Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2024, 13:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Consumer Reports: 2024 list of most & least liked car brands

According to the latest study by Consumer Reports, the Rivian has come out on top as the most-liked car brand of 2023 in terms of owner satisfaction.

Consumer Reports: 2024 list of most & least liked car brands-crreport1.jpg

Rivian, which offers the R1S & R1T models, had the best satisfaction score, with 86% of the owners stating they would buy again. MINI came in second and BMW in third. 77% of MINI owners stated they would buy a car from the brand again, while 76% of BMW owners had the same sentiment. The CR study also states that MINI had the biggest move up in the list, jumping 11 spots compared to the results from the previous year.

Porsche and Tesla completed the top 5, with 76% and 74% of owners coming back to the brand, respectively.

The top 10 most-liked brands also included a few mainstream automakers like Subaru, Ram & Honda in 8th, 9th and 10th positions, respectively. Hyundai & Toyota's premium sub-brands Genesis & Lexus occupied the 6th and 7th positions on the list, respectively.

The least liked brand on the list was Infiniti in 29th position, with only 43% of owners agreeing to buy from the brand again. Volkswagen, Nissan, Jeep, Audi and Mercedes-Benz faired slightly better, occupying 28th, 27th, 26th, 25th and 24th positions, respectively.

Consumer Reports: 2024 list of most & least liked car brands-crreport2.jpg

The study also ranked brands based on a few specific areas. Here, Porsche ranked the highest for Comfort, Tesla for Driving & Ownership Costs, Ram for Cabin Storage and Genesis for Usability.

The report is based on data involving more than 3,30,000 vehicles, including MY2021 to MY2023, with a few 2024 versions as well.

Source: ConsumerReports

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 20th February 2024 at 13:05.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 13:39   #2
BHPian

Re: Consumer Reports: 2024 list of most & least liked car brands

Thanks for sharing.
1. Good to see 2 EV manufacturers sharing top 5 honors with ICE OEMs. Just shows how mature /evolved EVs are today.
2. Tesla and Rivian trumping Porsche and BMW on driving pleasure - clearly a beginning of a new era and sign of things to come for us driving enthusiasts on the forum.
3. Japanese and Korean brands seem to have consolidated their position in overall rankings and especially on cost of ownership.
Wonder why Kia is lagging behind (#21) overall. The Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) provided incentives only for EVs assembled in US and hence a disadvantage to electric cars made in Asia and Europe. That impacted sales. Shouldn't impact existing owner sentiment though.

Hope some agency starts doing a similar study for India.

Last edited by FAIAAA : 20th February 2024 at 13:46. Reason: Additional text
FAIAAA is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 14:35   #3

A report is only as good as its sample.
  1. This report is targeted at US audience with US car samples, thus it makes little to no sense in an Indian or Asian context, for western automakers things go down south when they move east

2. Honda doesn't feature in the Cabin Storage list and that list is dominated by large SUVs and Truck makers, citing the users are emphasizing absolute storage rather than efficient use of space, and I have mentioned Honda here as no one does packaging better than Honda, people doubting their packaging genius should spend a day with any version of Jazz.

3. Electric auto makers get featured in ownership cost list, indicating owners are not holding on to their cars enough to take battery degradation and replacement into account, post 8 yrs when the battery change is due, all the money saved throughout the year would be spent in one shot, and the used car market is aware of this phenomenon thus used mass market EV fetches far less value then ICE cars

4. NO automaker with capacitive touch controls for their climate controls gets featured in Usability list, indicating things will go back to having knobs and buttons for climate control and steering atleast. Honda and Volkswagen have already rolled back.

Last edited by KarthikK : 20th February 2024 at 14:49. Reason: Removed the extra . characters
Santy19 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 15:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai and Kia are facing trouble from car stealing gangs with a lot of new customers steering away from these vehicles as its easily stolen.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/06...of-car-thefts/
maddy42 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2024, 22:11   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

I must be getting old. I have never heard of Rivian. Sounds like a name from something in Lord of the rings?

But then again, folks that do know Rivian seem very pleased with them. But I still have to spot my first Rivian.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 11:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Can't say about most liked but came across this post on most hated car brands country wise. Not sure how far this is true.
Attached Thumbnails
Consumer Reports: 2024 list of most & least liked car brands-310958265_1287345012063547_420794291778156397_n.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 11:42   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post

folks that do know Rivian seem very pleased with them. But I still have to spot my first Rivian.

Jeroen
Rivian is not sold in India , but reviews on YouTube from content creators show the practicality, usability etc which makes me feel practical for Indian roads especially the rivian r1s

Check it out for yourself
Old 21st February 2024, 11:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Can't say about most liked but came across this post on most hated car brands country wise. Not sure how far this is true.
Looking at how they think we hate Jeeps here in India from that image, I think they go by sales numbers. Which cannot be a logical thing to do. The Jeep range has a very high entry price point here and no real mass-market offering.

Citroen would have actually been the most hated brand, but unfortunately many Indians don't even know that brand in the first place
aravind.anand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 14:45   #9
BHPian

I'm not convinced by Genesis. However reviewers compare it with Benz and many even call them superior to Benz.
I like the exterior especially that shooting brake thing they sell in Europe.
Is their V6 really all that better than Benz?
Old 21st February 2024, 14:49   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I must be getting old. I have never heard of Rivian. Sounds like a name from something in Lord of the rings?

Jeroen
Leaving this here for you Jeroen
/filler
Attached Thumbnails
Consumer Reports: 2024 list of most & least liked car brands-8gjd7i.jpg  

digitalnirvana is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 14:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santy19 View Post

[*] Electric auto makers get featured in ownership cost list, indicating owners are not holding on to their cars enough to take battery degradation and replacement into account, post 8 yrs when the battery change is due, all the money saved throughout the year would be spent in one shot, and the used car market is aware of this phenomenon thus used mass market EV fetches far less value then ICE cars

Just to show how wrong this statement is, here's a take:

"ICE auto makers getting featured in ownership costs list indicating owners are not holding on to their cars enough to take engine and transmission replacement cost into account, Post 5 years which is the average warranty period of these cars. This on top of expensive oil changes that have to be done."

It has been proven beyond doubt that EV batteries last way longer than their warranties which is why manufacturers like Mercedes are even offering 10 year warranties now. EV battery recycling startups are shutting down or downscaling because of lack of demand.

Cost of ICE maintainence will only go up with labour costs rising up and more complicated pollution control devices coming up.

Anyone trying to compete with EVs on cost of ownership is fighting a losing battle.
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 20:20   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting. Can you please share the source for this? There's some strange stuff on here.

Are Lincolns even sold in Bangladesh for example?
Name:  lincoln bangladesh.png
Views: 690
Size:  10.0 KB
Old 21st February 2024, 23:09   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
Interesting. Can you please share the source for this? There's some strange stuff on here.
Even I was intrigued by this and the source is The Clunker Junker.

Here is the methodology they followed-
Quote:
We have put together a list of the biggest and most popular car brands with global appeal using various specialized webpages (such as https://companiesmarketcap.com/autom...by-market-cap/).

We then pulled all geotagged tweets mentioning these brands from every country and US state. To ensure these tweets were talking about the cars in question, we built a list of terms related to driving and filtered out tweets that didn’t include some of these terms.

To label each tweet as being negative or positive, we used an AI sentiment analysis algorithm, HuggingFace. Tweets that have more than a 50% chance of being negative or positive were tagged as a negative or positive tweet, respectively.

To determine the most loved/hated car brand in every country and state, we isolated the brand with the highest % of positive and negative tweets, respectively.

For the Tesla maps, we ranked countries and states based on the % of positive tweets.

For the US and UK top 10s, we isolated the 10 car brands with the highest % of positive and negative tweets, respectively.

The data was collected in March 2022.
ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 14:52   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That was pretty amusing to go through.

Looking at this, I could come up with three reasons for the hate.

1. Boredom - Countries that have a major player controlling 50%+ of market share. They are fed up along the lines of 'familiarity breeds contempt'. Explains the hatred for Toyota in the smaller nations. Also USA, where it has a beigemobile image still. Closer home, it would be like how Maruti is hated in social media even when it is high selling.

2. Envy - What else to explain the hatred for Ferrari in many countries. Also the brand maybe associated with people in power or corruption. Explains why Lincolns are hated in random countries and Toyotas are hated in places where the warlords may ride around in tinted Landcruisers.

3. Genuine bad experience - Explains why Jeeps and Fiat maybe hated. Customers maybe unhappy with the cars, like how it is India and Australia. This and envy may lead to a brand being more hated than the rest.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks