Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2022, 14:02   #1
Team-BHP Support

Convertibles / Roadsters segment is dying | Sales in US & Europe down 80% since 2005

Just came across this Doug Demuro review of Maruti 1000 (aka Suzuki Swift) convertible:

Doug mentioned that folks in America are no longer buying convertibles. Did some Googling and discovered that marketshare of convertibles in both US/Europe is now in decimals.

Name:  Screenshot_2.png
Views: 394
Size:  36.9 KB

Reasons for decline of convertibles:

- Convertibles are mostly sedans with roof chopped off. But there is general decline in sales of sedans in favour of compact SUVs
- Panoramic sunroof gives the same airy feeling
- Rise in petty crime in United States.

Convertibles drive into the sunset as automakers invest in electric vehicles
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/24/conv...-evs-suvs.html

Last edited by SmartCat : 27th November 2022 at 14:04.
SmartCat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 14:11   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
re: Convertibles / Roadsters segment is dying | Sales in US & Europe down 80% since 2005

Isnt that so sad?
There really is nothing like driving a nice car with the top down on a crisp and sunny day.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 15:24   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Convertibles / Roadsters segment is dying | Sales in US & Europe down 80% since 2005

Very similar trend in Europe. To the surprise of many, the UK has always been the largest market for convertibles. They see a very similar decline, although I think it is a bit more recent.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...t-weather.html

Of course, the UK is the original home to the classic rag top sports car. Every British Car Manufacturer (and there used to be lots) made rag top sports cars. In most cases, proper rag tops, designed from the ground up to be without a roof. Rather then chopping the roof of a sedan.

The above article provides two reasons for the decline; cost of living and also change of climate, too hot/sunny summers. You can easily drive a rag top car top down in drizzle and drain, you won’t get wet. But driving it under a blazing hot sun can be quite the challenge for many. Especially our pale Brits. No amount of sun tan lotion will make up for centuries of not being in the sun.

Obviously, I drive my 1986 Alfa Romeo Spider top down always, rain, snow, frost or sun. It doesn’t matter. Why get a soft top if you don’t drive it top down?

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:08   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Convertibles / Roadsters segment is dying | Sales in US & Europe down 80% since 2005

Easy to see why. Car sales (i.e. hatchbacks & sedans) are down across the board, and SUVs / Crossovers don't come with convertibles. Not 90% of them anyway. SUVs & crossovers have also made "practicality" a top priority for customers; 2-doors & convertibles are anything but.

Regardless, to make a small contribution to the cause, I recently bought a 2-door convertible . As Shankar said, nothing quite like open-top cruising when the weather is good. I prefer doing so in the evenings & late night.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 10:09   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Convertibles / Roadsters segment is dying | Sales in US & Europe down 80% since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
, to make a small contribution to the cause, I recently bought a 2-door convertible .

Well, if we look at it in another angle, actually it would be contributing to the decline of the convertible/ roadster segment. An open top jeep still belongs to the villain SUV segment.

Waiting to customise it before unveiling it to us?
DicKy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 11:01   #6
BHPian

Theft is a major problem in USA. They don't even leave catalytic converters which are difficult to remove, how are general people going to safeguard stereos, seats and personal belongings. This is a societal change rather than anything else.

Theft is such a big problem there(even 10-12 years back) that shampoos and liquid washing detergents are poured in hidden bottles carried inside the stores by customers leaving behind empty bottles on aisles.

I have also felt that Europe in general has become much warm(in 2018 compared to 2008) and that may be a huge factor plus increasing income disparity, like UK where general populace is now less wealthy than before.
Sran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 18:39   #7
BHPian

I guess the change is also contributed by the large sunroofs which cars/ crossovers these days come with. A panoramic sunroof can give you both wind in the air when you need it and a closed safe cocoon otherwise - that too in a 5/7 seater form.

So there`s no incentive to compromise on seating space and luggage space for just extra sunlight and wind for a few days in the year. When it comes to sports cars, purists will anyday prefer a hard top to give that extra but of torsional rigidity. Hence eventually the actual daily users to convertibles are the ones left buying this body form.
vivekz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 22:19   #8
BHPian

I was in Liverpool, the UK last July for a training. My preceptor has three cars, one of them being a convertible from Audi. He did not seem to like that car much as he always brought his electric car from BMW to take me around occasionally. On asking him why he did not like his convertible, he answered in one sentence "its too noisy".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks