Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2007, 13:02   #1
BHPian

3000bhp street legal aircraft engine bel air

This car is a 1955 Chevrolet BelAir Sports Coupe powered by a V12 Rolls Royce Merlin Aircraft Engine as used by P51 Mustang Aircraft. There have been some detail changes from the original artists concept, making the car stand out more. See the pictures below of the car at the Melbourne Hot Rod Show 2003 showing some of the display items as well. This car is finished and fully street registered and was shown at the Summernats in 2003 and also at the Perth and Melbourne Hot Rod Shows.

After road testing in August 2001, our 55 Chev was completely pulled apart again and some minor adjustments made and most of the mechanical components stripped and rebuilt ready for final assembly. The engine and gearbox were completely detailed and are shown on a frame ready for final fitting to the car. See the pictures below. The body came back from the painters, where six months work had gone into the detailed paint work, including the murals and graphics. The entire car was painted in a P51 Mustang theme and you really need to see the car to appreciate the amount of detail touches, such as bullet holes, rivets, exhaust smoke etc. We have included a couple of close up pictures below to give you some idea. The body was removed from the chassis again and the chassis was stripped for the last time and all chassis components powder coated and reassembled. The chassis was then fully detailed for the last time and the engine and gearbox refitted. All the final work involving cabling, hydraulics etc, was finished and the car made ready in a week for the body to be refitted for final test driving and registration before being seen at some shows. Early October 2002 saw the car's debut.

The Castlemaine Rod Shop Latest Projects
Old 23rd November 2007, 14:58   #2
BHPian

Wow ! That's an awesome engine The paint job on the car's cool, but I'm not sure of it's accuracy though - I remember "Final Objective" being associated with a B-24 rather than a P-51. The alternators too look pretty modern right ? The original engine had magnetos. Not taking anything away from the work put into this beauty - I can't help but feel that this engine would be happier at 20,000 feet rather than in the Chevy. This engine is epic...

I remember reading an interesting anecdote regarding this engine though, seems connecting rods were showing up with cracks during inspection & Rolls Royce was hard-pressed to identify the reason. Turned out that workers were dumping their left-over coke (as in Cocoa Cola) into the cooling oil used for machining ! I just vaguely remember reading this somewhere, a very very long time ago, not even sure of the source now...

Modern car engines are cool & all, but they can't hold a candle to a WWII legend like this !
Old 23rd November 2007, 15:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Jeizuz! For a second I thought that was a typo.

Great find Pawan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Wow ! That's an awesome engine The paint job on the car's cool, but I'm not sure of it's accuracy though - I remember "Final Objective" being associated with a B-24 rather than a P-51.
No prizes for guessing what the actual 'final objective' means there.

Just kidding srini.
Old 23rd November 2007, 16:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Super find. It would be awesome to see a video of this in action.

Steering is a nice touch. I hope they are not running it on those tires.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks