Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2024, 15:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bentley sales decline as customers display "caution showing off their wealth', says CEO

According to reports, Bentley sales witnessed a decline in 2023 compared to the previous year. Adrian Hallmark, CEO of Bentley, stated that there were three main reasons for this; first being the weak economy and second, the high interest rates.

Bentley sales decline as customers display "caution showing off their wealth', says CEO-bentley.jpeg

The third reason for the decline was the interesting bit. Hallmark acknowledged "emotional sensitivity" as a cause for lower Bentley sales. He stated, "We had an uneven performance for the first time in about four years. Even though our customers can still afford our cars... there was a level of emotional sensitivity that slowed down demand."

The company reportedly sold 13,560 cars in 2023 - an 11% decline from 2022. This dip translates to a 13% loss in year-on-year revenue and a 17% loss in operating profits.

Coming back to emotional sensitivity, a spokesperson from the company clarified, "It’s caution showing displays of wealth in some markets, China, U.K., that are experiencing continued economic and political difficulty." This means that while the rich can financially 100% buy a Bentley, they are cautious to be socially seen in one.

Having said that, reports also showed that while the brand faced a decline in sales, its higher specification derivatives like the Azure S and Speed models accounted for 70% of all sales last year, compared to 30% in 2022.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 16:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bentley sales decline as customers display "caution showing off their wealth', says CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Coming back to emotional sensitivity, a spokesperson from the company clarified, "It’s caution showing displays of wealth in some markets, China, U.K., that are experiencing continued economic and political difficulty." This means that while the rich can financially 100% buy a Bentley, they are cautious to be socially seen in one.
I would love to see the market research that backs this up! And then use a similar excuse with my boss when she asks me why our product sales numbers aren't improving!

Or perhaps this is just BS, after all when have people the world over ever shied away from copious consumption even in countries where people are literally starving to death. Not many have that kind of empathy.

Last edited by am1m : 21st March 2024 at 17:00.
am1m is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 17:22   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bentley sales decline as customers display "caution showing off their wealth', says CEO

If they want to boost their sales, all they need to do is set up a showroom in Antilla.
ajmat is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2024, 22:49   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, I for one would not be surprised if there is some element of truth in this. It has been going on for some time. What with more and more people getting anxious about environmental issues and the state of the planet in general, the public sentiment is very much against those who seem to spend their money on unnecessary luxury items, that have a massive impact (relatively) on the environment.

It’s no fun spending money like this on such a car, take it for a nice spin through the country, stop at a pub and having to face the hatred of most patrons. The more verbally inclined will call you an anti social ******* for driving such a monstrosity. You kill the environment, the hedge hogs and all the cyclist.

That is of course, before some other ******* with a beard and a bicycle will key your car. Because, apparently, keying luxury cars helps the environment. Says so Greta probably.

Remember the super yacht of Bezos? It was build here in the Netherlands. There was a real outrage, especially when they wanted to disassemble a famous monumental bridge to let it pass. People were about to demonstrate and be ready with rotten eggs!

Bezos decided to leave the masts of his yacht and it was moved unexpectedly in the dark!

But seriously, the above is not that much removed from the truth. Here in the Netherlands there are talks to ban private business jets all together. And if you take your Rolls, fancy Beemer, or Range Rover into town such as Amsterdam or Utrecht you are lucky to find only spit on it!

So yes, my heart bleeds for these wealthy lot? All this money, and all the punters are turning against them!

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 12:55   #5

Mercedes Car Hits 2-Wheeler, Killing 18-Year-Old Cricket - TOI

Elderly man dies as Mercedes hits scooter in Delhi, 4-year - India Today

Mercedes hits motorcycle at Maidan: One dead, two injured- Statesman

Mercedes, cash and more: IT raid on Noida engineer - TOI

Rolls Royce, Lamborghini, stacks of cash seized - News

Well these are just a few of the top searches thrown on Google.
What the Bentley CEO says is equally applicable in our country too and at a much lower price band. Here too people are hounded just because they have a luxury car. An accident by a normal car is easily forgotten and forgiven but come a luxury car and suddenly everyone will try to extort whatever possible. The media, public, and police all become over active.
Even the Income tax department has a keen eye on who is buying a luxury car. Not sure but I have heard that these showrooms have to furnish sale details on regular basis to IT dept.
Several of my businessmen friends have actually switched from Mercs and BMWs to Toyota Hycross, Vellfire, Superb, etc. to be out of sight of these Government departments.
Thus I agree to this fancy "emotional sensitivity" jargon.
Abhi83 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

I feel it’s because they have of late gone over the top with all the quilting and knurling and diamond cut lights and diamond cut seats etc. The new Bentleys and for that matter even the Range Rovers look a little too chintzy for my taste and I suppose with brands like BYD and manufacturers like Hyundai ready to have the same fussy design elements incorporated in their offerings, no one needs the chinzty look anymore on a Bentley. I say the company needs to bring back something like the Arnage and the Mulsanne (without the gaudy extra chromed grille it came with in its final years) those slabs of metal looked epic and special without relying on fussy design bits.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 19:09   #7
Team-BHP Support

Unfortunately, great wealth attracts the wrong attention. The only way to offset this is to dance with the devil if you are big enough (builders, mega tycoons) or stay low profile.

Most of the tech founders in Bangalore drive Audi's, Passats and Superbs. A friend of mine who recently floated his company has a Superb and couple of smaller imported SUV's. Another aspect is that people nowadays spend on experiences - Dinner at Michelin 5 star rated hotel, trip on the Orient Express as opposed an ostentatious object.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks