Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2022, 13:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai might discontinue the Sonata as sedan sales crash

According to a media report, Hyundai might discontinue the Sonata nameplate from its international model lineup in the next few years.

Reports suggest that Hyundai is not developing a new-generation iteration of the Sonata. However, the car is expected to receive one last facelift before being discontinued permanently sometime around 2025. The Hyundai Sonata is currently in its eighth-generation iteration, which was introduced back in 2020.

Hyundai might discontinue the Sonata as sedan sales crash-hyundaisonata.jpg

Internationally, the current-gen Hyundai Sonata is offered with two petrol engines and a hybrid powertrain. The sedan is said to be phased out in favour of EVs by the brand. Hyundai is currently working on introducing the Ioniq 6 EV, which could replace the Sonata in Hyundai's line-up.

Reports also suggest that another reason for its discontinuation is its low sales. The Hyundai Sonata sedan is said to have managed just 4,40,000 units of sales in the last 3 years, compared to over a million units with the previous models. The sedan was first introduced in 1985 and is one of the longest surviving models in Korea, garnering over 9 million units.

Source: Chosun Ilbo

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 7th June 2022 at 13:38.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 14:18   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai might discontinue the Sonata as sedan sales crash

I do hope sedans come back some time in the future. I recently switched from a sedan to an SUV. And after that I have been noticing (when the right car goes by), just how graceful and elegant the sedan body shape is, something no SUV can match.
lordrayden is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine owns a 2015 Sonata. His was among numerous Sonata's that underwent an engine change last year due to a class action lawsuit. This was September 2021.

This might be the reason for Sonata being discontinued.

Link: https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-...on-settlement/

Quote:
Individuals who bought or leased any of the following vehicles: 2011–2018 and certain 2019 Hyundai Sonata, 2013–2018 and certain 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport, and 2014–2015, 2018, and certain 2019 Hyundai Tucson vehicles.

Class vehicles must have been equipped with or replaced with a genuine Theta II 2.0 liter or 2.4 liter gasoline direct injection engine within OEM specifications.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2022, 16:02   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Once the best seller in the US especially in the Honda Accord class of midsized sedans, and always in the list of top 5 best selling cars, it's sad to read about the company thinking about its discontinuance.

Changing times, needs and priorities of buyers and the company's good balance sheet are quite important and so such harsh decisions come by.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 06:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Survival of the fittest in a market taken over by SUVs and crossovers.

Ford (Fusion) first, and now Hyundai (Sonata)? I guess it won't be too long before Nissan, GM, and Mazda feel the pinch. In a few years, guess it'll be a two-horse race between the Camry and the Accord.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 11:40   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I think Hyundai is at the crossroads with the Sonata because of 3 reasons:

- At one time, a big sedan that could take the fight to Honda & Toyota was a must-have to build their brand. Mission accomplished now, Hyundai is seen on par with any other mainstream brand.

- In large markets like the USA, the Camry & Accord are default choices. It makes Hyundai compete on pricing, to an extent. Most people don't consider the Sonata to be superior to a Camry or Accord (I also don't think it is).

- Where to invest? The OEMs have to make choices today = SUVs, Crossovers, Electric Cars, Autonomous Driving...it's why Ford cut its sedan lineup in the USA. CEOs have to prioritise.

That being said, I still think the Sonata will continue. Reason = it does sell ~5,000 / month in the USA alone, and was doing well over 10,000 / month before the chip shortage. That kind of turnover is significant, and it also helps retain customers within the Hyundai family. Lastly, the "Sonata" is one of the better known nameplates from Hyundai. There's huge value in having a recognisable nameplate.

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2022 at 11:42.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:58   #7

I still drive a 2010 Sonata and I my love with the machine has not faded when I first test drove it in 2011. The 2 Ltr CRDI is a Diesel rocket with a 321 NM torque. The driving dynamics are still unmatched and I haven't found it any of the sedan's, I have tested. It had one of the best ground clearance among that generation sedans and it lets you untouched at larger bumps even. The major attraction was the 70 Lts. tank capacity which was one the biggest boon. It has clocked 131K Kms and still is shining as it was. I had no service or parts issue from Hyundai yet. I use it as my daily city car and I have a Ford Endeavour for long adventures.
@Debanshu_B is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 22:44   #8
BHPian

As far as styling goes, this generation of the Sonata is good looking to me. Anyways, the writing was on the wall for any mid-size sedan that wasn't a Camry, Accord or maybe an Altima.
The Sonata's platform mate, the Kia K5 (also called the Optima) is set to be axed soon too. https://www.thetorquereport.com/kia-...-discontinued/ The Stinger, although not a direct competitor, is also predicted to be out of production very soon.

The Ford Fusion and Chevrolet Malibu bit the dust the same way. They were selling in respectable numbers but not providing satisfactory profit margins. Developing new platforms for mid-size sedans would not be a good business decision, since the sedan has now become a niche market and in such a situation, economies of scale can't really be taken advantage of due to low sales when compared to a mass market.

That is why the SUV-only strategy came into play: making what the mass market demands is how they could raise their profit margins on products. It also allows for more resources to be directed towards a smaller number of products. A relatively modest number of fantastic offerings are much better than a large number of mediocre ones.

However, for the sedan loving customer, there will be fewer and fewer choices in the future. This trend set in even earlier for full-size sedans (non-luxury) with only the Toyota Avalon and Chrysler 300 left. Customers buy what they want, and manufacturers in turn produce what is demanded.

I would love myself a good mid-size sedan any day, but I am in the minority today.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 8th June 2022 at 22:54. Reason: Edited for clarity.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2022, 10:18   #9
BHPian

I used to Own a Hyundai Sonata for around 5 months in US. Though it was brilliant car, but was no Match to Honda Accord, Toyota Camry or Nissan Altima in terms of space, reliability and resale value. Mazda 6 and Ford Fusion has better drivability.

Sonata was well put together, had more features and better highway performance than its Japanese rivals for same segment. This is the car which made car buyer to look at Hyundai as an option in the Midsize sedan segment.

I think the car achieved for Hyundai what it was intended for and Hyundai wants to Move on.

Will I miss this car, only in used cars market in US (one good cheap option gone)

Regards
Old 10th June 2022, 20:54   #10
BHPian

In the Gulf atleast, the Sonata is a fairly popular name-plate. Infact, I think Hyundai sells almost as many Sonatas as Nissan Altimas or Honda Accords with Hyundai clearly beating them in Saudi Arabia, only the Camry is more popular. Even in other countries like the US, the sonata sells sufficiently for it not to be discontinued.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2022, 06:44   #11
BHPian

This one seems a little unlikely, because Sonata is given almost the same respect/Street cred as the Japanese twins in Saudi Arabia (and the wider GCC market) and it's also doing decent numbers in the US.
I grew up in Saudi Arabia, so Hyundai has really come a long way from the Taxi image that they had during my childhood.

The threat does exist though, sales of Sonata appear to be dwindling and numbers are visibly moving towards C-SUV/SUV segments.
Speaking of the GCC market there's also has a TONNE of Chinese competitors with their beautiful designs and irresistibly cheap prices and most if not all almost strategically do not offer competent sedans.

Last edited by Imran.Syed : 11th June 2022 at 06:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks