Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2023, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?

RM Sothebys has listed three instrument clusters up for auction, between 22nd - 29th March 2023.

Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?-bugatticluster.jpg

The auction is offering three instrument clusters from a Bugatti Veyron, a Ferrari 458 and a Rolls Royce Phantom. All three instrument clusters are offered without reserve.

Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?-ferraricluster.jpg

The instrument clusters are part of the auction house's "Garagista Collection", consisting of multiple car parts, both new and used, from various car brands like Bentley, McLaren, Ferrari, Merceded-Benz, Bugatti and many more. The collection is said to offer parts from nearly 100 years, ranging from the pre-war era to modern-day parts and everything in between. The collection is said to consist of some of the rarest and most sought-after items all offered without any reserve to automotive collectors.

Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?-rollsroycecluster.jpg

Source: RM Sothebys

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 24th March 2023 at 13:37.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 18:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?

I like the no reserve part, but it's RM Sothebys, so expect the wealthiest of bidders. Surprisingly, the Ferrari instrument cluster is the most boring here, as both MIDs on either side are obviously off. My first choice would be the beautiful meters from Bugatti, marked to 1000 PS . Second would be the Rolls-Royce unit for its classiness & simplicity.

But Bugatti blows the other two away here.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th March 2023, 19:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But Bugatti blows the other two away here.
Absolutely, love the way it's built. Don't know if it's metal or plastic but if someone can make similar in metal it will be great.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 09:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bugatti, marked to 1000 PS . Second would be the Rolls-Royce unit for its classiness & simplicity.
1001 PS to be precise

Exactly, the RR instrument cluster looks so simple yet classy.

Though I am sure the Mclaren F1 or any Pagani instrument cluster will steal the show.
ds.raikkonen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 09:33   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it’s the stupidest idea ever. People these days will come up with anything to get more eyeballs. What would you do with the instrument cluster?? Mind you, the kind of people expected to bid on Sothebys would own Ferraris and Bugattis and Rolls Royces. So, to put it in another way, would you spend your money to bid on, not just buy, an instrument cluster of your Sonet or Brezza or Nexon???
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 11:43   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I think it’s the stupidest idea ever. People these days will come up with anything to get more eyeballs. What would you do with the instrument cluster??
Agreed! Things are really getting out of hand these days.

What's next? Zonda's quad exhausts and gear shifter? Bugattis horshoe grill? F40's pop up headlamps, RR/Bentley time piece?

If such auctions gain traction, we would be seeing all cars parts being auctioned one day.

That digital Ferrari cluster looks so funny in that company of analogue dials. Bugatti is the best one; only pagani ones would beat it I guess?
ToThePoint is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2023, 11:51   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I think it’s the stupidest idea ever. People these days will come up with anything to get more eyeballs. What would you do with the instrument cluster???
Each to its one, live and let live.

I would love to own one of these. Especially the Bugatti one.

I have various car parts on display in my garage as it is, this would go very well with it.

With the advent of EV these sort of pieces of art will disappear. Might as well look at your switched off iPad and pretend you have a display of a Tesla.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (20) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 10:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
All three instrument clusters are offered without reserve.
Someone, please explain what "reserve" means here, as I am unable to understand.
Old 26th March 2023, 11:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daksh0510 View Post
Someone, please explain what "reserve" means here, as I am unable to understand.
In an auction a reserve is a minimum price the seller wants. So if the bidding does not surpass the reserve it won’t sell.

E.g. if the reserve of the instrument cluster is € 10000 and the last bid is €9500 it won’t sell! The amount of reserve is usually not announced when the bidding starts. When the auctioneer receives a bid surpassing the reserve, he/she will call out reserve met.

A reserve is a quarantine for the seller the item will be sold for a minimum, or not sell at all. It does come at a premium though. Most auction house will charge you more for an item with a reserve.

As a buyer no reserve is interesting, because you know the item will sell, even if the highest bid is ridiculous low.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 21:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

...These things are already available at junkyards and through car-part.com (search through most/all junkyards in the US using a single site). Speedos from RR are being sold for around 1000 USD, while Ferrari clusters are being sold for around 6500 USD.

The junkyards are usually nice enough to take the part out and courier it to you if you're happy to pay for the extra effort.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 21:28   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hehe, waiting for Tesla's cluster....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
In an auction a reserve is a minimum price the seller wants. So if the bidding does not surpass the reserve it won’t sell.
In India, the term "upset price" is more commonly used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToThePoint View Post
What's next? Zonda's quad exhausts and gear shifter? Bugattis horshoe grill? F40's pop up headlamps, RR/Bentley time piece?
Th business end of a 747....
Attached Thumbnails
Instrument clusters of Bugatti, Ferrari & Rolls-Royce up for auction | Which would you buy?-6a00d834543b6069e200e54f2622418833800wi.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 26th March 2023 at 21:45.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 22:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

Th business end of a 747....
I know several people who got themselves a real 747 cockpit and converted into a flight simulator. One in India!

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks