four corners rather than merely the fronts, to better manage temperatures and help prevent fade.

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-2022subaruwrxfirstlook41.jpg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-2022subaruwrxfirstlook37.jpg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-2022subaruwrxfirstlook2.jpg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-2022subaruwrxfirstlook53.jpg

For More:
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022...t-look-review/
Eshan Joshi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 13:34   #2
BHPian

re: 5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed

Subaru continues their "tradition" of ugly, mish-mash designs. They claim this to be an all-new car, but it looks just like a facelift of the dated current WRX. The rear looks like a Civic.

CVT on a performance car?! They could have put a double-clutch auto in this halo car - possibly may have had a very limited budget.

With new gen Golf GTI prices skyrocketing, unfortunately, this also will be hit with a big increase in price. The pricing of the new Hyundai Elantra N vis a vis WRX sedan will be critical to its success.

Last edited by LTAutoMad : 12th September 2021 at 13:37.
LTAutoMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 07:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTAutoMad View Post
Subaru continues their "tradition" of ugly, mish-mash designs. They claim this to be an all-new car, but it looks just like a facelift of the dated current WRX. The rear looks like a Civic.

CVT on a performance car?! They could have put a double-clutch auto in this halo car - possibly may have had a very limited budget.

With new gen Golf GTI prices skyrocketing, unfortunately, this also will be hit with a big increase in price. The pricing of the new Hyundai Elantra N vis a vis WRX sedan will be critical to its success.
Thanks to Subaru it is a meme fest out there! They've mixed crossover looks with that of a performance sedan and it is horrible.

Crossover buyers have the Outback or the XV so it is weird why they did this to the WRX. I hope they take the backlash seriously and do something before the actual deliveries. I'd expect them to offer the option to have some of those plastics in body colour.

The bigger disappointment is the negligible change in power output. Pretty much everyone else has joined the bhp race and Subaru refuses to join that race for twenty years now!! It stings when cars like the Hyundai i30N and Kona N have slightly higher bhp.

From an engineering perspective, the car is new and improved. It is based on the US$1B Subaru Global Platform (SGP) to begin with. There's a bunch of numbers that Subaru is throwing around on how they have improved torsional rigidity and such but those are left to be judged after driving the car.

The Subaru Outback which is also based on the SGP got record ANCAP scores and is Australia's safest car. So I guess it is proven to be better from a safety perspective.

Subaru does not have the money to develop and support a Dual-clutch automatic. The i30N got a DCT almost four years after the i30N manual was launched. It is a complicated piece of machinery.

The WRX retains its value very well and due to the current supply issues a 2016 WRX has only lost ~30% of its value in five years. Current WRX owners will lose very little (relative to other brands) if they choose to upgrade to the 2022 WRX. So yeah, after all the criticisms, the fans would still go and buy one. lol.

I mean, have you ever seen a mainstream carmaker call their car a "high-performing investment"?
Name:  WRX.PNG
Views: 792
Size:  202.9 KB
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 12:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
The WRX retains its value very well and due to the current supply issues a 2016 WRX has only lost ~30% of its value in five years. Current WRX owners will lose very little (relative to other brands) if they choose to upgrade to the 2022 WRX. So yeah, after all the criticisms, the fans would still go and buy one. lol.

I mean, have you ever seen a mainstream carmaker call their car a "high-performing investment"?
Mitsubishi literally handed them the platter when they discontinued the Evo. Which other Japanese manufacturer has a sporty 4 door sedan?

The number of people considering a WRX in their purchase decisions is proof enough of the pent up demand in the used car market.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2022, 07:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Pricing announced in the USA.

Name:  SubaruUSMediaCenterchart02172022.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  184.0 KB

https://media.subaru.com/pressreleas...l-new-2022-wrx
Old 20th February 2022, 08:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Price jump of $1500 over 2021 model base WRX. This is a great pricing regardless of controversial looks.

But that price is not going to matter in real life. With current situation, the dealer mark-up is going to be insane. Used 20-21 models themselves are going for 30k~.

VW GTI is expensive but WRX has these looks plus equipment level and interiors (traditional weak point) so it is a toss up. The WRX has all important AWD though against GTI's FWD. Real conundrum for someone in the market.

Some less popular and unconventional options like Mazda 3 turbo AWD, Hyundai Veloster N, Elantra N are all more expensive than WRX. Not to mention most reviewers have said that WRX simply drives better than competition and don't just go by the looks or absolute power figures.
Old 12th March 2022, 15:09   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...his-generation

Subaru on Friday announced that the current-generation Subaru WRX won't get a higher-performance STI model for this generation.

"The reason? The company is examining how "future sports and performance cars should evolve to meet the needs of the changing marketplace and the regulations and requirements for greenhouse gasses (GHG), zero emissions vehicles (ZEV), and Corporate Average Fuel Economy," Subaru said in a statement.

As part of that shift, the next STI won't come off the platform of the latest WRX, which just arrived earlier this year."

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-7ec58cd355e14b95b12f7cbe2c515930.jpeg

Some thought that Subaru will fix the 2023 WRX's looks with the STI version and Subaru axes the STI itself!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post

Still hopeful of a much better looking STi.

Subaru's legacy and consistency in letting down fans is unmatched in the industry.

P.S: WRX STI values are going to shoot through the roof.

Last edited by kiku007 : 12th March 2022 at 15:10.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 07:39   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Subaru on Friday announced that the current-generation Subaru WRX won't get a higher-performance STI model for this generation.
Sad news indeed. Hard to say if the STi was never in the works, or something they just decided not to do.

Quote:
Subaru's legacy and consistency in letting down fans is unmatched in the industry.
No way! On a global level this prize goes to Mitsubishi.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2022, 06:15   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sad news indeed. Hard to say if the STi was never in the works, or something they just decided not to do.
Speculation is that they were working on the STI and decided to give up just now. It was very much out of character for Subaru to just send a press release on a Friday afternoon to announce this.

The 300BHP GR Corolla may hog the limelight later this year. Toyota after all has a stake in Subaru.

Quote:
No way! On a global level this prize goes to Mitsubishi.
I agree. It does hurt when investors pour billions into EV startups that make billions in losses (Rivian) while established automakers have to bury legendary nameplates sighting lack of funds.
Old 17th March 2022, 01:49   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Have to say the STI was a bit of a dinosaur in the current market. A 2.5L turbo charged engine giving 18mpg?

Quote:
P.S: WRX STI values are going to shoot through the roof.
So, shall I hold on to my 2021 STI when the lease expires?
Old 17th March 2022, 07:52   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Have to say the STI was a bit of a dinosaur in the current market. A 2.5L turbo charged engine giving 18mpg?
+1

We are staring at the beginning of the end of the petrol-powered performance car.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a3...e-short-lived/

"If we designed [a new STI] now, it would have a very limited shelf life,” Subaru Director of Corporate Communications Dominick Infante said. "The regulations are changing so quickly that it kind of wouldn’t make any sense."

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/o...e-car-is-dead/

"If you’re looking at a new WRX but can’t get over its meagre performance gains (or crossover-like styling), just pull the trigger on it – it might just be the last petrol-driven 'Rex of its kind.

And if you’re one of the lucky few to snap up one of the last WRX STIs ever sold in Australia, including the now rather fittingly named ‘EJ25 Final Edition’... I salute you."

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
So, shall I hold on to my 2021 STI when the lease expires?
If that's what you want.
Old 2nd April 2022, 11:23   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX preview

Some pictures from the 2022 WRX preview event for the WRX Club of QLD. Test drives haven't started here as yet and hence I didn't get to experience the car the way it deserves to be.

This is literally the swan song of the ICE powered WRX since I'm certain the next generation will be powered by an electric or hybrid powertrain. So I do look forward to driving it.

From a looks perspective, its a letdown. The quality of some of the interior materials have improved but nowhere near VW Golf Mk7 territory. Ironically the Mk8 Golf got flak for not so good interior quality.

Probably the best shot I could get was this.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1943.jpeg

Familiar family face.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1956.jpeg

The rear bumper is hideous and extends so far out. It just doesn't make any sense.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1941.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1931.jpeg

The new engine:
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1944.jpeg

Interiors.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1934.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1937.jpeg

A nicely done STI.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1959.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1945.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1949.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1946.jpeg

The real deal rally WRX.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1962.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1963.jpeg

The rare SVX.
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1952.jpeg
5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_1955.jpeg

Last edited by kiku007 : 2nd April 2022 at 11:40.
kiku007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2022, 06:14   #13
Team-BHP Support

That rear bumper is hideous, no two ways about it!
Atleast in a darker color you can still live with the cladding and overdone front bumper.
Old 12th May 2022, 03:57   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
That rear bumper is hideous, no two ways about it!
Atleast in a darker color you can still live with the cladding and overdone front bumper.
A mob on Instagram called AeroFlow Dynamics have done just this, and gone about taking various modifications to make the WRX look a lot more appealing than in stock form.

Exterior modifications done:
  • Painting the wheel arch claddings
  • Modifying and painting the rear bumper to reduce the visual black plastic bulk
  • Added side skirts
  • Lowered height
  • New alloys

Just the body coloured wheel arches and bumper mods have helped make the car a lot more palatable visually.

Side claddings in body colour + side skirts + lowered
Name:  WRX1 2.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  99.0 KB

With rear bumper strategically painted
Name:  WRX 2.jpg
Views: 369
Size:  94.3 KB
Old 10th June 2022, 16:34   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

2022 WRX tS CVT Test Drive

Don’t judge a book by its cover.

That’s so true with the new WRX. Back in April I had a look at the car in person and felt disappointed with the looks.

I drove the WRX (tS/Top spec CVT) and as the owner of a 2016 WRX CVT these are my views,
  1. The new powertrain felt like it had a more broader power range and torquey. It’s not a generational leap in outright performance but more refined and accessible power.
  2. The handling was better and the adjustable dampers help. In comfort mode the ride wasn’t harsh at all.
  3. The steering was a let down. the 2016 one has better feel.
  4. NVH was great. However, the engine and exhaust is so muted that you’d want to have an aftermarket exhaust.
  5. The CVT tries to mimic gear changes and I didn’t find it that engaging during my drive. May be it’ll be fine over time.
  6. Better (still not great) interiors.
  7. The tablet sized infotainment screen is not the best. The video camera quality was better than Hyundai.
  8. You don’t have to look at the exteriors when you are inside and that’s a positive.
  9. I think it’s pricey but what else is not pricey these days.
  10. Previous/Current WRX owners would feel absolutely at home in the new one and I hope they come with revised fenders and rear bumper in the next facelift.
  11. The OEM alloy wheels don’t look special.
As I was leaving the dealer, I saw a family getting down from their Subaru Liberty and organising for fitting their Child seat in the brand new WRX in World Rally Blue that they were taking delivery. I think that’s what the WRX is about. It lets us have all the fun and yet be able to transport our family in safety and comfort.

The 2022 WRX is grown up. Over the years they kept toning down the boy racer traits and with the last ICE iteration, I think it is more of a stealth AWD performance sedan that wants to appeal to a more wider and mature audience.

It breaks my heart that people will be talking more about how bad the car looks than how much better it is (vs. the previous generation) in almost every other way.

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_0670.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_0665.jpeg

5th-gen 2022 Subaru WRX revealed-img_0664.jpeg

Expert views available in the following videos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks