Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2022, 17:08   #1
Senior - BHPian

3rd-gen Ford Endeavour launched in Thailand

The new-gen Ford Endeavour (Everest) was unveiled globally earlier this year. Now, the next-gen iteration of the SUV has been launched in Thailand. Available in two variants: Sport & Titanium+, the 2022 Ford Endeavour is offered in Thailand with a starting price of 1.46 million Thai Bhat (equivalent to Rs 33 lakh).

3rd-gen Ford Endeavour launched in Thailand-2022fordendeavour1.jpg

The 2022 Endeavour Sport comes powered by a 2.0-litre turbo-diesel unit. It produces 170 BHP and 405 Nm and is paired with a 6-speed automatic transmission, sending power to the rear wheels. The top-spec 'Titanium+' trim comes with a 2.0-litre bi-turbo diesel engine, producing 210 BHP and 500 Nm. It is paired with a 10-speed automatic and comes with a standard 4x4 system. The Endeavour Titanium+ trim is priced at 1.86 million Thai Bhat (Rs 42.3 lakh).

3rd-gen Ford Endeavour launched in Thailand-2022fordendeavour2.jpg

The 2022 Ford Endeavour comes with a completed refreshed design, both inside and out. Some of the features include LED lighting all around with C-shaped LED daytime running lights at the front, a powered tailgate, new alloy wheels, a digital instrument cluster, a portrait-style touchscreen infotainment system with Apple CarPlay & Android Auto, ventilated & heated front seats, remote start function & more.

The SUV comes with multiple off-road modes & Ford's Terrain Management system. The Endeavour is also said to have a water wading capability of 800 mm and can tow a maximum of 3,500 kg.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 31st March 2022 at 17:10.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 18:07   #2
BHPian

re: 3rd-gen Ford Endeavour launched in Thailand

Interesting how Ford is doing so well in international markets and offering such amazing vehicles but thanks to our current tax structure, government norms and their lack of support, this brand had to exit. It's a pity really seeing such good brands leave the Indian market. I think there is a strong need of LPG once again, otherwise we'll be left with lack of choices and low quality brands like Tata, Mahindra and Hyundai/Kia and that won't be a very good scenario especially for enthusiasts like us.
The Rainmaker is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 18:58   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rainmaker View Post
Interesting how Ford is doing so well in international markets and offering such amazing vehicles but thanks to our current tax structure, government norms and their lack of support, this brand had to exit. It's a pity really seeing such good brands leave the Indian market. I think there is a strong need of LPG once again, otherwise we'll be left with lack of choices and low quality brands like Tata, Mahindra and Hyundai/Kia and that won't be a very good scenario especially for enthusiasts like us.
I believe our country is one of the worst places to buy cars and be an enthusiast. Just look at the NGT rule. Gives a very clear picture of the system's anti-car mindset.
That aside, Ford is at fault too. Not doing any market research or any effort by bringing in new vehicles. Thanks to NGT's vile cancer spreading even to Lucknow, I may never be able to own an Endeavour or a nice old diesel in my life.
vredesbyrd is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:13   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vredesbyrd View Post
I believe our country is one of the worst places to buy cars and be an enthusiast. Just look at the NGT rule. Gives a very clear picture of the system's anti-car mindset.
That aside, Ford is at fault too. Not doing any market research or any effort by bringing in new vehicles. Thanks to NGT's vile cancer spreading even to Lucknow, I may never be able to own an Endeavour or a nice old diesel in my life.
True! One by one they're killing the desires of enthusiasts. Whether it's RC hobby, Photography, or cars. No wonder we lack the innovation or creativity because our government makes sure that we're busy still fighting through the struggles of daily life like water, electricity, and other basic necessities. As they say, "Keep them poor" so that the rich can get richer and 'work closely' (read: bribe) with the government to drive out the competition.

Even if Ford researched more and introduced vehicles on the lines of what Tata, Hyundai etc. are doing that would've only been a compromise and it's better to leave the market than follow the suite by putting truck bodies over hatchbacks and calling them an SUV, lol. Creta is one such laughable example of the same and interestingly sold and still sells really well, happens only in India

90s was the golden era and I think 2010 was the last year when still we had things in order. After that, almost everything has gone downhill. Monopolies everywhere and all because the public has been slowly and cleverly made powerless!
The Rainmaker is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 19:35   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Our norms and taxes are not very friendly for sure but they are same for everyone, be it Indian manufacturer or international manufacturer. Toyota, VW, Skoda are battling ground with same norms and taxes so as Tata, Mahindra. Ford exited mainly because their other models flopped big time apart from Figo, Ecosport in last 10-15 years. Why only blame our government?
aniketi is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 20:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
One by one they're killing the desires of enthusiasts.
1. W.r.t photography - Banning tik-tok does not ban creativity. There are enough Youtubers/Instagrammers from India who are super successful

2. Water/Electricity - Those who are running for basics, wouldn't care about a 35Lakh SUV

3. If Tata and Hyundai are launching SUVs, with so called truck body on hatchback chasis, what stops Ford from copying that and tasting success?

Fact of the matter is, that taxes are uniform for all manufacturers. VW and Skoda are not crying and have launched decent models last year and have seen pleasant sales. Even MG for that matter.

What new model did Ford launch before shutting shop - Figo, Aspire. Why did they not launch Turbo petrols, because they were not willing to experiment. Why did they not build a catalog of SUVs, like Tata, Hyundai, read Punch, Venue, Nexon, Creta, Harrier, Alcazar Safari which are all selling in '000s. Leave aside that, they even kept deleting features from the Ecosport. One of the Bhpian has added some really valuable tech features on his Ecosport by importing some add-on modules. Couldn't Ford do that and provide a top of the line Ecosport?

Why do keep blaming the government for our failures?

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st March 2022 at 22:17. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 20:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Our norms and taxes are not very friendly for sure but they are same for everyone, be it Indian manufacturer or international manufacturer. Toyota, VW, Skoda are battling ground with same norms and taxes so as Tata, Mahindra. Ford exited mainly because their other models flopped big time apart from Figo, Ecosport in last 10-15 years. Why only blame our government?
I hope you do understand that the policies of our government clearly favor local brands and companies for obvious reasons (Also called lobbying). And I hope you also understand that when local manufacturers produce a vehicle in India using locally sourced materials, they're not paying import duties and taxes on CKD or CBU units or imported parts and money saved is money earned because still they price them very close to their foreign counterparts in some cases.

Also, it is already an established fact that anything manufactured locally here is quite low in quality (we clearly lack the QC element here) although many would not admit it due to a false sense of pride but since I've been a quality analyst all my life, I can clearly tell good quality from bad and vice-versa. For reference, try 'feeling' the plastics and fabrics inside a Tata/Mahindra vehicle for starters and then go to your nearest Toyota Dealership and compare with a similarly priced vehicle and if you've even the slightest of analytical ability, the quality differences will be substantial. Even the headlights and tail lights (Stanley or Koito Japan on Toyota/Honda/Mitsubishi/Nissan vs Locally made lights on Indian Cars). I won't go into the engine and drive-train and manufacturing practices as that will be a whole another topic in itself. But if you can spot these basic differences that's enough to prove my point because engine and drive-line will be a whole another ballgame when it comes to these multinationals who spend billions of dollars on R&D unlike local automakers.

These are only to name a few because no matter what happens Japanese and Germans rarely compromise on their quality unless the government really pushes them that far (Maybe that day will come soon too). So, it's very easy to defend the current scenario but it's actually quite bad. Foreign automakers are facing a very hard time surviving here barring a few who have models in the volume & budget lineup only because they don't treat their customers as guinea pigs while Indian brands conveniently do so.

I would also take this opportunity to highlight that I've been quite involved in this passion for the last 15 years and can proudly say that I've driven 'almost' every car that has been available in India in the last 15 years or even prior to that. So, I know what I'm talking about here and I'm not being paid money by any brand to endorse them. All my views are my own and at the end of the day we're all free to make our own choices depending on our budget and likes/ dislikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Fact of the matter is, that taxes are uniform for all manufacturers. VW and Skoda are not crying and have launched decent models last year and have seen pleasant sales. Even MG for that matter.
I see you've misunderstood my points above. Photography meant the equipment (like cars in this case) on which we pay hefty duties to buy a lens that costs half the price in US or UAE or HK. I never mentioned the apps or individual talent.

I own a Porsche that costs 4 times the price of a 35 lac SUV but I do care about water/electricity. No matter what you think, we know how water and electricity are an issue in our country. Not just the rates of electricity but also the availability and the quality of the same.

Taxes are not the same, if you're going literally - yes. But when you think about it, No. If you read my post above, you'll see how local players don't have to pay import duties and taxes while foreign players have to, not because they want to but because if something can't be made locally, they have to source it from outside because they won't compromise on the quality like local brands do and that is where they take a hit. See there are plenty of things in this business model and it's not as simple as it's mentioned by the media.

That was exactly my point -Indian and Korean/Chinese manufacturers are very good at 'Copying'. That's because ethics are not a part of their business model, it has never been, never will be. If you read the books on cultural differences, you'll understand the principles that govern these countries, especially China and Korea.

I'm not saying that Ford was perfect because they weren't. You are partially correct there. But instead of following what everyone does they chose to leave because in any case, it wasn't worth it to carry on in this market when they were getting better profits elsewhere. I mean how do you expect a brand to survive when they have to sell a Mustang for 80 lakhs in India, that's like a joke in itself and still, there were takers, that's another joke

Why do I blame the government? Well, I'm glad you asked but I'm sure if you search a little you'll figure it out yourself as well. I'll keep it restricted to cars only while there are 'n' number of other things I can compare to justify. The salaries in the US are twice or in some cases almost thrice that of those in India but their cars cost half or less than half in most cases. The imports on almost everything are pretty much affordable and yes you CAN import cars you like without all the hassles and red-tapism present here. Trust me when I say we're being screwed royally by our own government.

A little google search goes a long way. No offence to anyone, you made your points and I respect it totally but the fact also remains that Subaru and now Tesla couldn't make it to the Indian market because the government wouldn't relax the policies for them, also because that would challenge the local players. So, it does matter to a large extent while to some extent the brands have to improvise as well

Last edited by Turbanator : 31st March 2022 at 22:26. Reason: Merged back to back posts.Fixed typos, Please use multi-quote & proofread.
The Rainmaker is offline   (42) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 22:54   #8
BHPian

Quote:

A little google search goes a long way. No offence to anyone, you made your points and I respect it totally but the fact also remains that Subaru and now Tesla couldn't make it to the Indian market because the government wouldn't relax the policies for them, also because that would challenge the local players. So, it does matter to a large extent while to some extent the brands have to improvise as well
Why blame the government if one company cannot launch new products, features, or even be proactive enough to keep up with the market, if the government supports local manufacturers it is because it boosts our economy, but it is not like the foreign companies are being given unfair treatment, ford was given a fair amount of subsidies, and also Ford was lethargic at best in bringing new models to our market. Vw group is also a foreign manufacturer trying their level best to bringing new vehicles here. Also you are comparing a developing country’s import policy to that of a developed economy which is fundamentally wrong. Let’s keep our discussion to cars as team bhp guidelines state that we should keep other discussions out of our forum.

Last edited by W16rocks : 31st March 2022 at 22:56.
W16rocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 23:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:

But instead of following what everyone does they chose to leave because in any case, it wasn't worth it to carry on in this market when they were getting better profits elsewhere.
Being a Ford owner myself, I can't see much merit in this argument. Apart from good to excellent driving dynamics,everything else in last gen Figo triples weren't appealing for a potential buyer. There might be a whole thread related to Ford's exit.But keeping it short, they didn't upgrade their models / feature set when required,their marketing campaign was poor, the feature deletion spree was active was always. The interior of last gen mid-model Figo was depressing. If they had worked/planned a bit more smarter,they could have stayed alive.
maheshm619 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st March 2022, 23:54   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maheshm619 View Post
Being a Ford owner myself, I can't see much merit in this argument. Apart from good to excellent driving dynamics,everything else in last gen Figo triples weren't appealing for a potential buyer. There might be a whole thread related to Ford's exit.But keeping it short, they didn't upgrade their models / feature set when required,their marketing campaign was poor, the feature deletion spree was active was always. The interior of last gen mid-model Figo was depressing. If they had worked/planned a bit more smarter,they could have stayed alive.
I understand your viewpoint as well. However, I personally like the simple analog interiors without any fancy features. Keeps the clutter low and functional. Probably that's why you felt they were getting dated and rightfully so. To each their own. But I like my cars without any electronic aids and analog buttons, not touchscreens. Maybe because I'm a purist when it comes to cars
The Rainmaker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 01:28   #11
BHPian

Looking at this here and also on YouTube, I feel that we Indians are missing on a really good product. This looks so better and butch than Legender or Fortuner itself, just poor management from Ford that led to their demise in sales.

I wish this comes as a CKD or CBU in India, I am sure it will find a lot of buyers.
Old 1st April 2022, 08:20   #12
BHPian

The endeavour was better than its competitors and this one looks even more loaded. This is not a thread on government policies and reasons why Ford left India, but owning two of them since 12 years and watching closely, in my view it was Ford's fault.

1. No new launches.
2. Created a segment but didn't update the package with time.
3. Lack of efficient petrol engines.
4. Juggling and deleting features in existing models.
Blow Horn Ok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 09:44   #13
Senior - BHPian

Guys, we have enough threads discussing why Ford decided to leave, let's stick to the discussion on the new Endeavour.

Looking at the Thai selling price of 33 Lakh, and the CBU rules in India there could be a case for a CBU Endeavour.

CBU's with CIF value less than $40,000 (~30 Lakh) have to pay an import duty of 60%, so we could be looking at a price around 50 Lakh ex-showroom. Of course this is for the base model and every other trim will fall into the 100% duty bracket.

Maybe with some de-spec-ing they could find a workable business case.

EDIT - Just realised, GST will apply over and above this, so there will never be a workable business case !

Last edited by Sheel : 2nd April 2022 at 19:56. Reason: Endy = Endeavour. Strictly no acronyms please for manufacturer make / model / brand. Thanks.
fiat_tarun is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 10:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:

That’s a little Harsh IMO, I read one of your subsequent posts that you own a Porsche so I’m sure you may not find the Indians and Koreans very high quality. However I like many others on this forum own the humble Hyundai’s and Kia’s and I find the quality and fit/finish really good for the price, probably the best in the segment.

Why Ford left India is a discussion for another day but as enthusiasts let’s not bash other “low quality” brands.
armaan_singh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st April 2022, 13:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For reference, try 'feeling' the plastics and fabrics inside a Tata/Mahindra vehicle for starters and then go to your nearest Toyota Dealership and compare with a similarly priced vehicle and if you've even the slightest of analytical ability, the quality differences will be substantial. Even the headlights and tail lights (Stanley or Koito Japan on Toyota/Honda/Mitsubishi/Nissan vs Locally made lights on Indian Cars). I won't go into the engine and drive-train and manufacturing practices as that will be a whole another topic in itself. But if you can spot these basic differences that's enough to prove my point because engine and drive-line will be a whole another ballgame when it comes to these multinationals who spend billions of dollars on R&D unlike local automakers.
Etios and Liva were from Toyota only and they were pathetic in terms of quality, be it interiors or overall design. In case of Innova and Fortuner, what they give is not great for the price they charge. All know how Honda has gone down on quality in last few years. When it comes to German cars, we have threads here full of it's unreliability and so many different types of failures. Lots of people are scared to buy a German car just because of their unreliability.
aniketi is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks