Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2023, 15:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

BMW invents headlight lenses which hide in the front panel; could debut on future EVs

According to reports, BMW has invented a new front fascia which integrates the grille and the headlamps behind one seamless panel. The headlights will further come with active lenses, which, when switched on, will become visible through the panel.

BMW invents headlight lenses which hide in the front panel; could debut on future EVs-bmwfrontpanel1.jpg

Reports state that instead of having the front grille panel & the headlights under separate units, BMW could cover the entire front end in a single smooth panel. The LED DRLs and the headlights will be behind the panel, which can be switched from opaque to transparent whenever required. The new front panel is currently in its patent stage, which, if entered into production, could debut on BMW's next-generation EVs.

With EVs not requiring an air intake, unlike their IC-engine-powered counterparts, the front kidney grille on BMW EVs is purely to retain the brand's identity. Hence, BMW engineers are said to be proposing a multi-layer panel to carry both the signature of an EV while also displaying different interpretations of the kidney grille, based on the model. This will also allow the headlights to be positioned behind a protective screen, reducing the chances of damage to its high-tech laser light emitters.

BMW invents headlight lenses which hide in the front panel; could debut on future EVs-bmwfrontpanel2.jpg

Also, as seen from the patent sketches, BMW designers will be able to create separately-illuminated grille shapes while incorporating different accents to help differentiate the models and trims. It will also give designers the chance to come up with distinctive DRL designs for each model.

Source: CarBuzz

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 19th January 2023 at 15:32.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 16:43   #2
BHPian

Re: BMW invents headlight lenses which hide in the front panel; could debut on future EVs

This looks like an absolutely horrendous design. BMW gave us such classic beauties and now we have to endure such blatant assault on our senses? I thought Chris Bangle designs were bad, but the new BMW designers seem to be hell-bent on coming up with uglier designs with each passing day. It looks to be inspired by the Stormtroopers' face from Star Wars.

Please BMW, just because you don't need a grill doesn't mean you have to make it ugly. Just go back to some of your classic designs. The twin headlamps and kidney grills had such appeal, such passion, such simplicity, that it stole hearts and ensured a place on my wall as poster. I just cannot imagine any kid finding this beautiful and putting a poster of it up on his wall.
Ritkon is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 16:50   #3
BHPian

Re: BMW invents headlight lenses which hide in the front panel; could debut on future EVs

Thanks BMW, this solves the problem that never existed in the first place and without lights, it looks like blind car. BMW customers or aspiring BMW customers wanted many things I doubt if this invention ever comes handy in next 25 years. I wish they could focus on better charging speeds, longer range, batter pack that doesnt lose it's charging capacity, or better water resistance etc. Instead we end up seeing this

</rant>
ramki.grandhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 18:09   #4
BHPian

Introducing too many point of failures for an essential feature. I'm not going to judge the design, because it might look cool on a production ready car (who knows). But what if one of the things which needs your headlight to work goes kaput? It is already difficult for latest cars, this "feature" would ensure changing bulb becomes impossible.

This is just over-engineering. There are thousand ways to keep the old design on an EV. They should go back and learn from their old i8 design.
prajwalmr62 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 19:07   #5
BHPian

Atleast now we can paint over that grill(or entire bumper) to get the design of our liking. Thanks BMW ,if you can’t do it , we can.
Old 19th January 2023, 19:17   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Also, as seen from the patent sketches, BMW designers will be able to create separately-illuminated grille shapes while incorporating different accents to help differentiate the models and trims. It will also give designers the chance to come up with distinctive DRL designs for each model.
So the number of vertical strips and distance between the vertical strips will determine the model of the car ?
Old 19th January 2023, 20:20   #7
BHPian

Business Idea: Put ads on the billboard that passes for a front grille
anandhsub is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 20:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

And what happens if you just keep the headlights visible? This is over engineering with zero help for drivers. I don't see how this helps or is even considered a feature. What's up with the EVs, they are supposed to make life simpler, instead they look like machines from 'Total Recall' movie!
Old 19th January 2023, 20:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritkon View Post
It looks to be inspired by the Stormtroopers' face from Star Wars.
I may be in the minority, but Stormtroopers are wallpaper material for me. Please don't insult them by comparing to this monstrosity.

On the other hand, third image is giving Rolls Royce vibes.
professortarzan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 09:43   #10
BHPian

I'd rather sit in the cabin of my car with a torch in my hand rather than having such a horrid front facia and torturing everyone on the road! Don't know what happened to the designers at BMW, they are absolutely killing it (quite literally).
Old 20th January 2023, 10:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

I mean what else was BMW not doing when they were busy investing a problem for the solution? With them being so far back in the EV race, they need to be laser focussed on costs and scale and instead what we get is this and that color changing paint!
Old 20th January 2023, 10:29   #12

I'm going to add another perspective here. Let's ignore the hideous design for a minute. The mazdas and other cars with pop-up headlights had their charm. Clean design without the headlights being visible, and then they pop-up when needed.

Maybe someday, the designers could come with with a clean VW-like design - clean lines, with no visible headlamps. But boom! They become visible when needed.

The digital super-ugly grill is useless, I agree. But maybe it could be used for something else. Like a digital display of sorts. Or maybe show up as 'Available' or 'Occupied' on a taxi, or show the destination in a commercial vehicle. Or maybe even allow users to customize the display.

So as a BMW design, I hate it. But maybe this is concept that other EV manufacturers could use.
Old 20th January 2023, 10:31   #13
BHPian

I never liked it when BMW shifted from the traditional chic kidney grilles to the gauche monstrosity which they later adapted.

Now they seem to be insistent on putting lipstick on the pig.
RedTerrano is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 11:12   #14
BHPian

I think the grill may not have to look like that. It could just be for demo purpose and can change to the decent kidney grill. Also with this they can let customers customize how the grill ultimately looks by giving a blank surface like that.

Looks like it was wearing sun glasses and removed it later
Old 20th January 2023, 11:58   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

So after the emblems, they are going to make the whole front end of cars flat and featureless so that they can project 2D stuff into it???

Not long before you are a running billboard if you have not 'subscribed' for discreet package.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks