Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2023, 10:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford developing new sun visor which can shatter windows in case of emergency; patent filed

According to a media report, Ford has filed a patent for a new sun visor design for their cars, which doubles up as a tool to break the car's glass windows during an emergency.

As seen from the patent images, the sun visor looks like any conventional found in all vehicles. It comes mounted on a metal rod which flips as required to block the sun. However, instead of being permanently mounted, the sun visor can be removed from the metal rod to reveal a sharp end. The rod can further be removed from the roof mount, which can, in theory, shatter a window in case of an emergency.

Ford developing new sun visor which can shatter windows in case of emergency; patent filed-sunvisorbreaker.jpg

The patent though doesn't mention anything about the size of the glass breaker, though it does state the L-shaped design. Also, the patent doesn't mention safety protocols for accidentally breaking windows, considering it is positioned so close to the windscreen.

The patent by Ford seems simple and a no-brainer, however, whether or not the carmaker will actually bring it to production vehicles is yet to be seen.

Source: Motor1

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 15:00   #2
BHPian

Re: Ford developing new sun visor which can shatter windows in case of emergency; patent filed

That's a good idea from Ford.

Such types of innovations are required by car manufacturers which enhances more in the list of safety protocols. I expect the other car manufacturers to follow suit.
Old 16th October 2023, 16:09   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford developing new sun visor which can shatter windows in case of emergency; patent filed

I would say it is completely useless.
Most people don’t even read the manual, so they would never know.

These sort of aids need to be in plain sight and needs to be easily recognised as such. Plenty of cars that went into the water which had the traditional Life Saver Hammer on board. Rarely used.

In emergencies most people fall back to very simple and intuitive types of action, or worse freeze up. The notion that under such conditions folks might remember they can use their sun visor is simply not realistic I think.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 19:05   #4
BHPian

The safety glasses of cars can already be broken by the metal rods of the seat headrests. However, I can definitely imagine an unfortunate situation where the roof of the car may have collapsed and trapped the extraction route of the seats' headrests. That is where I can imagine Ford's sun visor mounted safety glass breaker to shine through and save the day

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks