Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2022, 23:02   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Software-centric automobiles | Boon or Bane?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
Sharing a common bus is not the same as being accessible or configurable. A sensor is a output, so you can take them out of the picture here, software don't alter their behavior. Counting all semiconductors as processors is similarly faulty logic.
Think about things that can be altered, like disabling ABS, but that does not disable the brakes.
So the system won't accept a command to disable brakes, or switch off a sensor, they are not built into the system. Hence, a belief that more sensors and semiconductor leads to less control or chances of externally contrloed cars has no basis.

I would be the first to admit I am, these days, just an old, propably partly senile, git, but I have no clue as to what you are banging on about?

Let me tell you one thing though, in more than forty years of having dealt with software development in some of the most critical mission areas (Aeronautical, Missiles, Telecoms) I have yet to find bug free software. And I am still meeting people that will tell me: Oh, don’t worry, the system won’t accept that command.

And that is before we start looking at the total system architecture beyond just the software.

I love automation and software. I am currently looking into how we are going to apply quantum computing to various industries. Still a long way to go. But guess what, if my grandson would follow in my steps, forty years from now he will still meet a guy that tells him:Oh, don’t worry, the system won’t accept that command. And the guy will still be wrong.

I consider myself a hard core techie. But I am hugely sceptical about relying on technology without understanding the technology fully. You are talking to a guy who will check the output of his scientific calculator with a slide rule. I am also still using a sextant to check my GPS. And guess what? I find the occasional error in these software base machines. No big accomplishment, it is a statistical given!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 13:32   #32
BHPian

Apple has already shown a prototype of how it intends to control the core of the car. Software will become a lot more important than it is today with more sensors being packed inside a car. With lesser mechanical components being the norm once EV is mainstream, software will pretty much dominate the car. Cars will be able to communicate with other cars and that will surely in the long run make driving safer. Autonomous driving is just one part of the tech and many are right that we will never see it become mainstream in India due to
Our infrastructure and driving capabilities. The entire driving license process needs to be overhauled for us to be ready for autonomous which I don’t see in the next 50 years.
Old 15th December 2022, 14:33   #33
BHPian

If you have got used to app-updates, OS updates on our phones, and we alter our usage based on the new software, then what's so different in a car that also is just like that?

Nothing at all my dear friends.

Just some examples:
1. I like manual beacuse it lets me control everything. Most people have gone from here to auto and actually love it.
2. I like carb engines - no electronics for me. Remember the enfields which were converted back from FI to Carb? We all have come far from that to know the benefits of FI now.

The future is definitely software driven beacuse it allows for maximum flexibility. The mobile ecosystem has shown that it's possible to maintain reliability with all the variables like possible lack of connection, low bandwidth, unstable fw etc.

In fact think about how it would work if you have a problem and you call the service folks and they tell you they are already aware of the issue and version X will be pushed to your car soon over the air. And 10 mins later you have the update and all without even leaving your house.
Old 7th April 2023, 19:47   #34
BHPian

More evidence why this is a bad idea

https://www.reuters.com/technology/t...rs-2023-04-06/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks