Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2022, 17:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai developing virtual DCT for EVs: To replicate sound & vibrations from gearshifts

Hyundai has become the latest car brand which is said to be working on developing a fake transmission system for its electric vehicles.

According to reports, the South Korean carmaker is said to be working on a virtual dual-clutch transmission (DCT), dubbed "N e-shift", which will debut on Hyundai's upcoming high-performance EV - the Ioniq 5 N. The virtual DCT is said to be part of the N brand's RN22e concept - a 'rolling lab' for future tech development.

Name:  ioniq5.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  39.6 KB

The N e-shift technology is said to replicate the overall feel of a DCT unit in a petrol-powered N model. The technology will get paddle shifters which not only match the upshift and downshift action but also mirror the engine revs right up to the rev limiter, via speakers. Hyundai aims to bring the sound and paddle shifter action of the N e-shift as close as possible to that of the DCT in the i30 N. Albert Biermann, Hyundai Executive Technical Advisor also stated that the N e-shift tech should be able to deliver the same jolt & downshift vibrations as experienced on any of the brand's ICE-powered N cars.

The Hyundai Ioniq 5 N with the new virtual DCT is expected to offer a similar in-car experience as that of the i30 N, this includes the pops and crackle sounds via external speakers. Biermann calls it the VGS mode (Virtual Grin Shift) and can be engaged by pressing a button on the steering wheel & then pulling both paddles simultaneously. The tech is currently in the stage of being fine-tuned with more features still being added.

Apart from Hyundai, Toyota/Lexus is also said to be working on offering its EVs with a fake manual transmission. The new manual gearbox tech from Toyota will be offered on Lexus EVs & other premium EV models in the brand's lineup.

Source: CarExpert

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 15th December 2022 at 17:52.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 19:23   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai developing virtual DCT for EVs: To replicate sound & vibrations from gearshifts

Would suggest waiting until we pass judgement. The EQS makes fake engine sounds which were actually quite enjoyable, while I've heard good things about the same in the Taycan too.

Never know how this DCT-like experience might turn out. Still, good news for us enthusiasts that manufacturers are actually trying to deliver "feel".

But it's only the outgoing generations that will care. The younger generation & incoming folk won't even bother about the feel of ATs. They will prioritize smooth, seamless & noiseless above all.

Last edited by GTO : 15th December 2022 at 19:24.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 20:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai developing virtual DCT for EVs: To replicate sound & vibrations from gearshifts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Hyundai has become the latest car brand which is said to be working on developing a fake transmission system for its electric vehicles.
That's good to know, but I would prefer if this is provided as an option with a provision to switch it off.
I am enjoying the noiseless, smooth vibration free drive in my EV, but would love to see some artificial mechanical feel.
speedmiester is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 21:05   #4
BHPian

On a lighter note .

Overheard in engineering meeting rooms:

Hyundai: How do we make our virtual DCTs overheat in Indian bumper to bumper traffic
VW/Skoda: How shall we make our virtual DCTs break down randomly requiring a goodwill warranty
Jeep: How might we make our virtual DCTs slow as ... ahem
lordrayden is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 21:25   #5
BHPian

Reminds me of the time when they thought touchscreen phones should have haptic feedback and should feel like using physical button phones !

Everyone knows what happened to them. People didn't care and moved on with smooth capacitive screens. First Toyota and now with Hyundai
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 00:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Reminds me of the time when they thought touchscreen phones should have haptic feedback and should feel like using physical button phones !
i
I strongly disagree, my samsung s21+ has incredibly good haptics. That makes the experience more tactile.

In a phone its a trade off of screenspace v/s actual phone size. Turns out everybody view their content full screen than have a physical keyboard like a blackberry.

In a car - its pure cost-cutting. I wont buy the excuse of haptics being more expensive to manufacture than tactile buttons.

Mclaren gives hydraulic steering and tactile buttons in its artura. Ferrari with the purosangue on the other hand... .

I wholly welcome hyundai trying out virtual DCT's and Toyota trying to make hydrogen powered engines.
shastryBLR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 10:48   #7
BANNED

Before developing virtual DCT’s Hyundai needs to develop proper regular DCT’s:

Hyundai issues stop sale and recall of their 8 speed DCT’s:

https://headtopics.com/us/hyundai-re...issio-30732468

As its the 8 speed DCT’s this affects their top of the line N models too - Elantra N, Veloster N and Kona N.

India gets only their 7 speed DCT’s and so are not affected by the recall. That is not to say that the 7 speed DCT’s are non problematic. Go over the forum and you’ll find several owners who have had problems with Seltos and Creta DCT’s.

Hyundai is doing a Volkswagen in every way - fast cars that drive well, look good, handle well and DCT’s that fail. .

Last edited by EV NXT : 16th December 2022 at 11:14.
Old 16th December 2022, 13:34   #8
BHPian

There was a tbhp news article today that Kia ev6 becomes the most reliable EV, and next news is about Hyundai developing a virtual DCT for the Ioniq. Hope this e-DCT is not plagued by the reliability issues of a mechanical DCT/DSG.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks