Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2022, 13:21   #1
Senior - BHPian

R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car

Audi recently unveiled a special limited edition iteration of its iconic R8 V10 sports car.

The new Audi R8 V10 GT RWD is said to be the final edition of the sports car to feature the V10 power unit. Audi had previously hinted that it would be ending production of the 5.2-litre naturally-aspirated V10 engine to focus on its electrification goals of the future.

R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car-audir8gtrwd1.jpeg

The new R8 GT is limited to just 333 units. The new RWD mid-engined sports car comes with increased power and more aero while shedding 20 kg of weight to help make it the most powerful version of the road-going R8.

R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car-audir8gtrwd4.jpeg

The V10 engine on the final iteration R8 produces 618 BHP and 565 Nm, a bump-up from the 568 BHP on the standard version. The engine revs up to 8,700 rpm, allowing the R8 GT to sprint from 0 - 100 km/h in 3.4 seconds and achieving a top speed of 320 km/h. Audi has also updated the 7-speed dual-clutch transmission on the R8 GT, which is now said to have faster shift times and revised gear ratios for better acceleration.

R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car-audir8gtrwd2.jpeg

In terms of design, the new R8 GT's four rings at the front and the badging at the rear are finished in black. It also gets an aerodynamic body kit, plenty of carbon fibre bits, and a special Matte Suzuka Grey paint scheme - a nod to the original R8 GT. The final iteration comes in Daytona Grey and Tango Red Metallic colour options. The car runs on 20-inch forged wheels with Michelin Cup 2 tyres and gets carbon ceramic brakes as standard.

R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car-audir8gtrwd3.jpg

Inside, the 2022 R8 GT gets red accents, reminiscent of the original 2010 version. There is also a numbered plaque highlighting its limited availability. The new Audi R8 GT also gets bucket seats, carbon fibre roll bars and plenty of other exclusive bits all around.

The new Audi R8 GT RWD is priced at 225,000 euros, with deliveries starting in 2023.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 11th October 2022 at 13:24.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 16:01   #2
BHPian

Re: R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car

R.I.P. This engine sounds utterly glorious and has been the flag bearer of natural aspiration (along with the Lexus LFA V10). I am so lucky to have heard the exhaust note of an R8 V10 on a trip to the USA.

Saying this makes me sound much older than my actual age, but they're definitely not going to make them like this anymore. With the internal combustion engine steadily being phased out, we are left with a limited amount of time to buy a new internal combustion engine car (especially those of my generation who haven't come of age, like me).

An R8 V10 has always been on my extensive list of dream cars (ever since I saw Iron Man's), along with those of many other people, I'm sure. I have an insane amount of respect for it as a relatively sober-looking supercar. Hats off to this incredible car! It surely won't be forgotten anytime soon.

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 11th October 2022 at 16:04.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2022, 17:14   #3
BHPian

R.I.P to one of the most iconic cars of all times. A car with a V10 is a rare thing in itself, but a V10 with a manual makes this car much more special.

Some might say it's a rebadged Lamborghini. It is in a good way. This car replicated the soul of the Lamborghini while being much more usable and relatively cheaper.

Thank you Audi, for giving us this iconic car.
MDH75 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 09:29   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A sports car that was also surprisingly easy to live with, in terms of practicality. Audi hit the nail on its head with the R8. I had the pleasure of driving an R8 with a gated manual shift & it was heavenly, even on Bombay roads. The next-gen version will be fully electric and while it will surely be lightning quick, it'll never match the pleasure of the 8 / 10-cylinder versions.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2022, 11:44   #5
BHPian

The end of an Era for this V10 screamer. It honestly was always underrated compared to its competition which never got the praise it deserved.
The car always reminds me of how Robert Downey Jr (Tony Stark) vogues this around in the Iron Man movies.

I'm lucky that my neighbor owns a V10 R8 and have heard the cold start to its screams as well.

R.I.P. Audi R8: Final edition marks the end of the V10 sports car-img_4987.jpg

Cheers,
Amey
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks