Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2008, 09:27   #1
BHPian

Cars Spotted during my UK Visit

Was in the UK for about three weeks. Got a chance to see some wonderful cars in this period.

Personally, being new to place and driving in the UK, I preferred a hatchback. I chose to drive a Honda Jazz.

A few pictures are uploaded. Most of them belong to my UK colleagues. I must add that we might have seen quite a few of them in India as well by now

Here is the link:
Picasa Web Albums - Subhash Chandra - Cars in the UK
Old 4th March 2008, 16:27   #2
BHPian

Good snaps there wanderlustindia. The Ford Fusion is ditto as sold in India, not more numbers on the Pune roads though.
Old 4th March 2008, 16:59   #3

you should have walked around marble arc. They got their showrooms there. you would have seen everything from the Pagani Zonda to the Bmw Mini Cooper.
Old 4th March 2008, 17:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

Great pics dude! The Peugeot looks wicked.
Old 4th March 2008, 18:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval View Post
Good snaps there wanderlustindia. The Ford Fusion is ditto as sold in India, not more numbers on the Pune roads though.
Ford Fusion is sold in two models there. One is the ditto that you see in India as in the pictures. Another named Fusion2 (or Fusion+ dont remember exactly), slightly rounded from the behind. The front remains the same.
Old 4th March 2008, 18:39   #6
BHPian

Ford has a huge engineering facility in the UK and they roll out a number of cars from there. The Fusion, Cougar, The New Focus. Spotted a lot of Fords there.

Citroen, Renault and Puegeot sell like hotcakes as well because of the lesser taxes these French cars attract in UK. Renault though, not surprisingly, makes awkward looking cars. Atleast they looked awkward to me. But guess its value for Money and thats why it sells.
Old 4th March 2008, 18:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Hows the Jazz. Would like to hear more about it.
Old 4th March 2008, 19:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

What did you make of the small cars available there?

stuff like Ford Ka, Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris? Superb city cars with just enough space for the shopping. And here the Fiat 500 is going to be sold as a collector's item :(. Nano coming up, I suppose...

One thing that disappointed me when there last year was that I didn't see a single Swift. And yes, Suzuki do sell them there.
Old 4th March 2008, 21:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics,buddy!
Any bike pics?
Old 5th March 2008, 11:33   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What did you make of the small cars available there?

stuff like Ford Ka, Nissan Micra, Toyota Yaris? Superb city cars with just enough space for the shopping. And here the Fiat 500 is going to be sold as a collector's item :(. Nano coming up, I suppose...

One thing that disappointed me when there last year was that I didn't see a single Swift. And yes, Suzuki do sell them there.
Thad, I did see a few Swifts in Cambridge city, though not in good numbers. Yes, you are right, looks like small cars are the way to go in the UK. Small cars from the French car makers, Citroen, Renault and Puegeot sell in good numbers there.

Even spotted an Alto and a couple of Santros . A few Getz here and there as well!

The BMW Mini Cooper is in significant numbers. And yes, they are going to launch it as a lifestyle vehicle in India just like the Fiat 500
Old 5th March 2008, 11:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Hows the Jazz. Would like to hear more about it.
jkdas,

the Jazz is a pretty decent vehicle. First impressions about the Jazz are good. The one I drove was a fully loaded variant carrying all the bells and whistles.
I did not find out the tech specs of the car. At best it is a nice city commuter and a decent highway car as well. I hit the 100 mph mark on A1428 (Bedford to Cambridge) and the car seemed pretty sure-footed. But it took a while to hit the 100 mph mark. Labors its way all the way up to hit the peak.

Definitely not a scorcher!

But a competent vehicle nonetheless. The temperatures were hovering around the -1, -2 degree centigrade mark every morning and it would crank up nicely even in those conditions. But I guess thats how cars are supposed to work in the UK and other cold countries. The engine like most Hondas is super silent. I reckon it would cost anywhere between 5-6 lacs when launched in India.
Old 5th March 2008, 11:43   #12
BHPian

Did you see any CityRovers?

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlustindia View Post
Was in the UK for about three weeks. Got a chance to see some wonderful cars in this period.

Last edited by pradkumar : 5th March 2008 at 11:44.
Old 5th March 2008, 13:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures. Merc CDI in a station wagon avatar looks bad
Old 7th March 2008, 09:10   #14
BHPian

Europe (especially UK) shares a lot of models with India, which is not the case with North America (US/Canada).
There are some cars which will never be launched in North America but are quite successful elsewhere.
Old 7th March 2008, 12:06   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
Did you see any CityRovers?

Pradeep
You mean the British Rovers? I did see a few of them in old and dilapidated condition. Its dead now!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks