Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2005, 13:55   #1
BHPian

Is Ferrari really "THAT GOOD"?

We have always rated Ferraris as the hottest cars in the world. But I believe that it's more of an aura around them and the pedestal they are placed on like the Suzuki Hayabusa that makes them so famous. There have been numerous cars which have tended to be better than Ferraris virtually everywhere, but we've just turned a blind eye towards them. True, in 1987 Ferrari did do something ground breaking by launching the F40, but they have been stagnating ever since. I know u guys are "NOT" gonna agree n are gonna blast me, but I can prove that Ferrari is nothing but a fancy name.
Old 21st February 2005, 15:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

The word FERRARI is a household word these days...people associate ferrari with making fast and sexy looking sports cars. Even a kid knows what a ferrari may be.

Yes, there are cars much better than ferraris (Take the McLaren F1 as an example), but the ferraris are legendary. There is no other brand that may have such a fan following ever. Thats my say.

Drifter
Old 21st February 2005, 16:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_v12
True, in 1987 Ferrari did do something ground breaking by launching the F40, but they have been stagnating ever since. I know u guys are "NOT" gonna agree n are gonna blast me, but I can prove that Ferrari is nothing but a fancy name.
How do you prove that Ferrari is nothing but a fancy name?

They did build the F50 and the ENZO, after the F40, which is nothing short of ground breaking.

The olden day Ferraris such as the 250 GTO, the 288 GTO, the 333SP, the TR250, were all fantastic racing cars, which have many an event wins to their names. This doesnt mean, that the new age Ferraris are badly engineered cars, they are still machines which can hold their own around a track, or the concours. True, different people take to different brands. I, for example, am a Porsche fanatic. I could give you quite a few instances where the Porsche cars perform better than the Ferraris or quite a few other marques for that matter. The Porsche cars aren't quite the bang on the drag strip, but even the humble Boxster can hold it's own with much more expensive machinery around a race track. Though, the 355 still looks quite a bit better than quite a few Porsche cars. I still think that the sound of a 355 with Tubis, gives bliss a new meaning.

Some companies might compromise looks for performance, some compromise performance for looks. Either ways they all give us dope to drool at, and to dream about, every single day of our lives.

Does it really matter?
Old 21st February 2005, 17:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We have always rated Ferraris as the hottest cars in the world. But I believe that it's more of an aura around them and the pedestal they are placed on like the Suzuki Hayabusa that makes them so famous. There have been numerous cars which have tended to be better than Ferraris virtually everywhere, but we've just turned a blind eye towards them. True, in 1987 Ferrari did do something ground breaking by launching the F40, but they have been stagnating ever since. I know u guys are "NOT" gonna agree n are gonna blast me, but I can prove that Ferrari is nothing but a fancy name.

I agree! Ferrari is a highly overrated brand. More than anything, its their 'heritage' which gives them a larger than life image!
Old 21st February 2005, 19:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

hey lamborghini makes way better road cars (not limited ed. cars )..
but its not only the ferrari name which makes cars sell, they do deserve the credit for making good cars though sometimes quality is tacky...
i will stick to lambos though-
better cars,looks,performance,quality,driveability and ofcourse price
even porsche
right for its price
Old 21st February 2005, 22:13   #6
BANNED

a great start....non ferrari

Ferrari is more of a name now and less of a car maybe its coz of the impact from the F1 wins

but we always refer to these cars but then we let down some good manufacturers like Volvo,Volkswagen,Vauxhall,Renault etc

volvo had best of the cars as far as safety was considered what about the VW golf .....

my view :supercars like ferrari s and lambos or even mclarens for instance are not what a person like many of us would want to buy and maintain getting to own budget cars and maintain them is what we want to do

No wonder we call them dream cars
Old 22nd February 2005, 01:35   #7

If there was just one car I could pick out for myself, it wouldn't be a ferrari. It would be an Ariel Atom 2. :drool:
Old 22nd February 2005, 01:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, in 1987 Ferrari did do something ground breaking by launching the F40, but they have been stagnating ever since.
Do you seriously believe that?
Old 22nd February 2005, 01:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffst3r
If there was just one car I could pick out for myself, it wouldn't be a ferrari. It would be an Ariel Atom 2. :drool:
Dude, have you ever sat in one of those? You'd quickly change your mind! On anything but a track that car is a complete joke and is totally impractical and uncomfortable. Now if I had to pick one car for here in Bombay, it would definitely be an Evo VIII in one of the higher tuned engine specs, like maybe the FQ-340 version.
Old 22nd February 2005, 03:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

Well,firstly Ferrari is not a temple and Michael Schumacher is not GOD.
They make great car,no doubt about that.But look beyond that and one will see better cars.Its just the brand name FERRARI,bcos of which even the crappiest of thier cars are selling.Half the people all over the world driving a Ferrari dunt even use it to the max of the potential.They have been numerous complains and recalls of Ferraris all over.Go thru a couple of those Ferrari forums and one would know that its definately not the best car in the world.
Infact there is so much of that 'Ferrari positivity' around that everyone completely ignores all the 'negative' aspects.Some people just want to live thier so called 'Ferrari dream'.
Its not that i dunt like Ferrari,i do.But i dunt love them.I cant lose my sleep over them.No ways!!
Like someone's signature on this forum read,'Ferrari - the Italian trash'.
So very true.

X
Old 22nd February 2005, 05:26   #11
BHPian

Me too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75
Dude, have you ever sat in one of those? You'd quickly change your mind! On anything but a track that car is a complete joke and is totally impractical and uncomfortable. Now if I had to pick one car for here in Bombay, it would definitely be an Evo VIII in one of the higher tuned engine specs, like maybe the FQ-340 version.
Even though I Love the Ferrari brand name and their cars......i'd rather hav a Nissan Skyline GTR34 or a top of the line Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII or A Toyota Supra........
Recollect the one scene in "The Fast and the Furious" where the Black Ferrari 360 Spyder Pulls up to Paul Walker and Vin Diesel in the Supra....and the Ferrari guy insults Walker...Diesel tells walker to floor it...........will love to do something like that!!!
Old 22nd February 2005, 06:05   #12
BHPian

Hey.....

Forget sitting in a Ferrari to transform a non-believer into Tifosi just being in the prescence of one when is idling is enough!!
This company is the Epitome of Supercars!!!!
Forza Ferrari!!!
Old 22nd February 2005, 08:35   #13
Team-BHP Support

When I signed up for the Ferrari 360 course in Thruxton UK, I expected an orgiastic experience. True, I enjoyed the Ferrari and the melody of the engine (never say noise) as well as its lateral grip. However, my heart went for the Porsche Boxster that I drove earlier o nthe track - a much sweeter car. Next time, I want to pound a Lotus Elise for 14 laps and maybe get a few laps in a Porsche 911 turbo.

The issue is that Ferraris are become too faultless hence character gets eroded. More like an efficient killer who sings !
Old 22nd February 2005, 08:44   #14
BHPian

Not as lucky as you Dude........But the Porsche holds second place in my heart.....
Old 22nd February 2005, 13:04   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
When I signed up for the Ferrari 360 course in Thruxton UK, I expected an orgiastic experience.
What's the track at Thruxton like? Is it very tight and windey or are there any decent length straights?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed