Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2008, 19:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Although this is fantastic to look at (the black plastic makes it look purposeful) if not one of the best looking cars in recent times. I wouldn't put my money on this car because there would be people who would say things like these

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

C'mon, adding a LSD doesn't make it an offroader. An off-roader needs to have minimum 4WD and high/low gear option. Most Indian off-roaders don't have LSD.
which I completely agree and wouldn't have anything to defend my purchase on those points, apart from, I bought it because I like the way it looks, thus proving my credentials towards automotive savviness.
Old 16th May 2008, 08:01   #32
BHPian

Quote:

C'mon, adding a LSD doesn't make it an offroader. An off-roader needs to have minimum 4WD and high/low gear option. Most Indian off-roaders don't have LSD.
That's what I meant. You don't see a lot of off-roaders with LSD's (unless you can lock them as in the Fiat). Mostly seen on track/performance cars.

But then Fiat probably expect people to take it to the track as well and use that LSD. But they need to lower that ride height and get stiffer shocks.

Last edited by sujaylahiri : 16th May 2008 at 08:02.
Old 16th May 2008, 09:11   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
But then Fiat probably expect people to take it to the track as well and use that LSD. But they need to lower that ride height and get stiffer shocks.
LSD on a track? A track with ice, snow or slush...
Old 16th May 2008, 13:32   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The type of LSD is used in this FIAT is Locker which help quit a lot in tracks. when you going round a corner this type of LSD will send extra torque to the inner wheel. In normal driving condition both wheels are tyoically locked in locker LSD but when the outer wheel starts to rotate faster(ie in turn) than the differential it allows it to turn freely(till it rotating faster than the differential) and that time it also send extra torque to inner wheel .....

and there are many types of LSD avaialbe .... even the mazda RX8 comes with LSD RWD which is a gr8 track car

Last edited by Rahulkool : 16th May 2008 at 13:35.
Old 16th May 2008, 14:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
The type of LSD is used in this FIAT is Locker which help quit a lot in tracks. when you going round a corner this type of LSD will send extra torque to the inner wheel. In normal driving condition both wheels are tyoically locked in locker LSD but when the outer wheel starts to rotate faster(ie in turn) than the differential it allows it to turn freely(till it rotating faster than the differential) and that time it also send extra torque to inner wheel .....

and there are many types of LSD avaialbe .... even the mazda RX8 comes with LSD RWD which is a gr8 track car
But, this LSD is apparently disabled when Locker reaches speed of 20kph as far as I remember. I am trying to think about its usability then. Track definitely does not seem to be the place where it can be useful. Probably, it will help a bit to maintain some balance in the wheels on slippery and uneven surfaces. I do not see any more use here. Also, Locker does not have 4x4.
Old 16th May 2008, 15:04   #36
BHPian

Hey !!! Its a stunner of a car. What about GM selling a 2wd Captiva. Isn't that mockery. Atleast this car would do the job when needed (stuck in mud, i would prefer to get out of the mud rather than reach 20kmph) Maybe i am biased but i have fallen in love with it. If looks could kill i would have been dead atleast twice by now
motorheadinc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2008, 15:05   #37
BHPian

source: ::ITALIASPEED::

The system provides the car with a better scenario to extract itself from situations of adherence loss; the differential divides and distributes the torque between the two driveshafts and the wheel with lower adherence rotates more quickly while the other stays locked.

The resource can be enabled or disabled by the driver by the simple pressing of the "ELD" (Electronic Locker Differential) button located on the dashboard; however the system is only designed to be only used in specific situations at low speed, and for that reason, light and sound indicators warn the driver when the vehicle reaches 15 km/h, at which point the system is turned off automatically.

Another important modification present on the new Adventure version is to its suspension system; it is equipped with a new design of shock absorbers which have been dubbed "Powershock", a technology that has been developed by Magneti Marelli Cofap. Those shock absorbers have internal anti-roll springs which help provide a safer and steadier reaction to the steering wheel, making them very suitable for an off-road model.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Adventure Locker-1.jpg  

Fiat Adventure Locker-2.jpg  

Fiat Adventure Locker-3.jpg  

Fiat Adventure Locker-4.jpg  

Fiat Adventure Locker-5.jpg  

Old 16th May 2008, 15:14   #38
BHPian

What's new about the car it is its ELD system. Available at speeds below 20 km/h, the ELD partially compensates the lack of an AWD on slippery surfaces, such as wet clay (they don't have snow there in Brazil).

Well why should i pay for something which i may never need.
Fiat has done the right thing by offering what is required and at the right cost.
Atleast they have been successful at judging the Brazilian markets.

source: Fiat Palio Weekend Adventure Locker crossover goes to Brazil « Auto Review
Old 16th May 2008, 16:20   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need LSDs anywhere where one driven wheel loses traction. That could be the inside wheel on a tight corner, just as easily as it could be a wheel stuck in slush.

From what I know, shouldn't an LSD NOT behave like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Adventure Locker-15564d1210930463fiatadventurelocker2.jpg  

Last edited by v1p3r : 16th May 2008 at 16:22.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:41   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
You need LSDs anywhere where one driven wheel loses traction. That could be the inside wheel on a tight corner, just as easily as it could be a wheel stuck in slush.
And what kind of track demands this LSD which remains activated only under 20kmph? Do enlighten me.
Old 16th May 2008, 16:45   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Is he taking that portion of road above 15kph? I am just guessing... I have not done any "off-roading" as such, but isn't that speed too easy to reach?
Old 16th May 2008, 18:52   #42
Team-BHP Support

I have been stuck in situations in a FWD car where one wheel was spinning freely and other locked due to grip.
With such a mechanism, it would help in lots of offroad situations.
Its very rare for both wheels on a single axle to loose traction. Usually you lose traction on one wheel.
Old 16th May 2008, 19:01   #43
Team-BHP Support

I think this is will make an excellent bad road or mud road vehicle.
Old 16th May 2008, 20:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
The feature can be enabled or disabled by the driver by the simple pressing of the "ELD" (Electronic Locker Differential) button located on the dashboard;

IMO:
In case one - Maybe it was switched off.

In case two - Maybe it was switched on.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat Adventure Locker-1.jpg  

Fiat Adventure Locker-2.jpg  

Fiat Adventure Locker-3.jpg  

Old 16th May 2008, 23:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You need LSDs anywhere where one driven wheel loses traction. That could be the inside wheel on a tight corner, just as easily as it could be a wheel stuck in slush
However tight the corner may be, I dont think you'll have to slow down to less than 20kmph to take it. So this ELD thing definetly wont help on the track. By the time you switch it on, you would probably get round the bend !!

This beast is meant for the Indian roads, or rather for places where they used to have roads once upon a time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks