Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2023, 13:18   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Mercedes EQS not as aspirational to own as S-Class, say dealers

According to media reports, Mercedes-Benz dealers have the hardest time selling electric vehicles, compared to the brand's competition.

As per data, Mercedes dealers, on average, take 82 days to sell the brand's EQ models. In comparison, the average for the luxury segment to move electric vehicles is 57 days, while BMW and Audi have an average of 38 & 46 days, respectively.

USA: Mercedes EQS not as aspirational to own as S-Class, say dealers-mercedeseqs5804matic.jpg

One Mercedes dealer stated that while they had a six-month supply of EVs, they only had a 50-day supply of the brand's ICE-powered vehicles. Dealers are blaming the expanding stockpiles of Mercedes EVs towards the brand's unwillingness to enact sales programs amidst increasing competition. A dealer mentioned, "The EVs are coming whether or not you asked for them or earned them. There is too much of a price premium – especially at the top end of the EQ lineup – and almost no [lease] support."

The dealer also went on to add that the EQ models lack the "lust factor" that Mercedes' flagship ICE models, such as the S-Class and AMG GT command. He stated, "The S-Class has maintained good loyalty because it’s aspirational. An EQS is not something that most people aspire to own."

Reports state that Mercedes-Benz is responding to dealer discontent by acknowledging the oversupply of higher-end EQ models at the expense of lower-tier EVs, plug-in hybrids and regular ICE models.

Source: AutomotiveNews

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 14:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: USA: Mercedes EQS not as aspirational to own as S-Class, say dealers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The dealer also went on to add that the EQ models lack the "lust factor" that Mercedes' flagship ICE models, such as the S-Class and AMG GT command. He stated, "The S-Class has maintained good loyalty because it’s aspirational. An EQS is not something that most people aspire to own."
I believe the term Aspirational is the most accurate description of the S Class and I can totally relate to the lack of appeal of the EQS.
For years the S Class has been designed with the ''Businessman who has achieved a lot in life and wants to celebrate his accomplishment'' in mind.

EQS styling simply lacks the oomph.

On the road, the EQS looks like the size of the ICE E Class and the EQE looks like the size of ICE C Class. Frankly it is hard to tell the EQS and EQE apart.

I suppose BMW's approach of keeping the same Styling for EV and ICE will work in their favor and won't for the EQS/S Class.
14000rpm is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 14:25   #3
BHPian

Given that extra space under the bonnet can be used for luggage, they should design it similar to S class. The bonnet is simply too short and more like a cab forward design used in economy cars to maximize interior space.
PreludeSH is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 15:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

The only association I remember with EQ is that thing we were sold twenty years ago as a sure fire way to ruin your career. The cars look terrible, the SUVs are par for the course, not great but the competition is just as unremarkable. I don't know why the current class segment naming is not used, it's weird just like the id name used by VW.

The EQS shares only the letter S with the S class, the bmw i7 is a 7 with an electric drive train. The EQS must be the only Benz I didn't find desirable, looks like their regular customers feel the same.

The sales numbers for EVs are a result of inventory stuffing, I believe only Tesla sales numbers reflect actual sales, Tesla havealso reduced prices, that's quite a barrier for Mercedes to overcome. Tesla also has the cool factor, so brand equity for a Mercedes is non existent in this segment.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2023, 18:21   #5
BHPian

Just the way the EQS looks. Saw one on the street, couldn't differentiate it from an EQE. While the S class also follows a common design language with the ICE E and C classes as well, it is instantly recognizable due to its road presence.
dragracer567 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 10:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

You can do all the celebrity and influencer endorsement you want, at the end of the day it's really hard to make a blob feel aspirational. I hope they go back to making elegant cars.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 11:53   #7

I believe the EQ lineup has been designed to be more aerodynamically efficient to carve out the maximum possible range. Though they do make their normal ICE vehicles aero efficient but not to the extent of their EV lineup. Also they have thought to give these new EV vehicles futuristic looks. An electric car does not require the same design as an ICE car, so the design issues. Its true the EQS and EQE do not look very desirable from the outside.

Mercedes may have thought about the dual branding issue with the EQ and their mainstream lineup, but went on with the EQ branding. This is probably to avoid any negative impact of this new type of powertrain and battery tech and early niggles affecting their mainstream with S class being the cream of their ICE lineup. If the EQ lineup does not face major technical or other issues, they most probably will merge the EQ lineup with their main lineup.
vikas8890 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2023, 18:02   #8
BHPian

In my humble opinion, the aspirational value of the S-Class is not solely derived from its outstanding ride quality, abundant luxury, or cutting-edge technology. It is rooted in a rich lineage and a storied history. The first S-Class was introduced in the 1970s, which means it boasts nearly 50 years of brand heritage. As every marketing guy would tell you, 'It's not just the product that's sold, but the story that's told,' and the same principle applies to the S-Class. Owning an S-Class is a lifelong aspiration because you've witnessed the wealthiest and most influential individuals either driving or being chauffeured in one.

This sentiment doesn't naturally transfer to a brand-new model simply because it has an "S" in its name, particularly when the EQS looks nothing like the traditional S-Class. We could potentially craft a compelling story for the EQS if it shared some design elements with the S-Class. As pointed out by the Team-BHPian @avira_tk, BMW took the right approach by styling the i7 to closely resemble the 7 Series. Perhaps Mercedes-Benz could learn a thing or two from BMW in this regard.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks