Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2008, 21:04   #16
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics SB!

Did you check-out the Toyota Pavillion at Odaiba?
Old 5th February 2008, 18:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Glad you guys found it interesting. Shall keep posting, as and when time permits - its the photo-hosting part that eats up time/effort.

@Busa, I like it stock - no TC for my Baleno. Also, I have sobered up a lot (after a certain incident) and am trying to reduce my speed (not increase it). :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I am particularly interested in the kind of cars and bikes that the regular/average Japs drive.
Mostly it is small cars that can be found in common use here. You have almost every manufacturer making cars that resemble the WagonR/Estilo/Alto - just the name and maker will differ plus some slight cosmetic differences. Sample these...

Then there are slightly bigger hatches like the Swift, Fit, Demio etc. The Swift is exactly the same as in India, except for the interiors - saw one with auto-box, steering-audio controls, snazzy alloys etc.

I do see quite some nice sedans too. Saw few Civics - look same as in India. But saw that the ORVM was electrically adjustable (not just the glass, but whole mirror). Is that the case in Indian Civic too ? Some sedans I snapped.

Also see/hear modded cars, though could not take many snaps yet.

This affinity to small cars is (apart from FE) mainly because parking is a big issue here and as I understand it, if you want to buy a car, you have to first prove that you have space to park it at home. Have seen swanky cars parked in barely enough spaces at home - not as bad as how iragahava parks his OHC, but almost there.

Regular bikes are mostly our Scooty types (saw a few Honda Dios), plus something that is a cross between a motorbike and a scooter. Don't know how to explain it - will post photos instead. The frame, seats etc are like a scooter, but the exhaust note, handle bars etc are like a bike.

There also are bikes that resemble the Bajaj M80 - like the one below. :-)

And some 3-wheeled scooterettes, some of them even with a canopy (almost a car). But they are mostly the delivery-types, like the one below.

Would love to have the 3-wheeled bike in India (for wifey, instead of her bike), just because you dont have to worry about balance. Though I know she will be mad if she reads this, because as per her, she is as good a rider as anyone else and dont need no 3 wheels.

And this beauty is all mine (temporarily ofcourse) if I pay the Hilton 4 times the daily rates I pay currently. Sad that my company does not find value in this deal. :-(

Never knew that Daihatsu had a Vtec too.

Our own Omni ????

And if you thought only we car-guys are paranoid about our rides, I chanced upon this. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
I know they have a lot of cute little K-cars.
After you mentioned K-cars, I did some googling to know what they are.
Will look out for them too, though I am not sure how to make them out from the normal small cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofsatan
Did you have a chance to take any more detailed pics of the Alfa's?
Not yet. Was not sure whether they would appreciate it if someone with no intention of buying a car walked in & started taking snaps. Though knowing the Japanese, they should not have any issues, but will anyway check with my Japanese colleagues before trying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
Did you check-out the Toyota Pavillion at Odaiba?
No. And this is my last week here. So doubt if I can make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
You are bald and got round blue eyes?
@jkdas, what did you mean ? Did not understand it.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 5th February 2008 at 18:43.
Old 5th February 2008, 18:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
They also had this bug-like concept car displayed, which I pretended to be interested in, just due to the Japanese girls demo-ing the car.

this one

Quote:
Glad you guys found it interesting. Shall keep posting, as and when time permits - its the photo-hosting part that eats up time/effort.

Then there are slightly bigger hatches like the Swift, Fit, Demio etc. The Swift is exactly the same as in India, except for the interiors - saw one with auto-box, steering-audio controls, snazzy alloys etc.

I do see quite some nice sedans too. Saw few Civics - look same as in India. But saw that the ORVM was electrically adjustable (not just the glass, but whole mirror). Is that the case in Indian Civic too ? Some sedans I snapped.

Also see/hear modded cars, though could not take many snaps yet.

Regular bikes are mostly our Scooty types (saw a few Honda Dios), plus something that is a cross between a motorbike and a scooter. Don't know how to explain it - will post photos instead. The frame, seats etc are like a scooter, but the exhaust note, handle bars etc are like a bike.

There also are bikes that resemble the Bajaj M80 - like the one below. :-)

Our own Omni ????
Actually, Bajaj copied the Cub.

Now who copied the light from Tata Indica?

That Nissan looks like our Estilo? or is it sold there as a Nissan?
Old 5th February 2008, 19:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

Oh, OK, I get the joke now. :-)

The Estilo is sold here as the MR Wagon or something. So, the Nissan is a different car, though similar in looks. As I said, they are all almost the same.
Old 5th February 2008, 19:24   #20
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics! Keep them coming. I loved the scooter with canopy. I myself would love to have one...but without the bread box.

Quote:
G
After you mentioned K-cars, I did some googling to know what they are.
Will look out for them too, though I am not sure how to make them out from the normal small cars.
The K or the Kei (Keijidosha) car is defined by exterior size as well as engine capacity and they get huge tax concessions. The limit is 660cc and the external size is same as M800/Alto. (Which are incidentally both K-cars). Some are 660 cc turbos because of this rule.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would think the Mitsubishi-i is also a K-car - atleast given its size (no idea about specs). So cute and looks like the Nano shares quite some similarity with it, as someone mentioned on another thread.

Seeing the range of small cars here, how I wish we had such a wide range of cars (and manufacturers) to choose from, in India, instead of just Maruti and a few others. Honda, Mitsu, Nissan, etc etc, wake up to the huge opportunity.

Another category of cars that caught my interest were the compact goods carriers (a la the Tata Ace). Such a huge range of them here. Will post snaps later.
Old 5th February 2008, 20:15   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkd
Have heard that Japs were big fans of our Bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa
So what are you getting from Japan for your Baleno? A Turbocharger?
No. Petes.
@SB:I see you're having an actual holiday,this time in Japan.
Make some space in ur luggage. Ill send U my "grocery" list.
Old 5th February 2008, 21:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics!
Quite a few boxy looking cars,eh!
Looks like the Yaris is pretty popular there.
Old 5th February 2008, 22:00   #24
BANNED

Wow!! Let the pics keep rolling. But being in Japan, we are a bit more demanding in some more exotic variety. :
Old 5th February 2008, 22:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic pics SB. Yes the Civics have complete electronic mirrors, like the one you saw in Japan.

Anna the Boss - Petes turns out cheaper here
Old 5th February 2008, 23:12   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

IIRC, all the cars posted above by you are K-cars.

P.S. Not the turbo badge on the Honda Dunk, in all probability it's powered by a 660cc TC engine.

Quote:
This affinity to small cars is (apart from FE) mainly because parking is a big issue here and as I understand it, if you want to buy a car, you have to first prove that you have space to park it at home. Have seen swanky cars parked in barely enough spaces at home - not as bad as how iragahava parks his OHC, but almost there.
Oye! That's called efficient parking!!

Quote:
Never knew that Daihatsu had a Vtec too.
That's fuuny, the font is also exactly the same as the one on the Honda's.

Quote:
Our own Omni ????
Nope, looks like the Versa to me.
Old 6th February 2008, 15:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

hey SB,almost all cars look similar,are they saving or r&d on new shapes .its like almost every thing there is boxy.do they have square bottles,glasses etc,jokes apart and OT when are you back for the meet buddie.its planned for 17th.
ram
Old 6th February 2008, 17:46   #28
Senior - BHPian

ram, if you think these are boxy, you should see some of the other tall-boys they have here. So fugly. Sort of like stretching a WagonR from all sides. And these also are made by various manufacturers with almost same looks.

OT: I would be back on 10th. So should make it for the meet, unless you guys change the plan.

BTW, just spotted this Nissan Teana - same as the one back home, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin
Nothing to beat a Ferrari in its trademark color.
True. It was awesome, though the snap does not do justice to the car - it was much better in reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
@SB:I see you're having an actual holiday,this time in Japan. Make some space in ur luggage. Ill send U my "grocery" list.
Holiday ? Man, I am on work here. And if you think I have just been roaming around clicking cars, most of these snaps are from previous trips.

If your grocery list has stuff that is small on volume and weight, I will surely sneak it along with all the kid-stuff I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak
But being in Japan, we are a bit more demanding in some more exotic variety.
Agreed. As soon as I manage to snap them, they will be on this thread, zak.
Old 6th February 2008, 18:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Awesome pics dude!!!! Great picture quality.
The 355 takes the cake. Looks to be extremely well maintained.
Jap. cars have really weird names.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 6th February 2008 at 19:17.
Old 6th February 2008, 19:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

wow nice pics SB...guess you are having a ball of time clicking some superb machines primarily from the land of suzuki and honda. keep posting...

Most Viewed