Team-BHP - New E60 BMW M5 with SMG transmission
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The International Automotive Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/)
-   -   New E60 BMW M5 with SMG transmission (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/international-automotive-scene/366-new-e60-bmw-m5-smg-transmission-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 03 2004,17:24)]SMG - wow its cool and all..but cmon man....wheres the manual?

hey rehan, I had read somewhere that the SMG is suppose to be better and quicker shift than the manual..so it is better..but I dont know much about transmissions...to really comment..

if i find the place which said so i will post it here..

Cheers.

SMG is fairly good, less hassle then the manual for some people, besides you don't need to take your hands off the steering wheel. i prefer Audi's DSG though, but reviews says the SMG2 is just as good.
and C4S, the manuals are missed only by the purists.

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (ported_head @ May 08 2004,23:42)]SMG is fairly good, less hassle then the manual for some people, besides you don't need to take your hands off the steering wheel. i prefer Audi's DSG though, but reviews says the SMG2 is just as good.
and C4S, the manuals are missed only by the purists.

Oh dont get me wrong, I would miss the manual myself, but in places like the US, I would like to have something like an SMG or DSG..but still mannual has its own charm and thats what I would like to have in M5 too....

L8r

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (_Crazi4Speed_ @ May 09 2004,10:40)]
Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Rehaan @ May 03 2004,17:24)]SMG - wow its cool and all..but cmon man....wheres the manual?

hey rehan, I had read somewhere that the SMG *is suppose to be better and quicker shift than the manual..so it is better..but I dont know much about transmissions...to really comment..

if i find the place which said so i will post it here..

Cheers.

Hey C4S,

The SMG is a consistently quick shift that cannot be matched by a manual. Hence is "better".

I prefer manual transmissions just because you have the clutch right there at your control and you can do exactly what you want without any onboard computer double checking your moves. The direct control you have over the gearbox in a manual brings you so much closer to the car IMO. (Even if the shifts are .2seconds slower!)

cya
R

G-A-W-D The E60 M5 in fast. It beats the Ferrari 430 and Porsche GT3 in a 0 - 150 MPH sprint.

Times taken from Autocar magazine. In the same article, they have mentioned that the Ferrari could not keep up on the twisties. This is one helluva daily meeting.

M5 21.0 (Autocar, Jun 7, 2005)
F430 21.5 (Autocar, Jun 7, 2005)
Viper SRT-10 22.4 (Car and Driver, Nov 2002)
911 GT3 23.9 (Car and Driver, Jan 2004)
C6 Z51 25.0 (Car and Driver, Dec 2004)

GTO

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO
G-A-W-D The E60 M5 in fast. It beats the Ferrari 430 and Porsche GT3 in a 0 - 150 MPH sprint.

Times taken from Autocar magazine. In the same article, they have mentioned that the Ferrari could not keep up on the twisties. This is one helluva daily meeting.

)

GTO

I have the article - bought that issue on my way out - Ferrari licked in everything except the noise !!!

Quote:

I have the article - bought that issue on my way out - Ferrari licked in everything except the noise !!!
A Hamann exhaust could fix that. Well, almost.

But imagine the depth of what is happening with sedans over the last 15 years. They are beating sports cars in performance, and yet seat 4 - 5 people with a boot and daily practicality.

GTO

Quote:

i prefer Audi's DSG though
U said it. That thing is a dream. BTW, do Murcielago and Gallardo have it?

Quote:

But imagine the depth of what is happening with sedans over the last 15 years. They are beating sports cars in performance,
Yup that's true. I've got Best Motoring videos of Evo VIIs and Subaru Imprezzas racing against the 360 Modenas around a track. No competition, the 360 just couldn't keep up, be it Tsukuba or Sugo.

The M5 is a dream.

And Ferrari claims the F430 is quicker than the F40!!!

Shan2nu