Team-BHP > The International Automotive Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2008, 08:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

All Mercedes cars to be turbocharged by 2010

Quote:
DUSSELDORF, Germany -- Mercedes-Benz will introduce turbocharged engines across its entire lineup in the next two-and-a-half years.

"All our vehicles will have turbocharged engines in series production by the end of 2010 at the latest," Thomas Weber, Daimler board member responsible for research and development, told Automotive News Europe at a press event here.

Forthcoming legislation in Europe and the U.S. is forcing automakers to reduce auto emissions.

Demand for turbochargers is growing because they offer a proven and relatively inexpensive way to reduce fuel consumption. With the addition of a turbocharger, Daimler will be able to install smaller, lighter and more fuel-efficient engines without sacrificing performance.
Under current proposals, the European Commission will ask the German automaker to cut its average fleet emissions from 178 grams per kilometer to 138 g/km by 2012. The Commission will fine automakers that fail to meet the targets.

Improving the efficiency of its existing engines is the first part of Daimler's strategy to reduce CO2 emission levels across its fleet. Weber said the medium-term step would be to introduce more hybrid technology. The S class -- Mercedes' flagship sedan -- will be offered as a full hybrid vehicle starting in 2009.

Weber also said that zero-emission driving is the German automaker's long-term goal. To get there, the automaker plans to use technology such as fuel cells and electric-powered vehicles. A full-electric version of the ForTwo from Mercedes sister brand Smart goes into production in 2010.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2008...2&Profile=1193
Old 18th July 2008, 15:03   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Its nice to see Mercedes-Benz leading initiatives and automotive philosophies with these moves. The Japs however will probably pursue their paradigm of NA engines that give 25 kmpl !
Old 18th July 2008, 15:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Its nice to see Mercedes-Benz leading initiatives and automotive philosophies with these moves. The Japs however will probably pursue their paradigm of NA engines that give 25 kmpl !
Wait till they put turbos on them and deliver good performance too.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:07   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Sweeeeeeeeeeet !

Good thinking by MB to give smaller engines with turbo to give a perfect balance of power and FE.
I expect most manufacturers to adopt this concept.
Old 18th July 2008, 17:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Will They make it to the petrol models also.
an AUDI A4 1.8T competitor sort?
Old 18th July 2008, 18:09   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This news is more applicable to petrol Benz' since nearly all Merc diesels of today have turbochargers anyways.

What happens to Mercs superchargers? Abandoned? Turbo-petrols run better on premium fuels, so it will be interesting to see how Merc handles this. Also, turbos require a little more care than a normally aspirated car does.
Old 18th July 2008, 21:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Waa..? 2010 is round the corner and I don't see any sign of a single petrol turbo except for the Maybach engine.
Old 18th July 2008, 22:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good news. They are now working hard.
They have pretty optimistic figures and dead lines, but I hope they make it.

I am curious about how will they adopt. Will it be supercharger for lower band and turbocharger for higher band ?

I think they will also come up with solenoid valves around the same time.
Old 19th July 2008, 07:29   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Waa..? 2010 is round the corner and I don't see any sign of a single petrol turbo except for the Maybach engine.
... and the AMG bi-turbos

I think the TBHP thread title :
Quote:
All Mercedes cars to be turbocharged by 2010
and the first line of the article :
Quote:
DUSSELDORF, Germany -- Mercedes-Benz will introduce turbocharged engines across its entire lineup in the next two-and-a-half years.
...say slightly different things.

I think the article might mean that every car in the Merc lineup will have a turbocharged engine option (ie atleast one of the many engine options that will be offered).

Still a tall task in < 2 years though....

cya
R
Old 19th July 2008, 08:40   #10
BHPian

Looks like they could do a Nissan by having a twin turbo V6 instead of an AMG V8. The driving experience will never be the same (as naturally aspirated engines), but all is good in the name of lower emissions and better fuel economy.

Btw on a totally separate note, Audi seems to be taking the supercharger route by asking Eaton to make superchargers for its FSI V6.

Eaton is the same company which makes the superchargers for the LS3 in the Corvette ZR1 and the new Cadillac CTS-V.

Eaton tapped to produce superchargers for Audi - Autoblog
Old 19th July 2008, 23:59   #11
BHPian

Couple of years back, when barrel was around 40 bucks, I heard from someone that mercedes is going no where with their SuperChargers and may shift to TurboChargers. I dunno if he was talking from knowledge or just guess work, but looks like a combination of high gas prices, emissions and technology is driving merc towards turbos.
Old 20th July 2008, 00:21   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Turbo-petrols run better on premium fuels, so it will be interesting to see how Merc handles this. Also, turbos require a little more care than a normally aspirated car does.
That's true for a conventional turbo engine. but most turbo spark-ignited engines are going to be DI, and that brings down the octane requirement significantly. More importantly, look for a torque curve like this one:

Attached Thumbnails
All Mercedes cars to be turbocharged by 2010-gxp4sz.jpg  

Last edited by ananthkamath : 20th July 2008 at 00:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks