Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes & Bosch granted approval to open the world's first self-driving car park service

Mercedes-Benz & Bosch have received regulatory approval to open the world's first fully-automated valet for commercial use. The self-driving car park service technology was first showcased by Mercedes & Bosch in 2017. The two companies have also been testing the system at the Stuttgart Airport since 2020.

Now, Germany's Federal Motor Transport Authority has approved the technology to be used in the P6 parking garage at the Stuttgart Airport. The P6 parking garage is run by Apcoa - an airport parking management company.

Name:  WorldfirstMercedesBenzandBoschdriverlessparkingsystemapprovedforcommercialuse.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  105.4 KB

The technology allows customers to drive their cars to a designated drop-off point at the entrance, hop out and then use the Mercedes Me app to send the car to a pre-booked parking space. Bosch is said to have developed sensors all around the car park, which communicate with the car's self-driving tech. The tech also allows the car to return to the drop-off point using the same method.

Reports suggest that existing car parks, including multi-story parking lots, can be retrofitted with the sensors. Also, since the doors of the vehicle need not be opened at any stage, the cars can even be parked closer together.

The technology, however, is available only on Mercedes' flagship models, the S-Class & EQS, built after July 2022. Both come activated with an Intelligent Park Pilot feature via the Mercedes Me Connect.

The self-driving valet tech is reportedly being tested for the USA. A demonstration of the new tech was held in a Los Angeles parking lot earlier this year.

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 2nd December 2022 at 14:22.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 17:10   #2
BHPian

Re: Mercedes & Bosch granted approval to open the world's first self-driving car park service

This is impressive! If we can develop something that all makes of cars can use, it would really help get rid of the stress associated with having to give your prized possession to someone else to park. I'd like to see how its implementation turns out. Hope we can see such systems in mainstream locations someday!

Last edited by GForceEnjoyer : 2nd December 2022 at 17:12.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 01:59   #3
BHPian

Re: Mercedes & Bosch granted approval to open the world's first self-driving car park service

Bosch is really ahead in ADAS Technology. This tech has already been demoed in China over a year ago and has finally got approval to roll out. Really useful for EVs, you go to the parking lot, set it to Valet park mode, the car would automatically go to a charging station and charge itself. When it is completely charged, it would unplug automatically and move to a non-charging space. It can also wait in a non-charging space for a charging station to be available. It is revolutionary.

I have Astor and MG used the tech from Bosch in this. I have not experienced any of the downsides/niggles that Tucson or XUV700 have faced with ADAS being aggressive. I have done 50-60% of my driving via ADAS. XUV700 uses ADAS from Intel. Tucson I am not sure about.

So I believe that since this is Bosch's tech, it would be really good.

Last edited by anti21 : 3rd December 2022 at 01:59. Reason: Moved YouTube Video to end as it was showing in middle of para
anti21 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks