Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2008, 02:07   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Now MI allows you to drive on foreign license.
Is this official? All states allow temporary visitors to drive on home-country driving licenses, but if you are a resident of the state you have to get a license of that state. Does Michigan say officially that H1/F1 people who are there for 4-8 years are allowed drive for that entire time on their home-country licenses?

If so, this is very confusing for me. By issuing you a Michigan license, the state essentially grants you the privelege to drive as well as gaining regulation over your driving (like assessing points for moving violations, suspending your license for not maintaining insurance or driving under the influence of alcohol). They cannot regulate you if you have a foreign license.

What benefit would they get by allowing a hundred thousand people to suddenly escape the state driving regulation system? They won't even be able to verify if a foreign license if genuine or fake!

Unless Michigan officially says that long term non-permanent residents like H1 and F1 holders are allowed to drive on their foreign licenses, I don't see how this move is anything except an attempt to drive foreigners out of the state. Reduced presence of H1 and F1 holders in Michigan make more jobs available for michiganders while reducing the size of the public universities, and thus their budgets, relieving pressure on the Michigan state budget.

So, if Michigan officially says that long term resident non permanent aliens can drive on their home country licenses, I'd be very interested to see a link about that.
Old 29th January 2008, 02:23   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harbir View Post
So, if Michigan officially says that long term resident non permanent aliens can drive on their home country licenses, I'd be very interested to see a link about that.

I guess the link is given in the first post of this thread.
Old 29th January 2008, 02:38   #33
BHPian

Alright now the update is this is something to do with Real Id act passed by the Congress. All states will have to comply to this act. Since the driving license can be used as a state id and will be accepted while flying domestic flights soon, the govt wants to make sure only US citizens have it.

Lots of states have already complied by passing similar regulations. Later on when legal residents raised their voices, they amended the law thus allowing a Temporary license--that can not be used as a state id--needs to be renewed every year.

Similar proposal is being considered by the MI authorities. The result should be out in a few weeks time.

I am not sure which state but it passed a law that DL can be issued to primary work visa holder i.e. H1, L1 and so no. Not for their dependants... Thats funny. Dependants are supposed to be under house arrest.
Old 29th January 2008, 03:11   #34
Senior - BHPian

In Texas, to apply for a license you need to have more than 1 year's validity on the visa ( ie, on the I-797 and the stamped visa in your passport). I had 2 years to go on my H-1,and my wife got her driver's license without any issue. My brother's wife had 6 months on her visa,and she was refused the license. She got her license only when they received their EADs.

A person on a H-4/F-2 visa can get a license,but the license will indicate that the applicant doesn't have a SSN & they are not authorized to work. This serves as an ID and allows the person to drive. I'm not sure if other states have different rules regarding this.
Old 29th January 2008, 07:13   #35

Things are easier in Arizona

In Az, As long as you have a valid Visa you will get your DL.

In case your visa has expired and you have applied for extension,
they will extend it for 180 days which is the limit which you can stay
after you have applied for extension( With decision from USCIS pending).

For now , we are far from all these trouble. cheers:.
Old 29th January 2008, 08:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Alright now the update is this is something to do with Real Id act passed by the Congress. All states will have to comply to this act. Since the driving license can be used as a state id and will be accepted while flying domestic flights soon, the govt wants to make sure only US citizens have it.
If it spreads to other states, this could very problematic. Home country licenses expire but due to the vagaries of the US immigration system, many H1 holders get stuck in the US, unable to travel due to many multitude of reasons, and these people would not be able to return to their home countries for licence renewals due to to applications or petitions pending with the immigration people.

man, this could get very ugly.
Old 29th January 2008, 09:14   #37
Team-BHP Support

It is really getting bad, soon they will start demanding identity papers at every state border crossing. Reminds me of the old communist countries from the cold war novels.

Until 9/11, for a foreigner to move around in USA was such a breeze, whether in car or flight or bus. Security considerations were minimal to non-existent. Until the early 90s, one could open a bank account before getting SSN, or get a SSN even for H4 visa holder. I never carried my passport while traveling all over the country until 2004. But last year on a visit, I always carried it on me. Hey, you never know. Everybody has become lot more suspicious.
Old 29th January 2008, 10:19   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolero View Post
In Az, As long as you have a valid Visa you will get your DL.

In case your visa has expired and you have applied for extension,
they will extend it for 180 days which is the limit which you can stay
after you have applied for extension( With decision from USCIS pending).

For now , we are far from all these trouble. cheers:.

"So far, 17 states have passed legislation or resolutions objecting to the REAL ID Act's provisions, many due to concerns it will cost them too much to comply. The 17, according to the ACLU, are: Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Maine, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee and Washington state."

Source: New rules on licenses pit states against feds - CNN.com

So I guess residents of these states are free from this trouble as of now.
Old 29th January 2008, 22:44   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
It is really getting bad, soon they will start demanding identity papers at every state border crossing.
Well its almost there. When I was in Indianapolis (State of Indiana) I applied for a transfer of license from Ohio and they actually gave me a print out A4 size paper that was my temporary permit (with NO photograph) until they verified my background being a foreign national in the country. Each time I drove out of the state and unfortunately got pulled all of those times in Ohio and kentucky they would ask me for my license and give me the "whats wrong with you...you're such a con man" look when I handed them that piece of paper. Unfortunately there's no communication between the states about wat happens. I had to explain each time that , that paper was my license for 2 months. Wierd experiences with licenses I tell ya.
Old 7th February 2008, 08:55   #40
BHPian

OK. Fixed.

Michigan Senate OKs legal immigrant driver's licenses
Old 7th February 2008, 22:03   #41
Senior - BHPian

Thats good. So finally the issue has been resolved. Makes it easier now,for all legal immigrants.
Old 8th February 2008, 05:00   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hskhan View Post
The reason behind this move is extremely racist and targeted specifically towards illegal Mexicans.

The new law will require every new applicant in front of a DMV clerk proves he/she is a legal citizen/resident. If you're a citizen you'll have no problem. If you're a legal resident you can use your own drivers license - no problem. If you're an illegal your life is made incredibly difficult.

It's a VERY disgraceful decision for Michigan to make.
How so?
Asking to prove that you are here LEGALLY is Racist?Disgraceful?
However asking for permanent residence was a mistake and looks like its now corrected.
Old 8th February 2008, 22:42   #43
Senior - BHPian

Call it another way to curb illegal immigrants. Its a good way to filter out people who've entered the country illegaly, or those who have over-stayed past their visa expiry. Helps get rid of a lot of trouble makers.
Old 9th February 2008, 00:25   #44
Senior - BHPian

what's funny is advocates of immigrants keep saying that we need immigrants to do the job, and that's because they are ready to work for low wages.

what they don't know is as soon as these illegals get a legal status, they will start demanding money, paid vacations, and ethical employement practices....then? we will have to ask for more illegal immigrants
Old 9th February 2008, 02:24   #45
Senior - BHPian

hahaha..good point,vivek.
We had this discussion the other day at work. Houston has a huge (and I mean a sitation where it'll soon become a majority) number of Hispanics. Apparently, 40% of them are illegal,working with various construction companies & any establishment that offers some monetary reward.
Thing is,so many of the illegal workers get naturalized over time,and then they begin to look for much better jobs ( a good thing,no doubt).

I just so happens,that once a person become a citizen, they sponsor another battalion from Mexico/South america,and this process keeps repeating over & over again. What is evident,is that the crime rate goes up by huge numbers,thanks to these illegal immigrants entering the country.

Apparently,there are tonnes of Indians too,who continue to live in the US illegally.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks