Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2022, 11:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look

Lexus is said to have admitted that its signature spindle grille is too large. According to a media report, the company stated that the large front grille could polarise opinions, rather than attract new buyers.

Name:  lexusgrilles3.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  24.5 KB

Reports suggest that while the spindle grille will not be discontinued, Lexus is planning to reduce its size. Koichi Suga, Global Design Chief at Lexus, recently stated that the company will revert to a more conservative look. He further stated that the company will find the 'right balance' with a new design called 'Spindle body'.

Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look-lexusgrilles2.jpg

The spindle body design, which debuted on the large RX and RZ electric SUVs, will blend the grille with the rest of the body. As seen on the two new models, Lexus will either blank out the grille entirely as on the RZ or introduce a body-coloured 'overbite' insert as seen on the RX.

Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look-lexusgrilles1.jpg

The large spindle grille has been a signature design element across various Lexus models, since its inception in 2012. The company was also among the first car brands to introduce enlarged front grilles on cars. Over the years, many other manufacturers have also introduced large grilles on their vehicles, with the most controversial being BMW. However, recent reports suggested that even BMW is considering removing the large grille design on its 4 Series range.

Source: Automotive News

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look

Finally.
Unbelievable that it took 10 years for them to admit the terrifying huge grille was a mistake but not before spreading that cancer to other manufacturers. 10 freaking years of hundreds of thousands cars and people complaining all across. Sometimes I wonder what goes on as market research and where does all the feedback end up.

Having said that the spindle body grille or simply blanking out slats as seen on EVs above is even worse.
amol4184 is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:07   #3
BHPian

Re: Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look

The spindle grill is long over due for a change. It just doesn't get with the design of the car and is the single most polarizing factor on any Lexus.

Hope they introduce a different design language rather than just blanking it out or reducing the size.
ToThePoint is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 13:56   #4

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 9th June 2022 at 07:18.
century is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th June 2022, 20:35   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Correctly i.e. modestly proportioned the spindle grill can be made to look smart. But making it look simplly bigger and bigger a la BMW is a sign of artistic deficiency. But given how well the brand sells clearly there are a l-o-t of customers out there who seem to not mind it or maybe is it is a case of mine is bigger than yours! Frankly, despite being a Lexus fan I find their bigger grills completely nuts.
V.Narayan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 22:31   #6
BHPian

I think Lexus finally understood that their grilles were slowly alienating their target audience: people who want an elegant and sober looking luxury car. Think of the sort of buyer Audi caters to with their designs. The only car which I look at and go "Wow! That spindle grille looks amazingly integrated." would be the LC500. This is just my guess, I am open to further speculation.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 03:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ugly grill (or too in your face) or not, every generation of the RX has been a runaway success in its home market, the USA. This new one tones down the design a bit. I am not a fan of this new front end either, however, I have realized that many cars can look different in a picture versus when you see them up close. The new RX, with its more hunkered down look has a lot of appeal.

Doug does a nice video on the new RX. 4 power train options is rather surprising at a time the world is going electric.

sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 07:26   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thank goodness . The new Lexus cars drive nicer and come so solidly built (like the Germans), but that grille has seriously been a deal-breaker for many. It's good to stand out if you do it like Mercedes (stunning designs). It's good to blend in if you do it like Audi (understated charisma). But to stand out for the heck of it with these ugly grilles turns off customers.

The side & rear profiles of Lexus are actually very handsome. It's just the front grille that's messy.

Now, will that other luxury brand please take an honest look in the mirror? Again, great looking side & rear profiles, but that face
Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look-m3front.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 08:08   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Now, will that other luxury brand please take an honest look in the mirror?
It’s a disease that’s has been festering for some time. Look at the degradation from the near perfect E46 to the evolving-to-grotesque disproportionate front of the G20:
Attached Images

EV NXT is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 13:58   #10
BHPian

I knew I was looking at something which was quite unusual and my wife was equally inquisitive when I trained my Camera on it.
Yes, the Grille of Lexus, parked on a higher ground than the pedestrian walk below. On a walk at Philadelphia, PA, USA.

Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look-y-13.jpg

Elsewhere

Lexus could tone down its spindle grille size; return to a more conservative look-y-14.jpg

Last edited by Amrik Singh : 9th June 2022 at 13:59.
Amrik Singh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 14:11   #11
BHPian

I like BMW's large grill despite all the complaints about it but dislike Lexus's grill and find it gawdy.
Old 11th June 2022, 10:49   #12
BHPian

The grill was ugly indeed, decision is long overdue.
Given the general profile of most Lexus owners being a bit conservative, emphasizing more on value and comfort (as opposed to pure performance), this was long overdue. I understand they wanted to break this image of Lexus being seen as car of choice for more mature (shall I say older demographics) and value conscious clientele with this design, but the design was polarizing and ugly. One does not become an athlete just by wearing athletelic clothes, need to work on overall body!
Old 11th June 2022, 21:08   #13
BHPian

Grill design and size alone wasn't the ugly thing. All the design elements were incoherent.
Like having an non-upright, asymmetrical, curvy 'L' logo inside a oval which was surrounded by an outrageously large, predominantly black, asymmetrical 'spindle' with six sharp corners and irregular slats inside, housed in a oversized front bumper which is coupled with sleek headlpamps, narrow cabin pillars, shoulder lines, alloy wheel spokes and door handles.
In one sentence, the Lexus cars look horrible. I can't believe the designers actually get paid for designing these contraptions.

Last edited by Geta : 11th June 2022 at 21:12.
Old 11th June 2022, 23:19   #14
BHPian

I actually will go against the tide here and say that while the grill on its own is large, the overall looks are different and quite striking; to be honest they stand out in a sea of understated designs. Also, more often than not these designs (Lexus, the new BMW grills) look polarizing in pictures but you have to see the car in person and then decide. As they say, beauty lies in the eye of the beholder!
Old 12th June 2022, 16:19   #15
BHPian

That's a welcome move. Honestly the 'Go Big Grill' movement across all brands was becoming an eyesore and tiresome to look at. For a bit there it was looking like in 2-5 years there will be a car with a grill covering half the bonnet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks