Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2022, 19:40   #16
SSO
BHPian

Re: Your experience of being pulled over by a cop abroad

A number of years ago I got pulled over by a Spanish cop on the A5 highway in-between Lisbon and Madrid. I was driving a silver 911 Turbo on British license plates. As it was a road I had driven a few times, I knew where the police had speed traps set up and I had slowed down well in advance. I knew he didn't have me for speeding but was basically getting pulled for having British plates (which sadly is not that uncommon in Spain back then). When he came up to the car, I pretended that I didn't speak any Spanish and just handed him the British registration, insurance card, and a US driver's license. He took it all away and then came back about 15 minutes later, tossed the US drivers license at me and said "no valid" in Spain (which is actually not the case, you can drive on a US license in Spain). Before he could say anything else, I gave him my German driver's license and a Portuguese residency card. He disappeared again for another 15 minutes, came back, walked around the car twice looking for broken lights or just about anything he could get me on, before tossing al the documents on the passenger seat and telling me to basically get lost. I guess he was looking for a easy mark for beer and Tapas money and just got frustrated that he wasn't going to get it from me.
SSO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 19:54   #17
BHPian

Okay, here is a funny incident from when I was living in the US. A co-worker of mine got a citation for jumping a stop sign. Later when he came home, he saw that the cop has mis-spelt the street name of the violation as "Propect St" (instead of "Prospect St") so he tried to pull a smart one by challenging it in the court that no such street exists in the town. I tried to talk him out of it but he was quite smug and sure that he is doing a smart thing. Later on the hearing date, I saw him come back with a long face and asked about it and he sheepishly told that the judge dismissed his case within minutes with a "Do you think I am a fool? Don't waste my time like this. DOUBLE FINE!"
CosmicWizard is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 20:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistOfFate! View Post
You can take a person out of the village, but not the village out of a person.

With this quote in mind, I started negotiating with the cops, asking them to excuse me for the unmindful violations and promised not to commit them again.
Sorry to be critical but this mentality is what lead you to these incidents in the first place. I am assuming that you did not take any driving lessons in Europe, because the first thing they teach you during lessons is to look ahead and read the signboards to follow them, no matter what the navigation tells you.

While I had my Indian license swapped for a Dutch license, I did take a few driving lessons, despite having driven in India for 9 years at that time. It was not required by law, but I wanted to learn and apply the rules as there are some things that cannot be learnt from books/internet. Due to the lessons, never have I gone in the wrong lane or violated a traffic rule in 3 years of driving within EU.

Unfortunately, in the quest of saving money, a lot of Indians who benefit from the license exchange scheme never take lessons and end up in such situations. While the problems of assessing a situation by converting local currency to INR while living in a foreign country is a topic for a different discussion, hopefully you've learnt your lesson and if you've still not done so- please go read the theory and get some driving lessons.

Last edited by govindremesh : 13th August 2022 at 20:48.
govindremesh is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 00:02   #19
BHPian

The below episode took place with my brother back in 2019.

It was the annual pilgrimage time and as per the protocol, there were a lot of police personnels spread all over the city.

My brother used to work as an instrumentation engineer at Security Forces Hospital in Makkah which was exclusively to serve the employees of Army, Police and Civil Defense. The hospital is about 8kms from his residence which involves a drive of 7kms on the highway. The last leg of the commute involves a U-turn on the same highway to reach his workplace.

On that memorable day, he was getting late to his office and therefore overspeeding. As he knew the exact locations of all the three overspeeding cameras on the way, he was confidently slowing down just before the camera and resuming the speed after crossing it. In the height of the moment, he forgot about the presence of police forces all around the city. Once on the highway, he took the farthest left lane (which is the lane with the highest speed limit).

Your experience of being pulled over by a cop abroad-saher.jpg

Halfway through the journey, he saw a police patrolling Toyota FJ Cruiser tailgating him with its beacon lights on. As is the rule, my brother switched to the second track thinking that the police man wanted space to overtake. Surprisingly, he continued tailgating even in the second track.

At this point, my brother started commenting on the sanity of the police man as he didn't overtake even after giving him his right of way. After waiting for a few moments, my brother switched back to left most lane to continue his speed with the police man right behind him. Soon after, a second patrolling FJ cruiser with all its lights and siren switched on overtook both of them and blocked my brother's path. This is when my brother realized that he has been busted and started to slow down.

Name:  96640e06144d4b3182f3627b9f1363c3_16x9_600x338.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  27.5 KB

Coincidentally, the position at which all three had stopped on the highway was exactly opposite to my brother's workplace.

Your experience of being pulled over by a cop abroad-screenshot_20220813_150727.jpg

Once all three of them had stopped, one of the police man (who will be hereby referred as P1 ) from the FJ cruiser ahead deboarded his vehicle and stood at our vehicle's front bumper. The second policeman from the FJ cruiser at the rear ( who will be hereby referred as P2) walked up to his window and asked in Arabic "Hey gentle man, why are you over speeding"?

My brother just replied that he works there pointing towards the hospital and further added saying it's an emergency.
Interestingly, the plot twisted as P2 turned towards P1 and said "this guy is a doctor in this hospital and it's an emergency". Hearing this, P1 replied quickly "Let him go, Let him go".
Furthermore, P2 asked him to drive slow and left him.

This is how security forces hospital saved my brother from any disciplinary action. It was pure luck for the police to misunderstand my brother as a doctor. Or else, we can't even think of the list of offences that would have been slapped against him including disobedience with law enforcement authorities.

Hats off to the Saudi police who showed their way of gratitude to their healthcare worker
2TR-FE is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 00:26   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Having lived and worked in numerous countries as well as travelling over many parts of this world for over 45 years I have been pulled over by cops multiple times. Never a huge thing though.

Once some friend and I were travelling to Barcelona, Spain. We got pulled over by the Guardia Civil. Very imposing cops, with big machine guns. Apparently, we had gone through a red light. Us, being Dutch, start to argue of course. Problem was nobody of us spoke Spanish. Long story short, we got a fine.

When we lived in Kansans City I once got pulled over by a cop. All of a sudden I see these flashing light Indy rear view mirror. So I pull over, hands on the steering wheel until the cops comes over and tells me to wind down the window. Apperently, I had been speeding. Honestly, I would not know, but you don’t argue with Kansas Cops. So I get a ticket, not sure, $35 or so. What I had not realised the cops inform your insurance company and my premium goes up too!

In Germany I once was pulled over for not coming to complete stop, before turning into a road. It was one of these STOP signs. I know you have to come to a complete stop, but I gently rolled through. Perfectly fine, good visibility on the road, but there was an unmarked cop car behind me. Now, being Dutch you always joke with German cops, because they, so legend has it, have no humour, and more importantly, by law. If they observe you committing an offence have to fine you. So you might as well get your money’s worth.

Obviously, I have several encounters with Dutch cops and you always argue. Not negotiate, just argue they are wrong, it’s a ridiculous rule anyway. Dutch cops are pretty cool and as long as you treat them reasonable and with a bit of humour you will be fine. I drive around in classic cars with illegal registration plates. Because they look better. So the cops ask me if I know these plates are illegal. I tell them of course I know, but they still have the correct registration number, and these illegal plates look so much better on these classi pc cars anyway. So what is the harm , even if I am breaking the law? So they tell me to change the plates, when I get home. Obviously, I will tell them I will. But it is very well understand by the cops and me I will never do so ! This is how policing should work!

My wife was very apprehensive about being pulled over by the cops in the US. She never ever fully trusted the American cops. Partly, because some idiot decided that all US cops need to wear Nazi-alike uniforms!

I have also been pulled over in an aircraft by the DEA and was facing dozens of cops with guns trained on us. Different story, but obviously in the USA.

Then there was the time I got pulled over by cops in Delhi. But that doesn’t count on this thread I guess.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 05:57   #21
BHPian

Not a highway stop but was detained.i was staying in Mountain View California and one day I finished early at office. Upon return to hotel I was testing out the nearby attractions feature in Google maps. One thing that popped up was a aircraft museum right across the freeway from me. I took my rental car, put on Google to guide me and off I drove into a NASA facility. I was stopped by security, asked to pull over to the side as I didn't have a staff sticker. Now, in California you can drive on an Indian license without an IDP, unfortunately the cop on security duty was of a different opinion and said they don't have arrest powers, so I should wait with my hands at 10-2 position on the wheel, engine off, no calls. And, they called it in to the Mountain View police. Those cops took nearly 20 mins to come over, checked my license and said all in order. Apologized, guided me to the museum and left after good day etc. Later learnt that many folks are not aware of rules and are surprised when you tell them so. It surely pays not to panic, stay in the vehicle, answer only what is asked for and no sudden movements. If you do want something, it is better to announce saying "officers I am reaching for my bag or officer I need something from glove box etc" . Don't reach if they say no. Also never bargain or argue.
skrao is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 07:34   #22
BHPian

Got pulled over once for driving with my high beams on the way to NYC from Boston, but was let go with a warning, probably cause the officer was in a happy mood as the RedSox had won the world series a few minutes back . Second time was fined 400$ for parking the car facing the opposite direction in Lake Tahoe. Aplogized to the cop, but she said she said she cant help as she had already raised the ticket. In Bangalore, had to pay 500 Rs fine for speeding, was doing 63Kmph on a stretch marked for 60Kmph! Pretty much the entire offence list in the last 24 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrao View Post
Now, in California you can drive on an Indian license without an IDP, unfortunately the cop on security duty was of a different opinion
Actually I am surprised this happened in the bay area. I remember an incident from early 2000s where I tried pointing out something in my Indian Licenese to the old lady at the Hertz counter in SJC and she goes - I know how to read an Indian license son, thats pretty much what I see these days, welcome to san jose! - It left me flushed and drew a few smiles from fellow desi's around me

Last edited by vb-saan : 14th August 2022 at 08:23. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you!
SR-71 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 09:20   #23
BHPian

Some rules are not obvious. I once got pulled over in th US because I went past a patrol vehicle on the adjacent lane it was parked on. The rule is, if a patrol has lights turned on, you must leave the next lane clear for the patrol to enter without delay. Being a temporary visitor from India driving a rental, I was completely unaware. The cop was friendly and let me pass with a warning.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 18:42   #24
BHPian

Not a pull over incident as such but just an incident with the French police in Paris.

It was my first time in Paris this year and I had rented a Fiat 500 manual. It was my 2nd day in Paris and we were returning back to the Airbnb. 500 metres away from the place was a traffic signal and I had earlier seen the Environment Police car in my rear view mirror. The signal was green and I was under 30 (which is the speed limit in that zone) but suddenly the signal turned red and I braked but overshot the signal a bit. The cop car was just behind and I saw 2 of them get down and come to me. I stayed still expecting a fine but they just asked me to pull back in their broken English. I just did that and said Sorry and by that time the signal was green again. Phew! I really thought they would fine me.
ronford is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 19:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
been pulled over in an aircraft by the DEA and was facing dozens of cops with guns trained on us.
Now, you have sparked the curiosity, might as well narrate the whole incident
vagabond128 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 19:52   #26
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skrao View Post
I was stopped by security, asked to pull over to the side as I didn't have a staff sticker. Now, in California you can drive on an Indian license without an IDP, unfortunately the cop on security duty was of a different opinion and said they don't have arrest powers, so I should wait with my hands at 10-2 position on the wheel, engine off, no calls.
This probably happened because of the security cop. Highway patrol are pretty much used to seeing Indian licenses on California roads.

My experience:
Dec, 2018.
I was doing 70 on a 50 stretch inspired by seeing some of the supercars and superbikes at a popular meet up in the California Bay area. Just like the way it happens in India, the cops were hiding somewhere on a downhill stretch and the next thing I see is flashing lights. After the usual license & registration check, the cop asked me to visit court sometime in Feb 2019. I mentioned am a visitor on a Business visa and will be heading back in a couple of weeks. I don't think she was in a listening mood. She gave me a ticket and asked me to appear promptly.
I nodded my head and drove away. I couldn't make it to the US in Feb or that year. So I don't know whatever happened to that ticket. My recent trip to US was in June this year (after the Covid hiatus) and I had this feeling that I'll be flagged/stopped because of that ticket and for no show in the court. Stayed there for 3 weeks, nothing happened.
JVH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 20:04   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My wife was very apprehensive about being pulled over by the cops in the US. She never ever fully trusted the American cops. Partly, because some idiot decided that all US cops need to wear Nazi-alike uniforms!
Jeroen
US cops in Nazi alike uniforms!!. But then I googled and found that Kansas Highway patrol uniform does look like a Nazi one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond128 View Post
Now, you have sparked the curiosity, might as well narrate the whole incident
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post5315565 (Gun Ownership)

Here it is in detail.
DicKy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 21:52   #28
BHPian

I have been pulled over by US cops about 2-3 times in last 20 years for minor speeding violations. However, here is the unique one:

Back in 2014 or so, my cousin bought a property on water - Inlet from sea and bought a nice boat and jet ski as well. One fine morning, I took jet ski out and was doing donuts. All of a sudden, water cops came over. Someone complained and I was pulled over by water cops as apparently where I was doing donuts was a No Wake Zone meaning - there can’t be any wakes left behind your water vessel.

I was given a ticket and asked to appear in court. Took Boater’s license classes and got boater’s license before court date and ticket was cancelled.
Old 15th August 2022, 16:20   #29
BHPian

1) The first incident happened back in 2018 when I was in Ecuador doing my Master's thesis. We had gone to this place called Montanita - a local party hub and we were returning in a friend's car (a new Mexican-made Nissan Sunny). The designated driver who doesn't drink stayed sober. Anyway, on the way back, we were stopped by some local cops (since they knew we were returning from Montanita) and the person driving the car was asked to blow into a breath analyzer which showed that he was sober. Despite that, he was asked to step outside the car and he was out for maybe 20 - 25 minutes before he came back $20 lighter despite being sober but that's just how things work over there

2) Since the topic doesn't say "pulled over in a car", there was this incident in Belgium when a friend and I were riding our bicycles through the city of Ghent. It was after dark and it is required by law for bicycles to have front and tail lights. While I had working lights on my bicycle but my friend didn't. As we were riding, there is an S-bend near our dorms at the beginning of which I noticed a portable traffic camera that wasn't there before. As we came out of the bend, there were a couple of patrol cars that had stopped a lot of bicycles - it seemed almost like a crackdown. My friend was asked to stop and I stayed with her. The cops were really nice, especially since we were international students and explained to my friend the dangers of riding in the dark about the dangers of riding in the dark without lights. Anyway, she was given a fine of €80 - more expensive that the old used bicycle she was riding.

3) The third incident was in Spain back in 2017 when I was doing an internship in a small village called Sant Carles De La Rapita - about 250 km south of Barcelona. Me and my flatmate - an Italian guy had gone to a pizzeria to get dinner. Just as we got out and started the car (a Peugeot 208 with Italian plates), a Mossos (Catalonian police) patrol car stopped us and said that we had parked the car on the kerb. Now this was true but that is how all cars had parked on the kerb in that street as the street was very narrow and even parking the 208 on the road would've pretty much blocked the road. The cops asked for a spot fine of €100 (spot fine because it can't be added to the plates as the Italians generally don't process fines from other EU countries). My flatmate being Italian offcourse, protested and called the cops 'thieves' in Spanish I was literally asking the guy to relax but being European, my flatmate's protests actually works and they reduced the fine to €50 'without receipt'.
dragracer567 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2022, 20:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Collectively I have driven in Germany and a bit of EU for around two years. Out of all these, I have only been pulled over once by the cops for a funny reason. I was driving as a part of work and had a Merc S class AMG with me. For around 40kms, the intention was to not change lanes and follow vehicles as far as possible since we were testing something on the vehicle. So I was on the right lane or center lane of the Autobahn when I saw a patrol vehicle(unmarked ones which silently monitor for offenders) start following me. I didnt realise it was a police vehicle for a while since there was no marking nor any lights flashing. I continued driving for a while after which they turn on an LED board inside the car which reflects the words "Polizei" in German and we have to pull over in a rest area.

I did that promptly and the police came up to me and curious to know if I was drunk or under some other influence. I explained that I was driving for work and didnt do anything wrong. Then they told me that they were surprised to see such a car being driven relatively slow and not overtaking any car and hence assumed I was not in my senses Then they took a peek into the car, complimented it and left after a casual chit chat.

The only other time I had a cop encounter while in Austria was when I tried to enter a city to bypass traffic jam on the autobahn. The cops were standing right at the beginning of the exit and asked my final destination. When they realised it was out of the city I was trying to enter, they politely asked me to reverse and continue on the autobahn. This was done for every car which was trying this trick.
audioholic is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks