Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2022, 15:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Stellantis designer wants to remove all screens from car interiors; find less intrusive alternates

Thierry Métroz - the chief designer of Citroen's premium sub-brand DS, is reported to have expressed a desire to "revolutionise" car interiors by removing all screens.

Stellantis designer wants to remove all screens from car interiors; find less intrusive alternates-ds7interior.jpg

According to a media report, Metroz feels that the current trend of having multiple large screens in cars "is a bit stupid" and not part of DS's philosophy. He added that when the screen is switched off, it becomes just another rectangular surface with multiple fingerprints and isn't luxurious. Although, he did agree that delivering all the information to the driver, will be a big challenge.

While Metroz currently doesn't have a solution to the screens, he did say that DS could look at new technologies which could replace screens. The replacement will, according to the designer, be "less intrusive, but add more serenity".

Source: Autocar

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 16:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Stellantis designer wants to remove all screens from car interiors; find less intrusive alternat

At last someone is making sense. Larger infotainment screens are one of the reasons why people are choosing certain brands. I find it very difficult to understand. Why would a driver need such huge screens? Screens that run all through the dashboard are the norm now. Apart from maps, everything else can be integrated into symbols on the MID. That has been moved from analog to digital. Makes no sense to me. A small basic screen should be more than enough.
Raghu M is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 17:00   #3
BHPian

Re: Stellantis designer wants to remove all screens from car interiors; find less intrusive alternat

People need information to be presented like maps, apps etc. Now if you can use the same screen to control through touch, it reduces lot of other input methods. There is no mechanical control and everything is by wire.

Understand the part of not looking good but they can add some buttons to make it look good They should make the buttons programmable so everyone can have buttons for what they need the most.
Old 1st July 2022, 17:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thierry Métroz - the chief designer of Citroen's premium sub-brand DS, is reported to have expressed a desire to "revolutionise" car interiors by removing all screens.

Attachment 2328007

According to a media report, Metroz feels that the current trend of having multiple large screens in cars "is a bit stupid" and not part of DS's philosophy. He added that when the screen is switched off, it becomes just another rectangular surface with multiple fingerprints and isn't luxurious. Although, he did agree that delivering all the information to the driver, will be a big challenge.

While Metroz currently doesn't have a solution to the screens, he did say that DS could look at new technologies which could replace screens. The replacement will, according to the designer, be "less intrusive, but add more serenity".

Source: Autocar

Link to Team-BHP news
Am happy he is talking about presenting all information to the 'driver'. If that's the case, you don't need the screen for much else except maybe maps. Also important to note that he is referring only to screens and not other features.

Am happy if there is an alternative that can be found. Heck am happy with conventional meters and buttons as long as I have the convinience of seeing maps without having to hang my phone somewhere.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 18:17   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Give the man a cigar! Finally, a car designer that actually understand we want cars and not iPads on wheels!
Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 19:42   #6
BHPian

My first reaction to this was: "Praise be to the gods of petrol and diesel. Finally a car designer with some common sense, a man with his finger on pulse of the people".

But on thinking a bit more, I thought, "Wait, ALL screens?". What about the navigation? Where do I see that?

I really hope he doesn't mess up whatever futurama idea he comes up with. Else other designers and manufacturers will say: "That frenchman tried removing screens, it was a big mess and no body liked it. Ergo, people want screens. Lets give them more screens. Remove the windshield, put in a curved LED display and stick an SLR on the bonnet so people can see what's in front of them in 16K resolution!"
lordrayden is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 20:52   #7
BHPian

To all those folks who say that they hate screens, please confirm if you are still using a cordless phone which never had any screen or a feature phone which had a very small screen.
We all moved from the cordless to the small screen and today probably a vat majority of us is using a smartphone with a large screen. We even replaced the humble watch with a screen.
We all moved from 15 inch televisions to 32 inches to TV screens which are as big as your drawing room.
And on the topic of vehicles, didn't a lot of put multiple dials in our humble Zens and Esteems for all the extra info? They are nothing but analog screens.
If we all have accepted screens everywhere why this opposition in accepting it in your cars? If you don't like it, we can ask the manufacturer to provide a button to turn it off.
I for one have moved with the times and my next car is only going to have screens, no physical dials. And I am fine with that. I believe in accepting the change and moving with the tide.
According to me the designer at DS doesn't really have a solution and has made a statement to garner eyeballs. May be a PR stunt.

Godspeed, BB
Maverick1977 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 22:12   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
To all those folks who say that they hate screens, please confirm if you are still using a cordless phone which never had any screen or a feature phone which had a very small screen.
We all moved from the cordless to the small screen and today probably a vat majority of us is using a smartphone with a large screen.
And on the topic of vehicles, didn't a lot of put multiple dials in our humble Zens and Esteems for all the extra info? They are nothing but analog screens.
If we all have accepted screens everywhere why this opposition in accepting it in your cars? If you don't like it, we can ask the manufacturer to provide a button to turn it off.
I for one have moved with the times and my next car is only going to have screens, no physical dials.
There is a very big difference here in terms of innovation. My iPhone can do a billion more things than my old cordless phone. Even more than old fixed phone, with rotary dialler and bolted to the wall.

The screen added the possibility for an endless variety of additional features. Way beyond traditional voice calls and a bit of texting.

CAR screens don’t add much functionality. In many cases they replicate the same information you would have on an analogue dash board. Some of these digital displays even mimic analogue dials, which is pretty pathetic.

I love new technology, I am your ultimate nerdy techy. As a pilot I trained on analogue gauges, and moved onto glass cockpits very quickly. But again, those glass cockpits gave me a huge benefit over analogue instruments. There was a massive functional gain. On commercial airliner it lead to much more automation on the flight deck and making the flight engineer redundant.

I would much more prefer a good effective heads up display [HUD) then an IPad bolted to the dash. The HUD makes for safer driving. Less eyes down time. Just a few high end car offer a HUD these days.

The other thing is, I like the feel of tactile switches. In planes and boats you will find a lot of screens, some touch screen. But any function that is really relevant to controlling the plane/boat is always done via separate switches.

This is my main hate when comes to these displays in cars. Very little thought about usability, safety and so on, has been put into it. It seems they just bunged in a screen and crammed in as many old analogue functions as they can and do away with switch gear.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 1st July 2022 at 22:25.
Jeroen is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 1st July 2022, 23:47   #9
BHPian

Thank the Automotive design gods someone finally gets it.

The only acceptable screen in a car interior IMO is the Infotainment system and for the gauge cluster the people who design car interiors can take inspiration from the 3rd gen Suzuki Hayabusa. Hear me out, the MK3 Hayabusa has what I think is the perfect gauge cluster setup for both car and motorcycle.

A high quality TFT display in the middle that is flanked by a big analog tachometer and speedometer on each side with warning lights up top and a temperature gauge and fuel indicator on either end.

Yeah mini iPad's, I mean TFT displays look cool but watching an analog tachometer move as you twist the throttle (or step on the accelerator) has it's own thrill that no 8 inch LED TFT 8 bit color 4K panel can match.
Attached Thumbnails
Stellantis designer wants to remove all screens from car interiors; find less intrusive alternates-busa-gauges.jpg  

Last edited by GreasyCarb55 : 1st July 2022 at 23:53.
GreasyCarb55 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 09:28   #10
BHPian

Good to see something thinking in the right direction, what we need is a great balance of analog & digital screens which would balance both.
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:01   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

About time.

Screens screens everywhere. Information, ofcourse. Yes. We wants lots of it. But basic functions? Please, just leave some knobs and buttons. Tesla surely went overboard (have to use touchscreen to open/close the glovebox? ) and everyone is in a mad scramble to ape and overdo themselves. Some have gained sense, especially mainstream manufacturers and driver-focussed companies, but the trend today is sadly towards more screen. Just look at present 'best car in the world'. Sigh. Though, looks like the designer is more into looking at the aesthetics aspect, than the functioning. What happened to those screens that used to pop up or slide away if you don't want it. (old Audis/Mercs). Ofcourse, you have the expensive solution as seen in Rolls Royces and Bentleys.

Wonder how they are going to implement the removal? Assigning everything to voice commands would be equally stupid. Agree with him that the obsession with screens have lead to boring interior designs. Most of the new dashboards look like glorified plastic tablet holders.

Though on the other extreme, I am okay with a small TFT display nestled between dials to show vehicle details and navigation info to be projected onto Augmented Reality ones like the new S class and other American luxury cars.

Quote:
please confirm if you are still using a cordless phone which never had any screen or a feature phone which had a very small screen. using a smartphone with a large screen. We even replaced the humble watch with a screen.
We all moved from 15 inch televisions to 32 inches to TV screens which are as big as your drawing room.
Ermm. A huge difference. You are not hurtling down the road at 40+ km/h in a ton, ton and a half of steel/glasses/plastic when using them. About the multiple aftermarket dials. Difference between information and functions.

Quote:
If you don't like it, we can ask the manufacturer to provide a button to turn it off.
We can't specifically ask them on an individual basis. Mass market demands are often fad driven or even lead on by the companies. And will take time to knock some sense.

BTW. Stellantis. Was it the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Grand Wagoneer? The sheer amount of screens. (Though I like that type of approach than the single vertical screen on centre that does it all)
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 11:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

Not completely devoid of screens, but, an analog instrument cluster, center console with ergonomically & intuitively positioned dials & tactile buttons to control the A/c, the music-system, the 4x2/4x4 mode selection etc, are all necessary - because instead of being distracted while gazing to operate the screens in the car, people develop muscle memory and the haptic feedback helps to reserve focus on the driving.

It lends massively to the experience & sense of occasion of driving & operating a car.
GrammarNazi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:14   #13
BHPian

Screens do have a space on a car dashboard. However, what is very concerning is shifting essential HVAC controls and other vehicle functions to those displays. Dials and buttons already solved the problem of ergonomics for the driver and manufacturers are now just trying to digitise something that is fine as is.

Adding to this, the touch displays really have to be high quality units. We can't be stabbing the screen multiple times to get it to register input. It really has to be smartphone level smooth, otherwise it becomes a safety hazard rather than a convenience.

Case in point: I always thought the centre display was essential for a modern driving experience. I drive a friend's Nexon on a road trip and felt the unit was too fussy when it came to connecting my phone's Android Auto to use Maps and music. I actually missed my SX4's 2-din unit with all the buttons while I just mount the smartphone and plug in the AUX for music.

Simplicity should be the aim, not complication.
BrabarusMark is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2022, 14:51   #14
BHPian

Already HUD has started showing up. Instead of screens these HUDs with buttons might be the solution.

Remember the technologies used in Avatar movie for projecting information and transferring it to another device. Something like that also is a possibility. This technology is now adopted in Indian films also.

So I guess these two might take over the current LED/HD display.
Old 2nd July 2022, 16:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The other thing is, I like the feel of tactile switches. In planes and boats you will find a lot of screens, some touch screen. But any function that is really relevant to controlling the plane/boat is always done via separate switches.

This is my main hate when comes to these displays in cars. Very little thought about usability, safety and so on, has been put into it. It seems they just bunged in a screen and crammed in as many old analogue functions as they can and do away with switch gear.
Wonderful point/observation. I know I never needed a digital screen in my last car and if any extra non-driving feature was needed, my phone did that for me. After reading your post, I do feel basic switches with dedicated functionality are more useful and important than anything else.

Perhaps some custom car build house will offer this stripping down of screens as a feature/offering soon

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks