Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2023, 16:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

Audi could rename its model range to help differentiate its ICE car from EVs

According to a media report, Audi could be working towards renaming its entire model lineup to make it easier for customers to differentiate its ICE-powered cars from its EV range.

As per reports, even-numbered vehicles will transition to an all-electric powertrain. Based on this, Audi's A4 could be renamed the A5 & will get a sedan and Avant version. Audi is expected to discontinue the current A5 Sportback. Similarly, another report also claims that the Audi A6 will become the A7.

Audi could rename its model range to help differentiate its ICE car from EVs-audia41.jpg

Audi will also continue to use the "e-tron" suffix for its EVs, similar to its current lineup, including the Q4 e-tron, Q4 Sportback e-tron, Q8 e-tron and Q8 Sportback e-tron. Audi will reportedly, at some point, introduce an A6 e-tron and an A8 e-tron as well.

The odd-numbered ICE-powered vehicles will also continue to be offered with S-badged versions.

Audi has already confirmed that its final new pure ICE-powered car will come in 2025, with all models from 2026 being only EVs. The company has also stated that it will discontinue petrol and diesel vehicles from its lineup entirely in 2033.

Source: AutoExpress

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 10th March 2023 at 16:54.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 17:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Audi could rename its model range to help differentiate its ICE car from EVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Based on this, Audi's A4 could be renamed the A5 & will get a sedan and Avant version. Audi is expected to discontinue the current A5 Sportback. Similarly, another report also claims that the Audi A6 will become the A7.
A6 becoming A7? Isn't A6 a sedan and A7, a coupé? How did it jump up a segment without having to do anything!

'I have the A7.'

'New A7 that used to be A6?'

'Nah nah, this is the A7 that was a coupé'

It would be so difficult to have conversations about these models in future. They should have just moved on to a different naming scheme altogether, like Mercedes got rid of ML and started the GLx.

Quote:
Audi has already confirmed that its final new pure ICE-powered car will come in 2025, with all models from 2026 being only EVs. The company has also stated that it will discontinue petrol and diesel vehicles from its lineup entirely in 2033.
Great! In a couple of years, we will get rid of their confusing variant names. 1.5L engine = 35TFSI, multiple xxTFSI = 2.0L petrol and 50TDI = 3.0L diesel - which are all confusing as heck. I know BMW does the same thing with 20i, 30i etc but I really think the badge should have some correlation with the engine and manufacturers should stop confusing customers so much.
HighRevving is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th March 2023, 09:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Audi could rename its model range to help differentiate its ICE car from EVs

The new nomenclature turns the long standing line-up A4, A6, A8 on its head, with the legacy models essentially 'making way' for the electric revolution. Message is loud and clear.
GeeTee TSI is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 09:29   #4
BHPian

I'm yet to learn their current nomenclature of the numbers 35,45 etc having no reference to the actual engine capacity.
More homework gets piled up with the further proposed changes!
Old 12th March 2023, 14:15   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemedico View Post
I'm yet to learn their current nomenclature of the numbers 35,45 etc having no reference to the actual engine capacity
You are right, it is not easy to correlate the engine capacity with the badging.

Let me put a table here which shows the mapping, for quick reference:-

Audi could rename its model range to help differentiate its ICE car from EVs-3efa8e73db0e40dd92f2c4652f27cdc9.png
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2023, 15:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to a media report, Audi could be working towards renaming its entire model lineup to make it easier for customers to differentiate its ICE-powered cars from its EV range.

...Audi's A4 could be renamed the A5 & will get a sedan and Avant version. Audi is expected to discontinue the current A5 Sportback. Similarly, another report also claims that the Audi A6 will become the A7.
Looks like those reports were released 22 days too early!

Considering how fast VW Group is electrifying their portfolio, there's really not much time left for their ICE models and it looks like this whole exercise will be useless.

Last edited by ron178 : 12th March 2023 at 15:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks