Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2008, 08:08   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri View Post
It costs like 10 times more than the ZR1, so it better do it.

Anyway I seriously doubt the Veyron will be as good and agile around a track like the Nordschleife as it is on open roads. That's because it looks more of a touring car (or GT car) to me than a track car. I mean it's still seriously faster than the other cars out there (0-60, top speeds etc.), but I think that the tricked out Porsches, Corvettes and even Nissans could perform better round a circuit than the Veyron.

You say that now.But when hennessey gets ready to tune the veyron who knows,it may even touch 450.So a tricked out veyron can rape other tricked out cars.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punterccrx8s View Post
Pretty impressive being an american car.I have never liked the corvette.But the zr1 is a serious contender in the supercar world. Once the veyron is taken to nurburgring nordscheife,it'll be good bye everything else.
You couldnt be more wrong with the veyron statement. The bug has nothing more than sheer super sonic speed in straights, its not a track car. Not that ZR1 is a track car, but ZR1 is like 600lb lighter and was designed with everything in mind whereas veyron was designed with one thing in mind, top speed...

Veyron is supposedly gone around the ring in 7:40 or higher not lower.

I doubt Veyron will be able to go much lower than 7:35-7:40.

Enzo should be in the 20s as well.

F430 Scud was recently run I think with a time of 7:39 but then again it cant be compared to the ZR1 times because it was not F Driver driving it.

Another thing that no one has mentioned here about the ZR1...
1. It was driven by a test engg(a ballsy one at that), even though he is an awesome driver, he would not be able to beat the best time by a corvette racing team driver. I think ZR1 is a 7:15-7:20 car with the best driver driving it in good conditions. But 7:26 is crazy fast for a semi pro(test engg) and even then it mentioned he could have gone faster if not for the head wind.

2. It wasnt tuned to be the quickest around the ring unlike the GT-R or the NSX or the LF-A. The number of times one would have seen either of the 3 Jap supercars. Even then with a good driver the car achieved insanely quick times.

3. Another thing we figured from this blog was that Z06 was run from a stand start which means it would have been sub 40s with a flying start on cheesy tires.

Anyhow I think its phenomenal what GM has achieved but too bad GM didnt see it as a necessity to send their best to do the job. After all it has the same brakes as the Enzo and FXX (and are standard)...

Last edited by 1Day : 29th June 2008 at 09:12.
Old 29th June 2008, 14:18   #18
BHPian

Quote:
You say that now.But when hennessey gets ready to tune the veyron who knows,it may even touch 450.So a tricked out veyron can rape other tricked out cars.
By tricked out cars, I didn't mean tricked out by independent tuners. I meant factory tuned versions like the Corvette ZR1 (upgrade from a Z06), the Nissan GT-R Spec V (from the Gt-R), maybe a 2009 Honda NSX type R etc.

And even if the Veyron is tuned to go up to 450 kph doesn't mean that it will be faster round a circuit. They have to make it lighter (by like 500 pounds) and improve the handling dynamics as well (suspension, chassis, differential tuning).
Old 30th June 2008, 10:51   #19
Senior - BHPian

Another little unconfirmed fact that someone told me about the run.

ZR1 run was a complete lap not bridge to gantry like the GT-R run which adds additional 4-6 secs, putting everything into place, you are looking at an insane car which could on its best day dip into low 7:10s with the right driver(provided this info is good)
Old 30th June 2008, 16:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Did this one also had leaf springs in the rear?
Old 30th June 2008, 17:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
You couldnt be more wrong with the veyron statement. The bug has nothing more than sheer super sonic speed in straights, its not a track car. Not that ZR1 is a track car, but ZR1 is like 600lb lighter and was designed with everything in mind whereas veyron was designed with one thing in mind, top speed...

Veyron is supposedly gone around the ring in 7:40 or higher not lower.

I doubt Veyron will be able to go much lower than 7:35-7:40.
According to the lap times shown on wiki,Veyron hasn't been tested on the ring.I dont know.Plus just because its heavy doesnt mean it cant handle the corners.Jeremy Clarkson says that if the veyron was allowed on the top gear track,it would beat everything.So i dont see any reason why it cant do the same in germany.I maybe was wrong about that.

But i have one doubt,does lap time settings involve categorising cars.Like for example a murcielago as a supercar and a ariel atom as a god knows what ,Or are all timings irrespective of the type of car?

I also seriously doubt that it was built only for speed.If it was then it would have lacked the luxury features it has.For example take the ssc aero tt.It may have beaten the bugatti's top speed,but the car was just hidious to look at and looked like it would fal apart within three runs.Whereas the bug was built to last for 20 years.Anyway ,lets end this.Its off topic.

Last edited by punterccrx8s : 30th June 2008 at 17:44.
Old 30th June 2008, 22:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
yup thats right..

@punterccrx8s

If say leave it, I will leave it, but since when is Jeremy an authority in automotive know how..I still stand that Veyron is an awesome machine but not a track car that could complete with these machines on the ring..
Old 30th June 2008, 23:42   #23
BHPian

^Agreed. And Lets not even go to the price Vs. performance field. The Ring belongs to the Americans and the Japanese as of now.
Old 1st July 2008, 05:45   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Day View Post
yup thats right..

@punterccrx8s

If say leave it, I will leave it, but since when is Jeremy an authority in automotive know how..I still stand that Veyron is an awesome machine but not a track car that could complete with these machines on the ring..

Maybe.But i did not know that.So are the lap times based on types of cars or just all vehicles that try?
Old 1st July 2008, 09:36   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post

Before we all end this discussion, I just wanted to show what kind of a leaf spring the Corvettes have. It's called a transverse leaf spring and is parallel to the width of the car, unlike traditional leaf springs which replace coil over shock absorbers. The Corvette still uses a fully independent double wishbone suspension, which is pretty much the standard on all track worthy cars.

A lot of people are misinformed and do not realize this, hence I want to end it all at once.

Here's the text copied from the suspension bible online:
Transverse leaf-spring

This system is a bit odd in that it combines independent double wishbone suspension with a leaf spring like you'd normally find on the rear suspension. Famously used on the Corvette, it involves one leaf spring mounted across the vehicle, connected at each end to the lower wishbone. The centre of the spring is connected to the front subframe in the middle of the car. There are still two shock absorbers, mounted one to each side on the lower wishbones. Chevy insist that this is the best thing since sliced bread for a suspension system but there are plenty of other experts, manufacturers and race drivers who think it's junk. It's never been clear if this was a performance and design decision or a cost issue, but this type of system is very rare.

And here's the actual link:
Car Bibles : The Car Suspension Bible page 1 of 2
Attached Thumbnails
corvette zr1 new nurburing track record-transverseleafspring.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd July 2008 at 12:49. Reason: Rephrased.
Old 1st July 2008, 19:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Another thing I have heard is that this is a "keep the speculation on the down low and people busy talking" time and not the final time. I am told GM will do another run with a pro driver in it, if not this year then sometime next year.

But this is just so that people stop talking about other cars and concentrate on ZR1..

I love this car!! what a machine!!
Old 11th July 2008, 05:48   #27
BHPian

GM has released the official video of the ZR1 lapping the Ring. What an amazing piece of driving by Jim Mero and what a car.

A lot of the people think that 4-5 seconds could easily be shaved off the lap time, since the driver made a few mistakes in some of the turns and there was a strong headwind.

Also GM has officially said that: "the lap was done on the same Michelin Pilot Sport 2s as the production model, and retains the same ride height, engine calibrations and emissions equipment, along with running pump gas".

Here's the link
VIDEO: GM releases Corvette ZR1's 7:26.4 'Ring attack - Autoblog
Old 11th July 2008, 19:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

I am came across the videos about this feat. As its related with this topic, I am posting the link here:

1)
VIDEO: Corvette ZR1 7min 26.4sec Nurburgring Run

2)
VIDEO Split-Screen: Nissan GT-R vs. Corvette ZR1 on the Nurburgring
Old 11th July 2008, 19:17   #29
BHPian

Awesome video.Saw it today morning.The driver should get have of the credit.Superb car.I underestimated it.Both the ZR-1 and Jim mero should be apprciated.

1Day......How does the corvette Z06 handle?
Old 11th July 2008, 20:32   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Awesome video.Saw it today morning.The driver should get have of the credit.Superb car.I underestimated it.Both the ZR-1 and Jim mero should be apprciated.

1Day......How does the corvette Z06 handle?
Almost as good as the ZR1, but ZR1 has the advantage of better tires, the best brakes in the business and ofcourse a state of the art suspension, but even after that the Z06 with similar power wouldnt be far behind.

(BTW the BBK kit that costs 15k extra in porsche and 30k in enzo costs between 7-8k coming from GM as a replacement, i am thinking what to do )

the more i see the ZR1, the more i love it and want to cancel my GTR order and get one of these..we will see..

After seeing the split you can see that there is something fishy about the nissan, in no way can the nissan keep up with the ZR1 on the straightway at the end with almost identical speeds even if the ZR1 was faced with the head wind. I guess when the cars are out we will have to setup a track day to really figure out how much gas is nissan giving..

Last edited by 1Day : 11th July 2008 at 20:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks