Team-BHP - Active Cruise Control in BMW
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   Active Cruise Control in BMW (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/35696-active-cruise-control-bmw.html)

Saw this interesting news: You can’t crash a BMW any more

Wonder how such a system will work in India, where your car gets kissed at the backside very often, when you brake hard to avoid colliding with the vehicle in front!

well, the car just accelerates/ decelrates. I am very skeptical on the way this would work in india as there are no rules that people follow. 2ndly the lines are not well definined in all locations. but.. lets see how it works abroad.

we indians need not worry about the authenticity of this claim.lol.our auto walas or even the tiny cycle walas would prove this claim to be false in a sec or two.lol
ram

When i first got the spec sheet for the 5 series (before they actually began Indian production) the active cruise control was on it. Was very suprised to find that feature on, but they took it off.
I read somewhere that the Audi A6 has it ... wonder how it works in Bombay traffic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanjaykk (Post 726502)
Saw this interesting news: You can’t crash a BMW any more

Wonder how such a system will work in India, where your car gets kissed at the backside very often, when you brake hard to avoid colliding with the vehicle in front!

Mercedes introduced this technology first on its S-Class. The car crashed in its first press unveiling .lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayavi (Post 727265)
Mercedes introduced this technology first on its S-Class. The car crashed in its first press unveiling .lol:

That was because some genius had forgotten to switch the system on !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikhilb2008 (Post 727297)
That was because some genius had forgotten to switch the system on !!

In this internet age its getting so difficult to start a smear campaign by hiding facts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mayavi (Post 727347)
In this internet age its getting so difficult to start a smear campaign by hiding facts.

i remember reading about it long time ago. pretty sad. i believe it crashed 3 brand new demo S-class cars in a row, not just one. the system was on, but the demo was inside a steel dome which interfered with the radar signal.

some cars use laser instead of the radar - which is probably a better choice. Not sure what BMW uses.

A Crash is a crash no matter what the excuse. :p

The Active Cruise Control System can only de accelrate a bit. It cannot totally do panic braking.

The BMW is using radar beam. :)

LOL.

I just read the news item. I just clicked Resume or some kid did it by leaning across the steering and I will fall in the valley. :p

The steering vibrates to warn me of the lanes then I may start thinking I have a puncture. ;) What happens when there are suddenly no lines ? Does it do panic braking so the guy behind me can crash into me ?

Please people if you got this feature, do not put it on ever.

Its proper to use it on freeways only. (not in India)

For any such thing to work, it is necessary for driver first to recognise the necessity of leaving a proper space between cars.

Here it won't happen, because if we do leave a good gap then another car will fill it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 727710)
Here it won't happen, because if we do leave a good gap then another car will fill it.

lol: If you can't beat them, join them.

...and how would it react to the two-wheelers perpetually cutting accross?