Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2022, 11:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes launches Mythos sub-brand for ultra-exclusive cars; positioned above Maybach

Mercedes-Benz has announced the launch of a new sub-brand, called Mythos. The new Mythos sub-brand will produce low volume special vehicles for "the most dedicated enthusiasts & collectors of Mercedes-Benz". The introduction of the new sub-brand is to help boost Mercedes-Benz's top-end vehicle sales by up to 60% between 2019 & 2026.

Name:  mercgrille.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  88.8 KB

The new Mythos Series will be positioned above the Mercedes-Maybach line-up. The first product from the new Mythos Series is said to be an open-roof speedster model based on the Mercedes-AMG SL. The new Mythos speedster will rival similar products from Aston Martin, Ferrari & McLaren.

Mercedes-Benz stated that it will be prioritising the production of expensive models and is aiming for an operating margin of 14% by the middle of this decade. The company will also be diverting 75% of its overall investment towards the development of these higher-margin luxury vehicles.

Mercedes-Benz also stated that going forward, it will be focusing on three distinct categories. The first of these categories is top-end luxury consisting of AMG, Maybach, the most expensive EQ-badged EVs and all derivatives of the S-Class, GLS & G-Class. The second category is core luxury, which consists of the C-Class and E-Class models and their derivatives. The third category is entry-luxury and will consist of four models. However, the exact offerings are unclear at this moment.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 20th May 2022 at 11:11.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:22   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes launches Mythos sub-brand for ultra-exclusive cars; positioned above Maybach

I'm not even gonna wonder about the price at which it will launch in India.

Although the strategy does looks good.
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 11:32   #3
BHPian

Re: Mercedes launches Mythos sub-brand for ultra-exclusive cars; positioned above Maybach

Creating a new brand (or sub-brand) is difficult, takes time and doesn't always work.

This was the reason that a few decades ago, instead of creating a new super luxury brand, Mercedes tried to resurrect the old Maybach name as it had some legacy and recall. But they ultimately shut Maybach down as a separate brand, rolled it into Mercedes as a "sub-brand".

I'm not sure if this Mythos thing, which is EVEN more pricey than Maybach would be successful given that its got no legacy or recall, something that ultra high end customers generally expect.
lordrayden is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 12:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The first product from the new Mythos Series is said to be an open-roof speedster model based on the Mercedes-AMG SL. The new Mythos speedster will rival similar products from Aston Martin, Ferrari & McLaren.
Aston Martin, Ferrari & McLaren cars are special and demand premium pricing since they are exclusive and not "based" on anything. Mercedes is trying to upsell the AMG SL and few other *cough* cheaper *cough* AMG models by giving them new clothes and a bit more tuning. It seems like a dead on arrival brand and one would rather buy the AMG and tune it to their liking.

By the way, I wonder how this ultra low volume brand will help Mercedes boost its already mature upper tier sales by a whopping 60% simply by rebadging. Also, it is amusing how MB is so called "diverting 75% of its overall investment towards the development of these higher-margin luxury vehicles". The most expensive aspect of any new car is its platform and engine development R&D. Since it will be borrowing the base car, does that mean they will spend this 75% on just the final tweaking for this high end brand and a meager 25% on the real development of the base product?

Mercedes should focus on what made it special. Over-engineered, ultra-reliable, ultimate-luxurious cars. They should divert 75% of their resources towards that. A true successor to the legendary S-Class W140 would do more for the brand rather than this Mythos sub-brand.
Ritkon is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th May 2022, 12:52   #5
BHPian

History repeats itself. I am very much sure that this brand will find a lot of takers. I also have a very strong feeling that 30-40 years down the line, mass market cars will no longer be needed owing to reasons such as better public transport, remote working etc.
Old 21st May 2022, 10:01   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

If this is like those Ferrari programmes where you can customise the external styling and have a one-off model, it is a win. Like the mysterious S600 Royale. Or the recent WILL. I. AMG model. There are a good number of customers for that and who are willing to pay too. Also something for us proletariat to dream about.

But if it is another of those fancy trim/fancy alloy/leather everything/carbon everything scheme, guess the Maybach and AMG brands are more than enough for that.
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:24   #7
BHPian

This is a very strategic move by Mythos. In the recent years, I personally feel that the brand value of Maybach has significantly decreased, albeit not the value of the products produced (still top-class). In Mumbai spotting Maybachs first was something that was a once in a blue moon incident, however you nowadays it has become a much more common sighting and this is the case with other metro cities as well. One can suspect that the 'specialness' of these vehicles abroad has further decreased as essentially the most common Maybach model is based on the S Class.

If Mercedes aims to safeguard the brand capital of the 3 pointed star, this move was definitely in order. I wonder what this means in terms of pricing for the current models, it would be increasingly tough charge extremely high premiums now that they Maybach is not the top of the heap. Excited for this new chapter!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

This will be pinnacle of engineering, technology, comfort and luxury but can't shake the feeling that the name sounds like a brand of high end bathroom fittings.
amol4184 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 17:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

They are perhaps aiming at the Rolls Royce niche. But a Rolls is a Rolls and has always been a Rolls.

Can't say as to whether it will click with the buyers though the Sindelfingen and Stuttgart based manufacturer has a great reputation and brand equity. And if it clicks, expect some rare 2024 or later Mythos to get auctioned for N million dollars, but only around 2091 or later. The rare 1955 Merc 300 SLR Uhlenhaut Coupe fetched $ 142 million two days back.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 22nd May 2022 at 17:36.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 06:37   #10
BHPian

Definitely not easy to establish a new brand. It will be a monumental task to make one. But something above Maybach would mean something that’s of that quality and having better technology and design overall.
Old 23rd May 2022, 20:53   #11
BANNED

I'm not sure if there are others who have similar thoughts - but what a strange world we live in. On the one hand we have the war in Ukraine - not a day passes without a new numbing scenario of gloom and doom. Not just the prospect of a world war, but of economic disaster and food shortage for the world at large, specially for the weaker sections of the planet. And on the other hand we have these hedonistic enterprises who want to scale unprecedented heights of indulgence.

Nero fiddled while Rome burnt.

Last edited by shashanka : 23rd May 2022 at 20:55.
Old 24th May 2022, 10:36   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
I'm not sure if there are others who have similar thoughts - but what a strange world we live in. On the one hand we have the war in Ukraine - not a day passes without a new numbing scenario of gloom and doom. Not just the prospect of a world war, but of economic disaster and food shortage for the world at large, specially for the weaker sections of the planet. And on the other hand we have these hedonistic enterprises who want to scale unprecedented heights of indulgence.

Nero fiddled while Rome burnt.
I don't know what this one thing has got to do with another.
There are always warlike situations and wars/ bombardments happening in different parts of the world. Syria is still being bombarded. Afghanistan was bombarded for a couple of decades. China was attacking India, etc. and the world carried on with more product launches, car launches, etcetera.

The only reason Ukraine Russia war has more importance is because of western media giving it more coverage. Of course, they aren't subtle about why?

Quote:
“It’s very emotional for me because I see European people with blue eyes and blonde hair being killed” - Ukraine’s Deputy Chief Prosecutor, David Sakvarelidze
- BBC

Quote:
"This isn't Iraq or Afghanistan...This is a relatively civilized, relatively European city"
- CBS foreign correspondent Charlie D’Agata

PS: I Haven't added all the "reasons"
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2022, 17:35   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
,,,,and the world carried on with more product launches, car launches, etcetera.....
True and I felt exactly the same then as I do now.

The only reason why this war is in the news is because of the frequent highlighting of an inadvertant pressing of the N-button and the ensuing apocalypse.
Plus of course the allusions to the coming "new world order" and the possible change to a multipolar world - a multi-polar world after the apocalypse?

The reasons for wars are not the issue - they are a genetic aberration & we have been living with it since......

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks