Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2021, 03:06   #1
BHPian

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year

Mod Note: Our 2022 Range Rover report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Unveiled!!

Looks ultra sleek to me. Luxury quotient goes several notches higher, from the exterior flush looks and paint tones alone. However, the theatrics of the rotary shifter shall be missed. They were an identity of the Range Rovers.

Official Sneak peak :

Smaller video:

Detailed Longer Video:

Carwow initial review:

More such:

Last edited by Aditya : 26th August 2022 at 14:10. Reason: Link to preview added
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Range Rover spotted testing; could get BMW V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Unveiled!!

Looks ultra sleek to me. Luxury quotient goes several notches higher, from the exterior flush looks and paint tones alone. However, the theatrics of the rotary shifter shall be missed. They were an identity of the Range Rovers.
Initially, when I saw the spyshots, I was a little bit disappointed as it seemed very similar to the current gen RR but with a strange back and generic interior. But looking at the videos, I must say, the new RR looks gorgeous! Sorry, Chic is the right word! Absolutely love it!

Unfortunately, my ex-boss who just got a new Range Rover Vogue two months back would be disappointed
dragracer567 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 11:23   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Range Rover spotted testing; could get BMW V8

2022 Range Rover, Land Rover's most luxurious SUV has been revealed.

The fifth generation Range Rover SUV which now comes with a new look, new engine options and loaded with new technology.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-99landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimageslead.jpg

Based on the carmaker's new MLA Flex platform, which brings 50% more torsional stiffness and 24% less structure-borne noise than the underpinnings of the outgoing Range Rover

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-20222023rangeroversuv86.jpg

The Range Rover’s distinctive silhouette remains fundamentally intact, The front gets a new grille, lower air intake and new LED headlamps.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-82landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimageslwbside.jpg

The most obvious differentiator is the addition of a sizeable gloss black panel at the rear, incorporating vertical brake lights at the side and indicators in a bar across the top, all of which are invisible when not in use.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-97landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimagesrear.jpg

The split-folding tailgate continues to operate as before, a new movable panel in the boot floor (which conceals a hidden load space) can be folded up to serve as a backrest, turning the tailgate into a two-person bench, complete with drinks holders in the base.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-78landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimagesboot.jpg

The luxury SUV is available in standard and long wheelbase forms. The shorter version is 5052 mm long, 2047 mm wide, 1870 mm tall and has a wheelbase of 2997 mm.

The long wheelbase model is 5252 mm long, 2048 mm wide, 1870 mm tall and has a 3197 mm wheelbase.

Name:  1rr_22my_14_swb_lwb_261021_119_.jpg
Views: 1369
Size:  27.2 KB

Inside, a new 13.1in infotainment screen, which appears to float above the surface of the dashboard, hosts most of the primary controls and functions. It runs the latest generation of Land Rover’s Pivi Pro operating system.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-93landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimagesdashboard.jpg

A new 13.7in high-definition driver display and uprated head-up display also feature, while in the back a pair of 11.4in touchscreens and an 8.0in touch control panel are provided for passengers

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-89landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimagesoffroadmodes.jpg

Long wheelbase had the option of seven seats for the first time.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-20211027_104957.jpg

The new Range Rover will be available with a range of six and eight-cylinder power units.

Specifically, there will be two plug-in hybrids P440e and P510e, three petrol (P360, P400 and P530) and three diesel (D250, D300, D350).

Both diesel and petrol engines are paired with the 48 Volt lightweight hybrid system, and all powertrains are paired with an eight-speed ZF automatic gearbox with a low-range setting for towing and low-speed off-road driving.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-77landroverrangerover2021officialrevealimagesphev.jpg

The P360 is paired with a 360 hp 3-litre 6-cylinder that can produce 500 Nm of torque.

The P400 , also equipped with the 3-litre engine, can churn out 400 hp and 550 Nm of torque.

The P530 has a 4.4-litre V8 engine with 530 hp of power and 750 Nm of peak torque.

The 3-litre diesel engines, In the D250 it produces 249 hp and 600 Nm.

In the D300 it produces 300 hp and 650 Nm and In the D350 it produces 350 hp and 700 Nm.

Off-road ability retained with Defender-matching 900mm water wading. A 48V-powered anti-roll system prevents excessive body roll under hard cornering.

New Range Rover is available in three trims SE, HSE, Autobiography.

The top-level Range Rover SV, developed by Land Rover’s in-house Special Vehicle Operations division, is offered with a choice of four or five ‘executive class’ seats in both standard and long-wheelbase forms.

The SV features 23in wheels, the largest yet fitted to a Range Rover, and has the option of a dualtone interior, with front and rear seats finished in different colours and materials.

Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 27th October 2021 at 11:48.
Venkatesh is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 11:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year

Land Rover has officially unveiled the fifth generation of its Range Rover premium SUV. The 2022 Range Rover now comes underpinned by a new platform (MLA-Flex), along with an updated design and a bunch of powertrain options.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-2022rangeroverunveil-1.jpg

The 2022 Range Rover carries forward the clean and minimalistic look from the older model. However, the SUV does come with a bunch of upgrades, including a new set of sharper-looking LED headlamps, a completely redesigned LED taillight, newly designed alloy wheels ranging from 20 to 23-inches, a split tailgate and a floating roof thanks to the blacked-out pillars.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-2022rangeroverunveil-3.jpg

On the inside, the 2022 Range Rover can now be had either with a standard 5-seat configuration or the long-wheelbase version with 7-seats. The fifth-gen model is the first Range Rover to offer a third-row of seats. To incorporate the additional seats, the LWB version of the Range Rover is 200 mm longer than the standard car.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-2022rangeroverunveil-4.jpg

Apart from the additional seats, the 2022 Range Rover also gets a 13.1-inch curved touchscreen infotainment system at the central console. It features the brand's latest Pivi Pro system, along with a bunch of other controls and connected technology, including Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. The SUV can also be had with a pair of 11.4-inch touchscreen tablets mounted on the front seatbacks for the rear passengers.

Being a Land Rover, the 5th-gen Range Rover also comes with all the off-roading capabilities. These include the Terrain Response 2, along with a bunch of off and on-road driver assistance systems.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-2022rangeroverunveil-2.jpg

Powering the 2022 Range Rover is a choice of three engines, all of which are mated to an automatic transmission. The first is a 3.0-litre in-line 6-cylinder turbo-petrol unit paired with a 48V hybrid system, producing 395 BHP and 550 Nm. The SUV also comes with a 3.0-litre V6 diesel unit (for the European market), which produces either 296 BHP or 345 BHP, depending on the variant.

The range-topping model is offered with a 4.4-litre twin-turbocharged V8 engine borrowed from BMW, producing 523 BHP and 749 Nm.

Land Rover also confirmed that they will introduce a PHEV version of the 2022 Range Rover in 2023, while a fully electric version is scheduled to arrive in 2024.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 27th October 2021 at 11:38.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:04   #5
BHPian

Re: 2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year

Interior looks good. The outside is a bit strange. Not sure how I feel about the front bumper, but the grill looks really good.
The rear looks really bad to me. I see what they are trying to do with the integrated and flowing taillights but they look very weird. The bottom part of the tailgate looks like it wasn't fit properly. I get that the lower flap opens up but I feel like it could have been designed better.

The seamless transition of the various pillars and windows looks good.
Old 27th October 2021, 13:22   #6
Senior - BHPian

Love it. Inside & Outside. Will need to keep this on my watch out list in the used car market in 2023. This is very desirable.
it clearly has a love it/hate it appeal to it but then, I'm sure it is checking all the right boxes for the high-rollers and will, no doubt, be a success.
I'd choose the PHEV though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
Love it. Inside & Outside. Will need to keep this on my watch out list in the used car market in 2023. This is very desirable.
it clearly has a love it/hate it appeal to it but then, I'm sure it is checking all the right boxes for the high-rollers and will, no doubt, be a success.
I'd choose the PHEV though.

Checked out the configurator and spec'd it.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-rr1.jpg

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-rr2.jpg

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-rr3.jpg

For some weird reason, I could never get pricing for Finland. While I did promise myself that I won't change my car and drive my KIA Sorento till it chooses to go to its grave, I am now getting too enamored by the 2022 RR.
Spent half a day looking at this closely.

PS: Mods - you can merge with previous post if you think it is necessary.

Last edited by ajmat : 27th October 2021 at 20:05.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 14:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year

It's nice but not great. While a part of me likes that they are sticking to the basics and not fixing what's not broken. The other half feels, they are playing it too safe for their own good this time. There is a good chance this starts looking very dated inside and out (besides perhaps the rear) by the time it's due for another generational change a decade down the line.

The front end and sides are near identical to the current one, they could have made a little more effort there. While the dash looks just about up to date today, it is no where near as futurist as the S-class. The latter is the route most are taking and I fear the interiors will feel very dated in the next 3 years itself for the RR.

Having said that, I feel it's high time Tata lives up to it's India pride and get us this as a CKD. Only then can it be a serious contender and not just a bollywood transporter.

Last edited by Sahil : 27th October 2021 at 14:51.
Sahil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

They seem to be melding bland smooth styling with the classic boxy styling that make the Range Rover so distinctive. I miss the 1st gen's styling especially with the bumpers that tapered up and jutted out a bit. I also really like what BMW did with the 3rd generation's styling (it got a little bit chintzier after the company changed hands). I was hoping that the last generation's narrow LED's were just a design fad but the new car seems to lack a certain confidence in design and seems to be going further into the realm of "what everyone else is doing". Too limp and too bling for me to be able to fathom the luxury asking prices. All top luxo barges like Rolls Royces and Bentleys and even a few others have a certain distinct styling this seems neither innovative nor as good as the original.
Old 27th October 2021, 15:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
It's nice but not great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
....Too limp and too bling for me to be able to fathom the luxury asking prices.
so it's just me perhaps. something about this Minimalist design catches my attention where the over-designed aspect of many others loses my attention. I find Volvo's minimalistic Design language too appealing where most call it boring. I guess that's the thing about design.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 15:57   #10
BHPian

The interior is as plush as it should be. However, the exterior is a love it or a hate it design. I personally am not appealed by the rear of the car. The front looks menacing though. A pretty handsome car as always and range rover really did a great job. The EV ones will be very tempting considering the market is moving to EVs and I would like to see how the large luxury off-road car performs with the EV powertrain. For sure this car will be on my wish list as if you want a large luxury off road car, you buy a range rover.
Old 27th October 2021, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
so it's just me perhaps. something about this Minimalist design catches my attention where the over-designed aspect of many others loses my attention.
The grille is too fussy, the U-shaped side slats are too fussy, the back bumper/diffuser situation is too fussy, the rear tail-lamps are a bit too Creta, and what on earth is minimalistic about those two shark fin antennas on the roof? Honestly the only minimalism you're seeing is what little is left over from the core styling that the car has been known in the past for.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 27th October 2021 at 16:35.
Old 27th October 2021, 17:03   #12
Team-BHP Support

I watched the premiere yesterday and I liked the vehicle apart from the narrow rear lights and that protruding screen inside. The double stacked rear lamps have been the trademark of Range Rovers for many years, I believe they could have kept it as they have not changed anything else much. Also I think the inside of the Velar looks better than this.

But I was thoroughly disappointed by the people they had invited for the premiere. They had no idea about cars, no idea about what Land Rover and Range Rover stands for. The anchor was almost prompting them what to say.

The Black one will look very good on the road I believe. This is what I configured -

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-screenshot-20211027-12.29.30.png

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-screenshot-20211027-12.30.32.png

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-screenshot-20211027-12.30.43.png

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-screenshot-20211027-12.32.52.png
BlackPearl is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 19:06   #13
BHPian

That rear looks like a concept car - kudos for them to bring that to production! I like it, its a good evolution of the previous generation while keeping the "Range Rover look" very much alive!
Old 27th October 2021, 20:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
That rear looks like a concept car -
The rear - Land Rover has indeed taken concept design to production. except, the concept was KIA Telluride.

2022 Range Rover globally unveiled; PHEV & EV Powertrains to arrive next year-telluride.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 23:54   #15
BHPian

I agree with some, when I first saw it I was not very impressed.

Saw it again in a video and was pleased. I think the designers have a done a good job.

I just hope they work on their reliability and this is an ace option in its class of vehicle.

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed